Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with emphasis on mechanics?

Incendax

Augur
Yeah, it sounds like you are looking for Bloodborne, Arkash, Tower of Time, and maybe Warcraft 1-3. That last one is RTS, but has light RPG elements.

DraQ

Arcane
Oh boy, yeah, cooldowns. I miss the good old days of cooldowns.
Haven't played some good quick time events in a long time either. Talk about quick reaction, QTEs is where it's at.

Underrail has cooldowns :M
Cooldwon in turn-based game can work, it's not the best mechanic in the world but it can be used to good effects. The OP doesn't want turn based though, he wants action games with rpg elements.
The only RT example I know of that isn't puke-worthy would be Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga.
It's not necessarily what I would call good mechanics (due to cooldowns, in part), but it's fun enough and rewards good reflexes.

Last edited:

Major Seven

Educated
Patron
Oh boy, yeah, cooldowns. I miss the good old days of cooldowns.
Haven't played some good quick time events in a long time either. Talk about quick reaction, QTEs is where it's at.

Underrail has cooldowns :M
Cooldwon in turn-based game can work, it's not the best mechanic in the world but it can be used to good effects. The OP doesn't want turn based though, he wants action games with rpg elements.
The only example I know of that isn't puke-worthy would be Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga.
It's not necessarily what I would call good mechanics (due to cooldowns, in part), but it's fun enough and rewards good reflexes.

I'm no fan of cooldown machanics in rpgs, but Tales of Maj'Eyal does this very well (of course it's turn based, like all real rpgs should be!).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom