Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How should WoW end? How should any MMO end?

Secretninja

Cipher
I R Xpert. I R also quitor

Kingston said:
I stopped caring about Warcraft when WC3 came out. What the fuck was wrong with having orcs and humans and them killing each other over and over again?

No, seriously, what is wrong with that? It's a good and fun premise, no need to fuck it up with stupid elves and demons from other dimensions or whatever the fuck is going on in WoW.

It makes a bit more sense if you recall that Blizz's original design was to have seven (!) factions (undead, demons, high elves and trolls) and a persistent single-player campaign world (ala a crpg world). The more conventional rts that eventuated was the result of them realising how ridiculously over-ambitious that was.

As it was, it took the franchise in a different direction than Starcraft, whereas previously it was a simpler version of SC with fantasy graphics instead of sci-fi graphics. Regardless of which model you prefer, it was good thinking - making one franchise a pure rts and the other a hero-rts-hybrid.

Data4

Arcane
Rosh said:
Did you hear the latest?

Players are now so lazy and/or attached to their characters, Blizzard caved in and so quite possibly soon you will be able to change factions.

...WoW, indeed.

Wait... what!?! Got a link? I have to see this for myself.

Are we talking Orcs in Stormwind, humans in Undercity, etc. now?

Cambios

Scholar
Yeah... what the heck? Change factions.

Can someone link to more info on that?

Rosh

Erudite
made said:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=69505.0

People called me crazy when I said it was just a matter of time.

And a funny quotes from there:

Chronalis:
Oh.... my.... god

Sorry, but i laughed so hard at this. So, when will they allow any class to be any race?

Painal:

Mounts: will you loose all your mounts? some? get equivilents?
Titles: if youve done the agent tourney achievements will there be orcs with "of Stormwind " titles
Acheivements : Such as loremaster, or titles above, or the killing of enemy faction leaders
Gear: With faction specific gear coming soon, how would they sort that out?

It takes a fan to point out developer stupidity in whoreishness again.

To best describe their design direction, I have to bring out the old WoM acronym:
World of Moroncraft

Data4

Arcane
Oh jeez, they're doing it half-assed. I mean, it's stupid to begin with, but if you're going to o something like this, go all the way. There WON'T be orcs in Stormwind, humans in Undercity, etc. Your character is going to be converted to an opposite faction equivalent.

It'd be much more ballsy to allow for defections. On a PvP server, it could add a whole new aspect.

Silellak

Cipher
Data4 said:
Oh jeez, they're doing it half-assed. I mean, it's stupid to begin with, but if you're going to o something like this, go all the way. There WON'T be orcs in Stormwind, humans in Undercity, etc. Your character is going to be converted to an opposite faction equivalent.

It'd be much more ballsy to allow for defections. On a PvP server, it could add a whole new aspect.

"Ballsy" has no place in WoW development. Blizzard plays it as safe as possible. I mean, even the game itself is just a more user (or, as Rosh would say, "moron") friendly version of the EQ-style games that came before it, with a healthy dose of ideas stolen from City of Heroes and other places.

WoW did nothing original, it just made the genre accessable to the unwashed masses by making it as easy as possible.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Some updates
7/1- Due to the many questions that have come up with the announcement of this new service, we wanted to take the time to answer the ones we can at this point in time.

Q. Will we be able to switch between the races on our own faction?
A.. No. Players will only be able to switch to a race of the opposite faction.

Q. Will I be able to choose the race on the opposite faction that I want to change to?
A.. Yes, but you will only be able to switch to a race that has your class type available to it. So if you play a human paladin, you’d only be able to change to a blood elf paladin.

Q.How much will it cost?
A.. We do not have further information on this at this point in time.

Q.Will I be able to switch back to my original faction but a different race?
A.. No. You will only be able to switch back to your originally chosen race.

Q.. How will the switch between reputation, gear, mounts, etc be handled?
A.. We’ll have more details for you at a later point in time, though we plan to keep these as close to a reflection of the other faction as much as possible.

Q.How often can you change your faction?
A..We do not have any information to share on this at this point in time, however we will have restrictions on the frequency by which players can change their faction.

Q. How will this affect the balance of Horde and Alliance on the realms?
A.. We are taking great care in how we implement this new service in order to maintain balance between the factions on the realms but do not have any further details to share.

poopsydoodles

Novice
i think WoW should end with john blakely waking up in a cold sweat panting rapidly then he looks around with quivering frightened eyes as he clutches his piss-drenched bedsheets against him in tremulous terror then slowly he regains his wits and heaves with a final sigh of relief, "thank god it was only a dream" but then we see next to him on the bed there's a licensed vinyl murloc collectible semi-poseable figurine OR WAS IT

Xi

Arcane
Wow should end like a terrible rash that goes away after rubbing on enough anti-itch cream. The itch is just too addictive! Addiction equates to lost time, friends, social life, downward drift in social status, lower income, etc.

WoW isn't particularly an exciting game to play either. It's just so damn formulaic that the item grind, simple PvP, and Dungeon/Raiding seem worth while, even though the time commitment is just too great.

I think Diablo 3 should be the killer. It's a similar game, but the time commitment, isn't nearly as great. Plus, it's far more rewarding and the experience can be had numerous times with the start of a new class. And then, like all things, it dies a quick death and players move on to the next iteration of addiction based gaming.

I don't really know, since they'd have to be insane to end it. It's basically a cash machine, and I doubt Activision would even allow it to end.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Silellak said:
WoW did nothing original, it just made the genre accessable to the unwashed masses by making it as easy as possible.

It also has quite nice graphics that have held up pretty well over the years, unlike most MMO's.

Data4

Arcane
Talby said:
Silellak said:

It also has quite nice graphics that have held up pretty well over the years, unlike most MMO's.

In before "ZOMGWTF!!?! WoW's graphics are cartoony!"

In every other MMO I've played, that ALWAYS comes up. Dumbasses can't distinguish stylistic design from whatever flavor of the moment they're playing. WoW is MEANT to be cartoony, but a good look at the details shows some really great artwork.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Data4 said:
Talby said:
Silellak said:

In before "ZOMGWTF!!?! WoW's graphics are cartoony!"

In every other MMO I've played, that ALWAYS comes up. Dumbasses can't distinguish stylistic design from whatever flavor of the moment they're playing. WoW is MEANT to be cartoony, but a good look at the details shows some really great artwork.
This.

And looking at the then-and now, The quality has improved dramatically since the release day.

Rosh

Erudite
Yeah, art has never been a complaint of mine about WoW.

DarkSign

Erudite
WoW should end with a replay of that contagious plague that happened back in the day.

MMOs in general should work towards the climax of a story, based off of group character achievements that are interactions with the NPC factions.

Of course a real story-driven MMO is like a veggie burger from Burger King. They slap so much superflous shit on it that it becomes useless for the intended purpose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom