Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGCodex consumes the WORLD

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Spazmo said:
You're onto something there, VD. Forget ULTRA PLATINUM FRIEND OF CODEX accounts, let's just send everyone who donates a unique picture of Rex nekkid.

My mouse button was hovering on the PayPal button, but then i read this.

taks

Liturgist
Walks with the Snails said:
Hmm, just read this. So do we just need to shut up until Sunday? They said you went over the quota of 52 GB by about 6 GB,

no, over by 60GB... or in addition to the 52GB allotted. not just the bethesda influx, though that certainly didn't help.

taks

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Walks with the Snails said:
taks said:
no, over by 60GB... or in addition to the 52GB allotted. not just the bethesda influx, though that certainly didn't help.

taks

Count the digits.

No, taks is right.

Mystary ISP said:
Your site rpgcodex.com has exceeded its bandwidth quota in the period beginning on 2004-07-01. Your quota is set to 52428800000 bytes, and your site has consumed 6191856106 bytes beyond that quota.

taks

Liturgist
the digits do say 6GB, though SP said 60GB. so, in response, i had bad intelligence reports from my man in the field! :)

taks

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I haven't read all 4 pages... I stopped midway through page 2. Okay, so maybe it was midway through page 1. Some things come to mind:
  1. I presume the forums have Gzip turned on? If not, turn it on.
  2. Do Calis' front-page scripts use Gzip? If they don't, make them so they do (whack a bit of code in the header and footer to do it, though the fact they use the forum systems code may mean they already have it in).
  3. Re-code most of the site in XHTML and use an external stylesheet for everything (IE: no <TABLE> content in the actual HTML - use CSS positioning). That too, can halve your files on site.
Seriously, Gzip and CSS could reduce the amount of crap you're sending down the pipeline by almost 80%. Bullshit about people not quoting so much is retardism at its best.

Example of Gzip in usage.
Example of proper XHTML / CSS in usage.

I'll let you google for the rest. If the Codex grows any bigger over time, this is just going to become more of an issue.

Of course if Gzip is already turned on and you can't do the CSS thing, then wow, you guys are fucked. :D

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Since you can pretty much drag and drop the php file in a text editor and see what it is inside i believe that Gzip is not enabled.

RGE

Liturgist
taks said:
the digits do say 6GB, though SP said 60GB. so, in response, i had bad intelligence reports from my man in the field! :)

taks

Unless I am mistaken, SP said the site goes through 60 GB per month, not that it was 60 GB above the qouta. If the qouta is 52 GB and it's gone 6 GB above it and there's still some of the month left, that's above 60 GB, right? :?

Psilon

Erudite
You know your browser automatically decompresses it, right, Chris? You have to look at the actual HTTP exchange to see what content encodings are available.

taks

Liturgist
c'mon guys, enough salt in the wound... i'm taking a dive and you're fanning the flames!
taks

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Based on this page before I added this post, 33.75 Kb could be saved by removing avatars and another 8Kb by removing the excess inline CSS code (an external stylesheet is already linked to).

This would leave 55Kb of HTML, plus the other images (buttons etc.).

The comments about avatars being cached is only true up to a point. Most browsers have a limit on the size of the cache, and once that is reached existing files are overwritten. Also, many people set their browser to empty the cache on exit.

What this boils down to is that unless this is the only site you visit each day, and your browser cache does not get emptied, each time an avatar is displayed for the first time during your visit it is loaded from the server rather than your own machine.

GZIP can be effective for reducing the transfer used to display text and HTML, but images are usually already compressed.

Calis

Pensionado
DarkUnderlord said:
I haven't read all 4 pages... I stopped midway through page 2. Okay, so maybe it was midway through page 1. Some things come to mind:
  1. I presume the forums have Gzip turned on? If not, turn it on.
  2. Do Calis' front-page scripts use Gzip? If they don't, make them so they do (whack a bit of code in the header and footer to do it, though the fact they use the forum systems code may mean they already have it in).
  3. Re-code most of the site in XHTML and use an external stylesheet for everything (IE: no <TABLE> content in the actual HTML - use CSS positioning). That too, can halve your files on site.
Seriously, Gzip and CSS could reduce the amount of crap you're sending down the pipeline by almost 80%. Bullshit about people not quoting so much is retardism at its best.

Example of Gzip in usage.
Example of proper XHTML / CSS in usage.

I'll let you google for the rest. If the Codex grows any bigger over time, this is just going to become more of an issue.

Of course if Gzip is already turned on and you can't do the CSS thing, then wow, you guys are fucked. :D
Not compiled in properly, so it doesn't really work properly. Already tried.

As for cutting down graphics and style sheets, all separate files get cached anyway. Main issue would be dynamically-generated text, and GZIP is the best way to make a huge dent in that.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It seems that although an external stylesheet is linked to, it doesn't actually exist, so creating one then cutting and pasting the existing inline code into it would save about 8Kb per page view (once at least one page has been viewed and the stylesheet cached).

It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes for someone with FTP access.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom