Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean every fight I pray to RNG Jesus to not get demolished by some random crit
Nuffle's a right bastard to pray to. I hear he rolls dice to decide if he will answer your prayers or not.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, low level D&D can be really frustrating, that's true.. Hell even the Kobold mines in BG were annoying back in the day, if you didn't know where you were going.
I hope the devs won't cave in and make the game easier because of the noise

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The positioning-flanking was left out during development afaik; one of loading screen tooltips says - you attack with 2 characters = flanking.
Why the fuck would they leave that out? It's one of the most important aspects of combat. Are these developers fucking retarded?
Positioning, AoOs and cleave only really work in a turn-based implementation of D&D3.5. RTwP shit always has to make compromises. Why would this game be different?
PoE/Deadfire are able to interpret flank = behind enemy... not that I'm defending those games or anything
Technically speaking, finding out if two attackers are on opposite sides of a target is not hard at all. Basic vector math, really.
Still, just counting attackers is even easier and not having to run circles around a character makes RTwP a bit easier to deal with so it might have been an "ease of use" decision, even if a somewhat misguided one.

The bug report forum is growing like a diet coke and mentos experiment...

How is this considered at all difficult? Are people literally retarded?

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Hard gives +6 to all enemy rolls (to hit, AC, saving throws, spell DC) and a small HP boost.
Challenging gives +2 to all enemy rolls and a small HP boost.
Normal gives no modifier to enemy rolls or HP, and 0.8x enemy damage.

If you want everything to be even you have to use custom sliders.

There's 2 separate sliders that effect enemy rolls. One changes final rolls in increments of 4. The other changes base stats (str, dex, etc) in increments of 4, for an outcome of +/-2 to rolls and a small HP change. Hard bumps both sliders up by one, while challenging bumps up only the base stats one.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Well, low level D&D can be really frustrating, that's true.. Hell even the Kobold mines in BG were annoying back in the day, if you didn't know where you were going.
Game difficulty setting allows you to set up many aspects of difficulty according to your liking (even harder than hardest default setting "Unfair" afaik)
Even if they change default settings for difficulty presets, you can always ramp it up with custom difficulty settings.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Game difficulty setting allows you to set up many aspects of difficulty according to your liking (even harder than hardest default setting "Unfair" afaik)
Even if they change default settings for difficulty presets, you can always ramp it up with custom difficulty settings.
That's pretty awesome. I do hope the game is challenging enough if I set every setting as "fair" and "equal" as possible though. I like to do that at least in first runs

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only problem I see with the combat on harder difficulties is that the enemies crit way too often, I have enemies doing bazzilions of damage to my heavily fortified fighter and it's just ridiculous when you see some peep squek little shit hitting for 80% of your health bar. I mean every fight I pray to RNG Jesus to not get demolished by some random crit:argh:

Yeah, crit is my main enemy. I have characters wailing at each other for minutes it seems, fairly balanced fight, then comes the crit - boom dead.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
The only problem I see with the combat on harder difficulties is that the enemies crit way too often, I have enemies doing bazzilions of damage to my heavily fortified fighter and it's just ridiculous when you see some peep squek little shit hitting for 80% of your health bar. I mean every fight I pray to RNG Jesus to not get demolished by some random crit:argh:

Yeah, crit is my main enemy. I have characters wailing at each other for minutes it seems, fairly balanced fight, then comes the crit - boom dead.
Sounds exactly like BG to be honest. Endless reloads because of random enemy crits :P

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Sounds exactly like BG to be honest. Endless reloads because of random enemy crits :P

Yes :) Considering lowering the crit damage though. Playing on challenging otherwise, but with non-buffed enemies. Feels pretty Sawyerish at the moment.

Except that the barbarian eats it every fight, not sure what to do with her.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

Yes :) Considering lowering the crit damage though. Playing on challenging otherwise, but with non-buffed enemies. Feels pretty Sawyerish at the moment.

What else does "challenging" change apart from buffing the enemies?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Any other lack of context is lacking because there essentially is no relevant context beyond that, which is why it's awful. There is absolutely no reason for her to tell you, let alone in such a way, then and there. The "reason" given is that there are traps somewhere that does not affect her, but this is in no way relevant, since they are easily discovered by one mandatory party member, and then as easily removed by another mandatory party member.

What the fuck are you talking about? She’s standing there unharmed in a room full of corpses. You ask her how the hell she survived, and that’s when she tells you she’s undead, because it’s the answer to your question.

This may be a reading comprehension issue.
There's about a million better ways to handle that other than blurting out "I'm undead. Let's go." in the way it's done.

It's awful, awful writing.

Cael

Arcane

What else does "challenging" change apart from buffing the enemies?
Debuffing you.

Cael

Arcane
Any other lack of context is lacking because there essentially is no relevant context beyond that, which is why it's awful. There is absolutely no reason for her to tell you, let alone in such a way, then and there. The "reason" given is that there are traps somewhere that does not affect her, but this is in no way relevant, since they are easily discovered by one mandatory party member, and then as easily removed by another mandatory party member.

What the fuck are you talking about? She’s standing there unharmed in a room full of corpses. You ask her how the hell she survived, and that’s when she tells you she’s undead, because it’s the answer to your question.

There's about a million better ways to handle that other than blurting out "I'm undead. Let's go." in the way it's done.

Yes, but is it worse than: "Hi! I'm a tranny!"

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Jimmious

Some rules are turned off on normal, like party speed depending on weight. Damage to party is 0.8 instead of 1.0. Not much difference to be honest, if you normalize the enemy stats.

Salvo

Arcane

Ways like? Do explain.

PrettyDeadman

Like what?

Cael

Arcane

Ways like? Do explain.
"I am good at my job." Which then allows you to press her further, change the topic or for her to do so, or a segue to another, more pressing concern (e.g., a bunch of enemies burst through another door). That is just off the top of my head.

The question is: After "I'm undead. Let's go!" is there an option to say, "Die, undead bitch!!!"?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hard gives +6 to all enemy rolls (to hit, AC, saving throws, spell DC) and a small HP boost.
Challenging gives +2 to all enemy rolls and a small HP boost.
Normal gives no modifier to enemy rolls or HP, and 0.8x enemy damage.

If you want everything to be even you have to use custom sliders.

There's 2 separate sliders that effect enemy rolls. One changes final rolls in increments of 4. The other changes base stats (str, dex, etc) in increments of 4, for an outcome of +/-2 to rolls and a small HP change. Hard bumps both sliders up by one, while challenging bumps up only the base stats one.
Ok, than that sounds like I put the game on Hard at first and then changed through Custom settings to work like Challenging difficulty except I turned off that being encumbered lowers your move speed. Nobody has time to watch my characters move slowly between combats, in PnP moving between places takes as long as Saying "you moved to your destination" even if you are slowed down by stuff.

Mortmal

Arcane
So is normal difficulty too easy? I am torn between starting on normal or on challenging. I kinda want an authentic pnp expirience, but i also don't want to miss out on some good "MCA in Arcanum" moments...
thinking.png
It's made by russians, you know those guys wrestle bears barefisted, and swim naked in frozen lakes. Even the squirrels can gore you there. So yes normal diffculty is not too easy , if you stray slightly away from the path everything wrecks your party.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Of course the hot barbarian slut and the undead elf girl want to join my Chad Caravan while the insufferable bard kid and dyke knight refuse to because they have morals and shit.

I GOT ALL THE BITCHES.

Also got some depressed dwarf.

STILL GOT BITCHES THOUGH.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Two things:

Is there a sort button? Maybe I'm blind but I can't find it.

And.

Is there a way to have the inventory scrolled the furthest up when you enter the inventory? So god damn annoying that it doesn't show the first row.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The walking between combat is quite slow, it really needs some fast mode for that shit. Especially when you are exploring the dungeon and have to run through the same tunnel again because you choose the wrong path.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom