Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo Clones survey at Hellforge

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Our old pal Sol Invictus wrote a piece called <a href="http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hellforge/Top-5-Best-Diablo-Clones/">Top 5 Best Diablo Clones</a>. The winner is Sacred, even though Sol actually bashes it quite a lot. So let me just quote a bit on my favourite game of the five, Divine Divinity:<blockquote>Here's an RPG that borrows as much from Diablo as it does from Origin's RPG classic, Ultima VII. Despite the game's role-playing features and interactive environments, much of the game consists of hacking and slashing random monsters, Diablo style.

The one thing that really sets Divine Divinity from every other game on this list is its strong storyline and fleshed out setting. It's rare enough to find a game that puts so much emphasis on its story, much less an action RPG which does so.

Divine Divinity foregoes the typical high fantasy setting for a dark age fantasy setting, in a world ravaged by plagues and set in the aftermath of the king's death. (...)

Another thing that really makes Divine Divinity a very neat game is that it really rewards you for exploration. You can actually move stuff like furniture around. How cool is that? There are plenty of hidden caches lying around. On top of that, doing certain quests and discovering things can also lead to the discovery of new skills and other hidden features.
</blockquote>I'm still wondering how Larian managed to stay afloat for so many years after producing Beyond Divinity. Their first game is a must-play. The music never gets old and some quests and areas are really memorable.

The article features true WEB 2.8 design, containing videos with gameplay from each title. I didn't know Divine Divinity had such a nice trailer.

Read the whole thing <a href="http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hellforge/Top-5-Best-Diablo-Clones/">here</a>. I'm not sure why Mythos - a game you can't play because it never got past the beta phase due to going down with Flagship - has been included, but it's a nice nostalgic read regardless.

Thanks, <b>Sol</b>!

Nightjed

Liturgist
im tired of hearing about mythos, the company is dead, the game is most likely dead too, it didnt even look that good and they are still hyping it, give it a rest allready, there are plenty of shitty games coming out the next 3 months to rant about for years to come

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Mythos is pretty much dead, but the people responsible for it (and not Hellgate) have formed up a new studio called Runic Games. They're going to make a new Diablo-like, but there's nothing about it yet.

Thanks for posting the article, by the way.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Why stick with Diablo-likes? Why not branch out a bit? Seems so unimaginative, especially if they failed before with Hellgate which was kind of an imaginative idea.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I'm guessing they think that they'll be a big market for Diablo clones again after Diablo 3 comes out. It seems like no one really cared about the Diablo 1/2 clones in recent years so I'd be a bit scared going in that direction myself.

Nice write up Rex although the Mythos inclusion is a little odd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom