Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Troika's post-apocalyptic screenshots at NMA!

Stark

Liturgist
just checked Chris Glenn's website, mentioned in another thread pointed out by Whipporowill. putting 1 and 1 together i think it really is PA setting, despite the out-of-place halbert.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Stark said:
now that Bethesda is making FO3 (plus The Fall, another PA rpg) I do not think making another PA game makes good business sense. Troika may have difficulty finding funding that way.
Troika doesnt have to try very hard to step over both of them ..., the fall is just ... meh and the bets are against whatever horror Bethesda is scheeming

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Stark said:
just checked Chris Glenn's website, mentioned in another thread pointed out by Whipporowill. putting 1 and 1 together i think it really is PA setting, despite the out-of-place halbert.

You think? the ruined buildings and burnt out car kinda gave it away for me :twisted:

But seriously, it looks like a solid engine that wouldnt hamper an rpg game. Since they havent got the backing to develop it futher as an unknown brand, i wonder what they would think of a sort of post apoc Arcanum, it would be possible to do considering the ending(s), just a thought anyway. Personaly i dont care if its Fallout(TM) Arcanum(TM) or any other franchise, i just wanna see troika do a story driven isometric turn based rpg. Shame to think though such a game is prolly that much futher away given time that may have been lost working on a potential fallout 3.

Seven

Erudite
The thing of it is I still play fallout and arcanum to this day; they're better than most things out there, so I'm just hoping that they get to keep on making games; this is to say vampires had better do well sales-wise.

Stark

Liturgist
Nightjed
Troika doesnt have to try very hard to step over both of them ..., the fall is just ... meh and the bets are against whatever horror Bethesda is scheeming

I'm sure Troika can beat them easily. problem is convincing publishers to give them the $$$ to do it. "What? ANOTHER post-apoc??? Bethesda already doing one. and there's The Fall" would probably be flashing in their head when they're approached.

FrankHorrigan, yeah it does look PA, but the halbert gave me pause. but regardless of setting, if it's a well-done rpg I'll buy it.

btw judging from the 2 different camera angles from the 2 screen shots i think it's probably a 3d rpg. (which is a plus for me. i like to rotate the camera around ala Silent Storm style)

I don't quite follow you. "But someone else is already doing one" hasn't ever seemed to stop anyone before, if anything there's a herd mentality where you get too much of the same thing as everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
FrankHorrigan, yeah it does look PA, but the halbert gave me pause. but regardless of setting, if it's a well-done rpg I'll buy it.

Yup agree 100% and nice to see someone who doesnt take offence at a bit of rib poking

Stark

Liturgist
Walks with the Snails said:
I don't quite follow you. "But someone else is already doing one" hasn't ever seemed to stop anyone before, if anything there's a herd mentality where you get too much of the same thing as everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

you may be right if, let's say, this is another "action rpg" setting in Forgotten Realms with females wearing next to nothing. but post-apoc hard core rpg that actually requires a brain to play?

Shevek

Arcane
Spazmo said:
About the halberd thing: since this is just a tech demo, it's likely that it's simply a modified ToEE engine, which, of course, had halberds in it. Given that the way he holds the weapon is similar to how they are held by characters in ToEE, it's probably just a placeholder deal. And remember, Fallout had spears. Granted, those were mostly just sharpened flints tied to sticks and a halberd is much trickier to manufacture, but hey.

The character model doesnt look like its from ToEE (niether does the weapon model). As to halberds in FO, that doesnt make sense. Easy to make pointy sticks is one thing but unless that guy raided a museum, I doubt there would be masses of halberd users in the wasteland.

The architecture doesnt look like its from the concept art, though. The buildings and, especially, the car look pretty Fallouty.

Still, Im betting this is a different PA setting. The character actually looks like a halberd using guy in one of the concept art sketches released a while back (hood and all).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"but post-apoc hard core rpg that actually requires a brain to play?"

Oh please. It doesn't take that much brains to play FO type games. Geez.. If you and I can do it; *anyone* can do it. :D

Shevek said:
The character model doesnt look like its from ToEE (niether does the weapon model). As to halberds in FO, that doesnt make sense. Easy to make pointy sticks is one thing but unless that guy raided a museum, I doubt there would be masses of halberd users in the wasteland.

Why not? Stick + rope/tendons + half of a sharpened hubcap = halberd. :lol:

EvoG

Erudite
I think these look flip'in wonderful. Anyone know why these were released or where they came from (besides NMA you dolts :) )?

Cheers

GreenNight

Liturgist
The pics are nice, but I wouldn't go wild on two pics captured from an improved TOEE engine showing one street crossing. You can see the car on the left of the first screenshot.

So yes, this looks nice. But that's all. Nothing about gameplay, story or anything else play related. At it is shown it coul even be (god forbid) a real-time game!

All that this means is that they have a functional engine (surprise!) and at least an artist capable of making post-apocalise environments and dressing (except the halberd that I also think that is a rip-off from TOEE).

And give Bethesda a breath. At best they could manage to get out a decent game that doesn't blow the setting to little pieces (perhaps even better, but it's heresy to say so here). At worst they could deliver Fallout the final strike that lets that beast rest in peace, and no more whoring to that setting will happen.

Seven

Erudite
The pics are nice, but I wouldn't go wild on two pics captured from an improved TOEE engine

I'm willing to admit that it MIGHT be a modifed TOEE engine, but how do you know for a fact that it is? I'm no programmer, so I wouldn't know about these things that's why I ask.

So yes, this looks nice. But that's all. Nothing about gameplay, story or anything else play related.

It's Troika, we know that they can do story (arcanum), gameplay might be a little iffy though.

And give Bethesda a breath. At best they could manage to get out a decent game that doesn't blow the setting to little pieces (perhaps even better, but it's heresy to say so here). At worst they could deliver Fallout the final strike that lets that beast rest in peace, and no more whoring to that setting will happen.

Give me a give reason why I or anyone should give them the benefit of the doubt given their previous comments and their previous games? But lets not turn this into a Bethesda thread, OK?

EDIT: I've re-read the thread, and I haven't seen any comments that were really derogatory about Bethesda (except Chris's comment which came after yours), so what was the point with that last bit? Trolling?

DOUBLE EDIT: The boyonette on this screen http://www.nma-fallout.com/images/games/troika/post_05_b.jpg that everyone thinks is a halbred is actually an exagerated blade from this concept http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=36.

Stark

Liturgist
seven wrote:
I'm willing to admit that it MIGHT be a modifed TOEE engine, but how do you know for a fact that it is? I'm no programmer, so I wouldn't know about these things that's why I ask.

not sure about you guys but the 2 screens seem to be of different camera angles, with the second zoomed in (character is bigger). so i assume it's a fully 3d rotatable camera.

don't think ToEE engine can do that (which is essentially an iso game with 2D background), not without heavy modification anyway.

in anycase it could be just some random pics set up by guys at NMA to fool us all.

ps: I'm not GreenNight btw, but just tot of chipping in on the above.

Ausir

Arcane
It's not a halberd, judging from Chris Glenn's art, I suppose it's a kind of musket with a cleaving bayonet.

Anonymous

Yeah, I was gonna say that. It looks like a rifle thingy with a large bayonet-like blade on it.

Maybe he has no ammo so now he's just slashing people with it?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Lets just hope that this game is on hold due to the work on Bloodlines. Troika never had huge teams and cash reserves. It does kinda make sense that they put everyone on QA for their next game (ie income/cash cow) before continuing with a newer project.

That art looks sweet though!If buying bloodlines partially helps getting this thingie on the road, I'll defenitely get it. (like I wasn't planning to do so anyway ;)
Just my 2 cents,

Trash

Briosafreak

Augur
Maybe Evog could explain you guys that the pics come from a full 3D engine, not an evolution from the ToEE engine, but a "revolution" :)

Those aren`t Fallout pics, definitely another setting, but with some new art it could be easilly made into a Fallout game.

And they are sweet :(

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
... and we wants them, yes we does. Come to precious!

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
DarkUnderlord, you sound like a creepy pedophile right now (I know it's Gollum, but so does he).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom