Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1.07 patch detailed (stash, movement weight, inventory sorting, new cat, horse penis enlargement)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Uh, no. All things being equal, you always want to be running the latest drivers. There are occasions when an older driver set might give you what you think is better performance, but usually that's completely placebo. If your rig is properly set up, if everything else in it is configured the way it should be, newest drivers are always best.

Perkel

Arcane
I mean trying to run a game as demanding as this one without running the latest drivers for your GPU then complaining about getting mysterious crashes?

Wow.

nvidia fucked up drivers.
Not only they basically stopped support for older cards (keppler which was like a year ago) but also they fucked up drivers not once but few times.

I am using my 7970 and at time of release it was card that was essentially little worse than 680.
Now after drivers updates it often go head to head with 780ti lol and in games like witcher and newer ones beats it.

I guess their GCN architecture really does wonders for driver support.

Uh, no. All things being equal, you always want to be running the latest drivers. There are occasions when an older driver set might give you what you think is better performance, but usually that's completely placebo. If your rig is properly set up, if everything else in it is configured the way it should be, newest drivers are always best.

You always want to run latest drivers if they fucking work properly in first place. Which isn't a case for nvidia drivers released recently.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You're insane and paranoid. I'm running two GTX760's (Kepler) and they perform wonderfully in TW3, at usages typically above 90% on each card (further justifying and legitimizing SLI but that's another subject).

GeForce isn't "fucked up". It's never perfect, and never will be, but still vastly better than Catalyst. While Nvidia does tend to drag its feet on certain issues, they still make a very stable product. People should be blaming CDPR for those CTD's, since it's their fault.

The fact that you're running red now probably means you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Quit listening to the whinging retards at Nvidia's forums. They're all idiots, too.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
There was also the time when Nvidia released two straight "recommended" (i.e. not beta) drivers with massive memory leaking, so you couldn't even watch an entire movie without massive framedrops if you didn't reboot constantly.

Still better than ATI/AMD cards though.

flyingjohn

Arcane
A word of warning for jumping on new drivers they don't always mean better performance.
If you don't have a maxwell card the new drivers gimp the performance, and sometimes new drivers fuck up fps even for new cards.(gta v case)
The golden rule is if you aren't experiencing major lag or graphical issues stick with your current drivers.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Got a 970 and all of a sudden I'm getting all of those issues.

A) You got a bad card.
B) You didn't properly uninstall all possible traces of your old Catalyst drivers.
C) Something else unrelated is now unstable in your computer, coincidentally.
D) Any number of other myriad reasons.

If everyone who owns a GTX970 were experiencing frequent CTD's in this game then we wouldn't see so many first-hand reports that the game runs great with that card.

It's you.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
BTW, here's my initial (mostly technical) 1.07 report:

I like the game more now. 1.07 seems to have improved in the areas it promised to, mostly so far for me the elimination afaict of the nasty NPC pop-in. I only recently reached Novigrad, which is an area notorious for complaints about poor framerate and whole herds of NPC's suddenly appearing out of nowhere. I'm almost shocked how well my rig's running it. I can walk around with 20-30 NPC's milling around in the most detailed areas of the city such as its town square and I'm cruising pretty at 60fps solid. And is it just me or are CTD's getting rarer? I played in Novigrad last night on-and-off for over three hours without even having to restart the game.

Performance in the swamp under 1.07 was a little less stellar; I think I picked up maybe 2-3fps advantage with the patch so clearly there is still some aspect there that's straining the engine. Way too many branches, shadows, mist effect, etc. That may never get "fixed", but it's not so bad.

Also, as an aside, loving Gwent. LOVING it. Almost creates as strong an impetus to advance in the game as its main plot does alone.

Edit: Forgot to mention, and only out of fairness, that texture and decal pop-in are still present. It's mostly not noticeable, handled far enough away when you're traveling so as not to be ridiculous, but there are times when it's very distracting. I have the saddle bags on Roach that have the checker pattern on them (the Nilfgaardian ones), obv a decal texture, and I can be less than a few yards away from him when it suddenly "fills in" that detail. So it's a little annoying, but we all know we have to accommodate our poor retarded console players, right?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Also, as an aside, loving Gwent. LOVING it. Almost creates as strong an impetus to advance in the game as its main plot does alone.
It's fun until you have the best deck around, just like real life :M

I think they missed the gold sink opportunity by not selling booster packs.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Got a 970 and all of a sudden I'm getting all of those issues.

A) You got a bad card.
B) You didn't properly uninstall all possible traces of your old Catalyst drivers.
C) Something else unrelated is now unstable in your computer, coincidentally.
D) Any number of other myriad reasons.

If everyone who owns a GTX970 were experiencing frequent CTD's in this game then we wouldn't see so many first-hand reports that the game runs great with that card.

It's you.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=nvidia+970+353.06+problems

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/36hrd4/35286_driver_kernel_crash_with_chrome/

...and so on. Last few nvidia drivers have been garbage, unfortunately. I just don't see in what way catalyst are worse.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
What's wrong with reddit as one of many sources of crash reports? It's a known issue, even in this post there are people exepriencing the same issue. So you can keep up with your "la la la la everything is fine, u is dumb dumb" thing or admit that nvidia fucked up last few releases at least( i have no personal experience prior to 350)

And again, what's so bad with amd drivers? in what ways are they worse than nvidia?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I won't attempt to quantify my criticisms of Catalyst since I can't do so (or I refuse to take the time to do so, rather) any better than you're harping on GeForce, so I'll drop the green vs. red thing for now.

And I'll even go so far as to agree with you regarding TDU's in the latest GeForce releases, although I don't think they're as bad as are reported; it happened to me a few times with 353.12 I believe (mostly in my browser) so I did downgrade at the time.

But I still submit that these are the normal and expected kinds of issues that we face as advanced users as opposed to people who never even know what a driver is. Nvidia, on a whole, is a solid company with solid products in my opinion. I have been using them for, what, ten years now? And I've always been more than satisfied.

If you can say the same for AMD, good for you. Then again, you yourself recently switched. :troll:

Gerrard

Arcane
The only difference is that you run instantly without the walk->run transition. Which also means you cannot turn in place anymore without using walk modifier.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's an improvement but still not ideal. I still find myself having to manoeuvre Geralt into just the right position to manipulate certain stuff, especially indoors.

Perkel

Arcane
You're insane and paranoid. I'm running two GTX760's (Kepler) and they perform wonderfully in TW3, at usages typically above 90% on each card (further justifying and legitimizing SLI but that's another subject).

GeForce isn't "fucked up". It's never perfect, and never will be, but still vastly better than Catalyst. While Nvidia does tend to drag its feet on certain issues, they still make a very stable product.

I am not insane nor paranoid and "fucked up" was for their drivers not nvidia itself. Nvidia for over last 1,5 year has shit drivers. Latest bunch of drivers works mostly for Maxwell cards but for other older cards it is shit and few games have problem with it.

As for Kepler doing "wonderfully". Do i need to remember you that 7xx was supposed to be new generation past AMD r2xx cards let alone their HD7xxx series ?
In new games keppler performance is shit. 7xx should beat r2xx line without problems but with new games they lag behind their old competitors or they are fighting with their generation behind friends.

Nvidia even released drivers especially to handle performance problems with keppler cards which did exactly nothing to fix it.
It means two things:

- Either AMD released amazing GPUs in their time but were slowed down by not really good drivers which is rather not possible considering R&D cost of Nvidia compared to AMD
- Or Nvidia simply consider keppler finished product and they don't give a fuck about creating better drivers for their older cards and by older i mean a year ago at minimum. Thus why in new games those GPUS are slowed down by shitty drivers.

And no CTD problems caused by installing new drivers isn't CDPR fault but drivers creator fault. Though in is in CDPR job to try and fix those issues fast as they can.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
There's a bug with Skellige Most Wanted quest after patch 1.07.
The patch has apparently introduced a number of new quest bugs. I've ran into one so far, a halfling merchant in Novigrad that couldn't be talked to in a minor quest that seemed to work perfectly before. The patches have added some good stuff and genuine improvements, but each of them also seems to bring along a host of new problems.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
A whole bunch of unsubtantiated bullshit

Dude,

Release 352 Graphics Drivers for Windows, Version 353.30

- Implements optimizations and bug fixes that provide increased performance for Kepler-based GPUs.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/353.30/353.30-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf

What the hell are you talking about?

Edit: Ah, I see you actually acknowledged the above, but you're choosing to believe that the release notes mean nothing or are... lying? Can you provide any proof about your claims that Kepler (not "Keppler") has been left by the wayside by Nvidia? Because as I said above my two 760's would like to have a word with you.

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How can people get fired up over technicalities like this shit?
Holy crap what the fuck is happening here?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom