Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top 5 Best Diablo Clones

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Evening gents,

I wrote up a little piece. Goes something like:

"As everyone awaits more Diablo III goodness to trickle down Blizzard's milky teat, there are more than a few games out there to provide us our Diablo "fix". A legion of Diablo "clones" that are simply waiting to be played. While not clones in the strictest sense of the definition, these action RPGs most certainly borrow the core concepts that made the Diablo series a success. They're good games, and if you're a fan of Diablo, you'll definitely want to play them."

http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hel ... blo-Clones

Feel free to comment, praise, bash, KingComrade, etc. the article.

How's #fallout doing Sol?

Also I've heard that Dungeon Siege II is absolutely terrible. Never played it myself, but it's what I hear. I have played the demo for Titan Quest though.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
No Depths of Peril? Divine Divinity below Dungeon Siege 2, Titan Quest and Sacred?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Agree with Divine Divinity and Sacred, I enjoyed those games. Never got around to playing Titan Quest though I should since I own a copy and I've heard from many it's a good action romp. I've heard some pretty bad things about the Dungeon Siege games so I've never bothered with them. Never even heard of Mythos before.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'd say DS 1 is absolutely terrible. DS2's actually pretty damn good.

I tried Depths of Peril, but I kind of hated it.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Dungeon Siege II is awful for the first act. Then it gets better, but then bland again. The character system devolves into a boring mess and combat, while never booted down to DS1 levels, does get old after a while.

Sacred is the best Diablo clone. Divine Divinity is too sophisticated to be merely deemed a Diablo clone. It's much more like Ultima.

bgillisp

Scholar
DS2 bored me after the 1st act finished. When my save game got corrupted in the middle of act 2 I deinstalled it and have never looked back. Never played DS1

I couldn't get into Sacred though. Maybe I'll try it some other time

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I had a lot of fun in DSII multiplayer, over LAN at least. Their version of battle.net was a laggy mess.

Sacred's definitely the best Diablo clone. With the Gold patch and Underworld, it's pretty solid.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I quite enjoyed Titan Quest and Immortal Throne actually. I mean, it is more of the same you get with Diablo, of course, but I found it good for a single playthrough to visit all the locales. Especially liked the journey through Hades. Haven't got around to actually buying Sacred yet but it's somewhere on my list.

Titan Quest isn`t bad but it lacks depth. I really liked the setting at the beginning but after seeing pillar after pillar after pillar it got old real fast. At least they got the camera right and the grass moves when you walk over it(gladiator-immershion). I´d prefer some custom made animations instead of ragdoll physics when i kill monster after monster. It felt like yet another ricebag falling down in China and i don`t care.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
SimpleComplexity said:
Titan Quest isn`t bad but it lacks depth. I really liked the setting at the beginning but after seeing pillar after pillar after pillar it got old real fast. At least they got the camera right and the grass moves when you walk over it(gladiator-immershion). I´d prefer some custom made animations instead of ragdoll physics when i kill monster after monster. It felt like yet another ricebag falling down in China and i don`t care.

Yeah, that was a beef I had with it. With Sacred, you've got custom death animations, ragdoll effects (monsters can go flying), and even dismemberment. So there's a lot of variety.

I'd be happy if Sacred 2 or some other game without the resources of Blizzard decide to use Natural Motion's Euphoria engine for character death animations. GTA IV used it, and it looked pretty good. You've basically got ragdolls, dismemberment and natural movement instead of regular custom animations.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I guess DD would score lower on the list as it isn't strictly a Diablo clone, yet DoP is still the next best thing to Diablo with all the random quests and events

PennyAnte

Liturgist
They were right on about Titan Quest's pros and cons - I 've been playing that a lot lately.

I got bored quickly with Sacred though, and annoyed with the combo system. (I wanted to do things like stack all my buff spells into one combo for convenience's sake, but the cooldown went through the roof ... overall various nitpicks like that made it just not quite work for me).

I'll probably check out Sacred 2 if the reviews are good.

Circuitbreaker

Liturgist
I miss "Darkstone" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkstone) on the list. It's likely most people never heard of it, but basically it was a very good Diablo-clone released sometime after Diablo1, that had full 3D with pan/zoom, nice atmosphere, some non-cliche quests and ofcourse some typical quirks as it was developed by some french guys.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I've never met a person who had played Darkstone and didn't like it, but I really can't understand why that is. Apart from a few interesting design choices, it played out pretty much like a boring day at the office, only by office I mean killing skeletons for hours on end with little to show for it.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
The list in the article is okay except for Mythos which is a joke.

The article is *very flawed* though, because he doesn't get his facts straight:

A diablo clone features:

- solo character only (that excludes DS2 from the list, as it does with Darkstone)
- action heavy - non pausable combat (goodbye to DS2, again)
- no long winding dialogs with choice & consequence (say good night, Divine Divnity)
- an offline mode (thank you for playing, Mythos)

I suggest:

1. Sacred
2. Titan Quest
3. Blade & Sword
4. Legend - Hand of God
5. Chosen - The Well of Souls

The SUCKIEST-DIABLO-CLONES list is more interesting IMHO

1. Nox
2. Fate
3. Avencast
4. Broken Land
5. Corum II: Dark Lord

PennyAnte

Liturgist
What brings D2 down in the end IMO is that no one character can smoothly solo all areas in a playthrough because of the situation with monster immunities at Hell difficulty (well maybe a Frenzy barb with socketed phase blades with elemental damage on a switch), so you are stuck making characters that only can run a few maps in any given series of maps.

Titan Quest, OTOH, has skills that reduce monster resistances so your builds can stay viable, even though highly resistant monsters still pose more of a challenge.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Sir_Brennus said:
I suggest:

1. Sacred
2. Titan Quest
3. Blade & Sword
4. Legend - Hand of God
5. Chosen - The Well of Souls
So you liked "Chosen"? I liked the premise and the setting but the abundance of similar enemies finally proved too boring for me, I think around some castle with a demon inside. I suppose I wasn't even quarter-way through. How far did you get? Was it better later on?

I enjoyed Space Hack by the same guys, though. Nice atmosphere. Boring as hell after a few hours, but likable in small doses.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
Titan Quest is a very fine game. I've spent far too much time playing it, but I keep coming back, trying new character builds. And I absolutely love the design and the engine. It would have been my first choice of graphics engine for Fallout 3...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom