Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News WTF - Baldur's Gate complete remake for NWN2 released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate; Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast; Neverwinter Nights 2

If you thought the Icewind Dale remake from last year was insane, wait till you see this. From Kotaku:

It took him seven years, but yesterday, game designer Drew Rechner finally released Baldur's Gate: Reloaded, a ridiculous mod that puts the entirety of BioWare's classic RPG—including the expansion, Tales of the Sword Coast—into Neverwinter Nights 2.​

To play the mod, you'll need a copy of Neverwinter Nights 2 and its expansions Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir (which you can get as one big package on GOG). Then you can download and install the mod for free right here.​

I'm still kind of stunned that this exists, and I'm strongly considering re-buying NWN2 just to check it out. Rechner, who says the bulk of work on this mod was done by him and a programmer, Shallina, tells me this project helped him get into the game industry. He worked at TimeGate Studios (Section 8) until recently, and he was let go just before they shut down.​

Baldur's Gate. In 3D! Amazing.​

Well, I'm not sure how "amazing" that is, but damn, that's a lot of work.

Last edited by a moderator:

J1M

Arcane
Did he rip all of the audio from baldur's gate?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
This is insane, how many of such projects existed? As far as I remember not one even managed to reach the middle-point.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I still don't get why he doesn't go make original content instead. And this got him a job in the games industry? Even they seem to value people who are only good at copying other ideas. :decline:

no I'm not bitter

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
what's the point of this
Now you can play Baldur's Gate with the horribly clunky combat it was always meant to be experienced

Relive classic battles in the sword coast as you rage at your NPCs shifting around and suffering half a dozen attacks of opportunity even with AI turned off

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I still don't get why he doesn't go make original content instead. And this got him a job in the games industry? Even they seem to value people who are only good at copying other ideas. :decline:

no I'm not bitter

So how's your own job search going, sea?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

no I'm not bitter
Yes, you are. :roll:

If you can make dozens of well done areas in a modtool (original content or not), scripting hundreds of quest and dialogues, it is a pretty good piece of reference in a job application.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I dunno, I've already finished Mysteries of Westgate which is what I initially bought the NWN2 Complete on GOG for, so I somewhat feel like giving this a try.

Still have a few games to try out/finish before that, though. If somebody actually gets around to playing this, your impressions would be appreciated!

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I dunno, I've already finished Mysteries of Westgate which is what I initially bought the NWN2 Complete on GOG for, so I somewhat feel like giving this a try.

Still have a few games to try out/finish before that, though. If somebody actually gets around to playing this, your impressions would be appreciated!
You really should lay off the bottle for a while, Bee.

Crooked Bee

Patron

You really should lay off the bottle for a while, Bee.

I haven't actually touched the bottle for a few weeks due to work which I had to basically do 24/7, and I won't have the opportunity to relax any more until July or so due to various office politics and shit like that -- I have to always be on top, you know! (figuratively, of course!) -- so I do deserve a laissez-fair night, don't I? I'm also playing a Wizardry-like at the moment on another laptop, which goes extremely well with booze, or so I've found. :cool:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
what's the point of this
Now you can play Baldur's Gate with the horribly clunky combat it was always meant to be experienced

Relive classic battles in the sword coast as you rage at your NPCs shifting around and suffering half a dozen attacks of opportunity even with AI turned off

THIS! The Baldur's Gate series seems dated now graphically speaking, but the gameplay was leaps and bounds better than the crappy Aurora engine. This was a waste of a man's time.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
what's the point of this

This was a waste of a man's time.

He probably enjoyed doing it and it netted him a job in the gaming industry. This is not what I call wasting one's time.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Face it J_C, you're just butthurt about anything remotely bad said about Obsidian, in this case the fact that the NWN2 engine is SHIT.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

no I'm not bitter
The games industry doesn't want ideas from entry-level employees. What they want is people who can complete their assigned tasks to spec and schedule.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

no I'm not bitter
The games industry doesn't want ideas from entry-level employees. What they want is people who can complete their assigned tasks to spec and schedule.
Considering it took him 7 years he must have been hired by Blizzard

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Face it J_C, you're just butthurt about anything remotely bad said about Obsidian, in this case the fact that the NWN2 engine is SHIT.
No, I'm just right. And who said that the engine is not shit? It is. Doesn't change the fact that the guy enjoyed the modding and got a job as a result, meaning that it wasn't a waste of time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

no I'm not bitter
Considering it took him 7 years he must have been hired by Blizzard

He worked with Anthony Davis at Timegate. Getting fired recently must have given him the time to finish this thing off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom