Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Alpha Protocol Video Walkthrough

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I forgot to put in a word for NWN. I apologize. It being such an.. well, excellent game, in some way. I have yet to discover how. If there's one good thing to be said about BioWare that should be obvious, it is that they've never managed to make as atrocious a game again as NWN.

Thinking the side missions were unnecessary and not BioWare's best work like every other BW fanboy doesn't really make you critical of faults in ME."

u r reTARD

Lurkar

Scholar
Rosh said:
KOTOR ... The characters were also some of the best I've seen in any CRPG lately. They weren't the annoyingly emo shits found in Baldur's Gate 1&2

Oh just admit that you never actually played KotOR.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Better music agreed. But then KoTOR was Jeremy Soule, so not hard to outdo that. It's almost cheating.

Jeremy Soule's work may suck overall, but he has produced some good music in the past. Icewind Dale soundtrack was nice and so was KOTOR's one. Not as good as the KOTOR 2 one though. Which was the only thing KOTOR 2 was better at from the original.

And Volourn seriously, ME better universe than KOTOR? Wtf, are you drunk? Also, since I haven't played ME and can't comment on the other categories you mentioned I'll just assume you were speaking bullshit about these too.

kris

Arcane
Lurkar said:
Rosh said:
KOTOR ... The characters were also some of the best I've seen in any CRPG lately. They weren't the annoyingly emo shits found in Baldur's Gate 1&2

Only Carth was a EMO bitch.

Lurkar

Scholar
kris said:
Lurkar said:
Rosh said:

Only Carth was a EMO bitch.

Carth and Bastilla were both emo bitches, T3 had no personality. Mission was GENERIC SPUNKY FEMALE THIEF that appears in every game that has ever been created since the dawn of time. Hanhar was the outcast from a proud warrior race, my that seems familiar.

The only two NPCs that stood out were Jolee and HK. That makes it the game with the best characters in any CRPG lately? Please.

Rosh

Erudite
Lurkar said:
Carth and Bastilla were both emo bitches, T3 had no personality. Mission was GENERIC SPUNKY FEMALE THIEF that appears in every game that has ever been created since the dawn of time. Hanhar was the outcast from a proud warrior race, my that seems familiar.

The only two NPCs that stood out were Jolee and HK. That makes it the game with the best characters in any CRPG lately? Please.

Compared to some that BioWare and others, including certain spy clichés, those were some of the best characters. Maybe because, in that game, the cliché fit. To anyone aware of life before the 80s, Star Wars was little but one running gag of the changes in space opera.

Unfortunately, when I consider BioWare game characters to be well designed (even if by accident), that is a sign of how truly bad the industry has fallen.

So uh...how about those Alpha Protocol characters?

kris

Arcane
Lurkar said:
Carth and Bastilla were both emo bitches,

Bastila wasn't emo, especially not for a woman. she begins as a bit arrogant and self assured woman, but then lose faith in herself and her beliefs (which is the most common star wars theme you can find for jedi). Then she turns into powermonger badass and lastly it depends on your decisions on how she ends.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Rosh said:
Lurkar said:

Compared to some that BioWare and others, including certain spy clichés, those were some of the best characters. Maybe because, in that game, the cliché fit. To anyone aware of life before the 80s, Star Wars was little but one running gag of the changes in space opera.

Unfortunately, when I consider BioWare game characters to be well designed (even if by accident), that is a sign of how truly bad the industry has fallen.

So uh...how about those Alpha Protocol characters?
How come cliches fit Star Wars universe but not the spy setting? And WTF? Bloodlines didn't happen or does the game have worse characters than KoTOR?

Rosh

Erudite
Volrath said:
Rosh likes KotoR :decline:

I wouldn't necessarily say "likes", because I have serious issues with much of the game. But at BioWare games go, it's at least playable...sort of. It is certainly still better than their recent pretentious attempts in the CRPG genre.

Given the original topic of discussion and the studio involved, KoTOR could by all means be called a great game, given Obsidian's recent offerings (unless you count the coulda-shoulda-woulda song they've been singing for the last decade plus).

Jim Cojones said:
How come cliches fit Star Wars universe but not the spy setting?

To understand this, you'll have to understand that space opera has been around for a lot, LOT longer than Star Wars.

Star Wars was really a parody of sorts in the genre. Not a "Wil Ferrell" kind of parody, but it certainly was poking a bit of fun at the typical tropes of the time.

The whole spy cliche parody has been done before, and in a game that still offers better than this shitter (oops, I meant shooter) Ass Effect clone promises to be, minus an already pretentiously over-hyped speech system. That game was called NOLF.

Cliches really only work if the style is a bit campy (again, not shitty like Wil Ferrell) and poke fun at the cliches. If we wanted cliches, most intelligent people would rather prefer the originals that set those cliches in the first place. Going through the same old hat shit doesn't speak of entertainment, but rip-off material where the authors lacked creativity and originality.

And WTF? Bloodlines didn't happen or does the game have worse characters than KoTOR?

I said "some of the best" as Bloodlines characters pretty much teabag the living shit out of most trash offered lately.

Rosh

Erudite
Jasede said:
Rosh and KOTOR, sitting in a tree~

You're just jealous of KoTOR, and that relationship has been LONG over. I've since found someone else and I'm going to be giving birth in a few years. :cool:

KKKthulhu.

Educated
Rosh I love your insanity, but Star Wars wasn't a parody. It was Lucas' homage to all the movies he was influenced by.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom