Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THE DEBATE OF THE MILLENIA CONTINUES

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
http://www.videogamer.com/news/diablo_3 ... hinks.html

Roper, ex-vice president of Blizzard North, the now defunct Blizzard satellite studio that was responsible for the Diablo games, told VideoGamer.com in an interview to be published later this week, that while he "didn't look at it (the released Diablo III gameplay footage) and go, oh my God that's horrible", "as a player it just didn't really ring with Diablo".

When asked if he was disappointed or pleased with Diablo's new art style, Roper, who is now design director and executive producer of Atari-owned Cryptic Studios, and in charge of Champions Online, a superhero MMO due out on PC this spring, said: "You know, I liked the darker grittier. I liked the differences in art style, to be honest. So, I think I would personally from a player standpoint prefer that.

"I think that one of the things that we always tried to get across was that Diablo was Gothic fantasy and I think there was just a need that was put in there from the visuals that I didn't necessarily get. I got it from the architecture and to a degree from the character design but not the feeling of the world. I can't say that I dislike it. I didn't look at it and go, oh my God that's horrible. But I looked at it and went, it's not really... to me as a player it just didn't really ring with Diablo."

In before "he shouldn't have a say in the matter because he made a crappy game" - Oh wait, too late.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
view_320200_1_1233422194.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's because of that faggot Samwise Didier. He's a one trick pony as an artist. Hurr durr big shoulders for everything.

Raapys

Arcane
Yah, Diablo 1 had excellent atmosphere, Diablo 2 had average'ish, Diablo 3's looks like it's going to be crap. Warcraft 3 really ruined Blizzard's art style, yet they seem to be using it for every project now.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I actually have faith in Diablo3 more than in any other so called "RPG" that is known to come out soon. Boyarsky is a talented designer and if he will manage to sucessfully do everything he promised D3 with the exception of childish "art" can be a good hack'n'slash. Also consider that a guy who is responsible for how combat looked in DoW1 is working on Diablo 3's combat - its visuals that weren't much noticeable (due to much happening on screen) but nonetheless awesome in DoW can find a good place in D3 where you will actually notice them.
D3 also doesn't look dumbed down like most of the games today (with the possible exception of that "respec" bs)
But the most important part (and tbh the only playable in most Blizzard games) is multiplayer - if it will be as fun as it is in D2 - I'm totally sold.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I really don't know if it's fair to call it 'crap' based on the early areas of the game, which will supposedly be plunged into darkness and ruin after some events take place. I personally feel that a little diversity in the way the game looks can really be an important contrast to the darkness and ruin, if only to emphasize it. If it's all drab it'll look like Hellgate: London and lose its grit from being very mundane.

elenai

Novice
skyway said:
I actually have faith in Diablo3 more than in any other so called "RPG" that is known to come out soon. Boyarsky is a talented designer and if he will manage to sucessfully do everything he promised D3 with the exception of childish "art" can be a good hack'n'slash. Also consider that a guy who is responsible for how combat looked in DoW1 is working on Diablo 3's combat - its visuals that weren't much noticeable (due to much happening on screen) but nonetheless awesome in DoW can find a good place in D3 where you will actually notice them.
D3 also doesn't look dumbed down like most of the games today (with the possible exception of that "respec" bs)
But the most important part (and tbh the only playable in most Blizzard games) is multiplayer - if it will be as fun as it is in D2 - I'm totally sold.
AoD will be better Rpg. But D3 will be best rpG(as there is nothing else).
As they avoided third person doom.
Only what concerns me is that all mechanics are about phat l00t.

Raapys

Arcane
What concerns me is the dumbing-down of the stats system. It RUINS PROGAMING

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'll be honest, I don't like the art direction D3 is taking- but it's a Blizzard game. Chances are it will look great, play great, and be awesome for what it is.

And run on my 512 MB RAM with 64 MB graphics card computer...

elenai

Novice
Raapys said:
What concerns me is the dumbing-down of the stats system. It RUINS PROGAMING
No stat system is still there. Just wear +100 str sword +75 dex shield and all vit shit.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, but since they figured manually allocating stats was too taxing for the players, differing builds in that regard is out of the picture. They're making it just like WoW.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And respec shit.
This worries me much. And a multiplayer part which can be ruined because of this.
Singleplayer Diablo will be boring as most of Blizzard's SP parts of games - so I couldn't care less about it.

Raapys said:
Yeah, but since they figured manually allocating stats was too taxing for the players, differing builds in that regard is out of the picture. They're making it just like WoW.

Actually Diablo games always were like MMO - they are based entirely on mindless grinding. However unlike MMORPGs where you have to gather a party of 8 to kick a single mob for 3 minutes until it dies and then move to another one (which is extremely retarded and boring) - Diablo had you kicking the whole packs and even hordes of mobs and you had a reason to move forward - which is fun.
As for fat loot - I truly don't remember that loot ever bothered me or anyone in D2 - you were getting cool new items only as you go and when devs were letting you to - and you still were raeping.
Stats were broken too. On hardcore servers you always pump up Vitality. And most of the time - only Vitality. Or actually on any server. I was playing a druid last time and the only trouble I had during the whole game is with Diablo in the end.
It was always broken - and I think they can't make it any worse - at least I hope hardcore servers are in.

Eldritch

Scholar
Where is the resident progaming\e-sports faggot metallix anyway? Is he fasting to death at some orthodox monastery deep in the frozen wastes of northern Kazakhstan, burdened with the eternal sorrow that his one and only deity blizzard finally did it and ruin progaming?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom