Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the fuck are you talking about? She’s standing there unharmed in a room full of corpses. You ask her how the hell she survived, and that’s when she tells you she’s undead, because it’s the answer to your question.

This may be a reading comprehension issue.
Aside from the fact that this is shit for a variety of reasons, where is my response?

Andnjord

Arcane
So... this actually looks like a good murderhobo simulator? Well, fuck me sideways and call me a darling but I thought this just wasn't possible anymore. Looks like I'll have to dive back into D20 class system and remember how to make overpowered munchkins again! Oh those sweet hours spent in SoZ crafting the perfect party...:bounce:

BTW I bought SoZ (NWN2 complete) for like 5 dollars or something awhile ago with the goal of playing SoZ since it is gets fairly high praise for people who like making a party of characters and going on an adventure, but I have not got around to playing it yet..is it still worth it, in this day and age? The IE games age well, I am not sure about the NWN2 engine aging as well. If I enjoyed Icewind Dale more than BG (which I do), is this a game still worth playing today?
Probably. I last played it years ago, but it did certainly have significant flaws. If you like 3.5 Rtwp combat and are willing to overlook some weaknesses in your games for it then it is worth a punt just for the sheer party creation, customization, exploration and combat.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finally someone who said it. Look what good PoE's "serious" tone did!
It's not too unserious, it's too fucking shit.
Literally no one here is advocating for a serious tone. Just because something isn't serious, doesn't mean it's an excuse for shit writing. BG wasn't serious and the writing was still infinitely better than this steaming pile of shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Some thoughts after a couple of hours: Stats for some creatures are way overtuned, on average you have like 25% chance to hit a random ass boar (on challenging difficulty), which is just bullshit, loading screens are annoying in the same way they were in first PoE, world map movement restrictions are just bizarre, why didn't they make it similar to deadfire or M&B is beyond me. Aside from that the game seems to be alright so far, i'll reserve my judgement till I get to the meaty stuff (kingdom management and all that jazz). It's channeling IE experience fairly well though.
If by challenging you mean Hard, than that is normal. Default hard difficulty gives a blanket +4 to enemy to all their relevant stats. That is 20% more of everything. And this is especially noticeable at low levels where parties don't have many buffing options. If you want a real D&D experience reduce enemy difficulty option to Normal (there are two and each gives +2 to enemies). I reduced one of them and now enemies just get +2 buff, left other to counter my ability to savescum.
With +4, D&D balance it way too out of whack, party spellcasters will be most of the time useless except as buffers.

Yosharian

Arcane
When you say 'tracked', do you actually mean tracked, as in using the survival skill, or do you mean you walked down a corridor map?

I mean "tracked" as in I needed to pass at least 2 varied skill rolls to find their camp. General exploration of the world map would probably bring you there, but only after awhile of looking.

wow.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Literally no one here is advocating for a serious tone. Just because something isn't serious, doesn't mean it's an excuse for shit writing. BG wasn't serious and the writing was still infinitely better than this steaming pile of shit.

Don't take them seriously. Shittalking Baldur's Gate is all the rage in nu-codex. Writting was never BG's strong suit yet it still shits on all the garbage that passes for "incline" these days...

So... this actually looks like a good murderhobo simulator? Well, fuck me sideways and call me a darling but I thought this just wasn't possible anymore. Looks like I'll have to dive back into D20 class system and remember how to make overpowered munchkins again! Oh those sweet hours spent in SoZ crafting the perfect party...:bounce:

BTW I bought SoZ (NWN2 complete) for like 5 dollars or something awhile ago with the goal of playing SoZ since it is gets fairly high praise for people who like making a party of characters and going on an adventure, but I have not got around to playing it yet..is it still worth it, in this day and age? The IE games age well, I am not sure about the NWN2 engine aging as well. If I enjoyed Icewind Dale more than BG (which I do), is this a game still worth playing today?
Probably. I last played it years ago, but it did certainly have significant flaws. If you like 3.5 Rtwp combat and are willing to overlook some weaknesses in your games for it then it is worth a punt just for the sheer party creation, customization, exploration and combat.

those things (party creation and management, and adventuring across a map) are the most enjoyable parts of these games for me, so it sounds like I should give it a go..thanks!

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is made on Unity? pass
I feel you man, it would have been much better in Gamebryo.

I don't have the skills or time to learn them at this time in my life. But if somebody did a good adaption I would pay a lot of money to buy it
I haven't stopped updating my data editor, but if I get around to modding it will be after they have finished patching the game. I'm curious how my ideas will work in practice, the question is will I have the free IRL time.

I haven't played it yet, so I can't say if I agree with you, or if this is your nostalgia speaking. I made this thread about writing a while ago, I think it contains some good stuff: Order these games by how bad their writing is

Yosharian

Arcane
I feel like people are overexaggerating the difficulty of the combat. Regardless, when I first joined the forum I said that all we fucking needed was an IE-style game with writing on par with IWD or BG, and people shitted on me for expressing that opinion. We've now got an IE-style game with god-awful writing, and people are singing its praises like it's the second coming of Christ. I'll try the shit out and maybe stick with it if the combat is as good as people are claiming, but the writing looks fucking horrible. All the retards claiming it's endearing because it doesn't take itself too seriously have already been so cucked that they'll make excuses for anything.
I believe the verb you're looking for is shat

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

The biggest issue with NWN2 is the engine. The rule implementation is alright and can be improved with mods and the SoZ campaign is alright as far as murderhobo-ing/turbo capitalism simulation goes, just don't expect an amazing story.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yes, I'm exaggeragting but my point is this: if you have complaints about language in a game, it's probably on you.

Well, no, not really. Even if the word crap has its roots in Middle English, what about "crappy"? Was it also used and with the same meaning? Do you think the developers actually checked the origin of the word "crappy" or they just slipped it in without even thinking? Which do you think is more likely?
I'd say it's on the developers to know the expectations of the players. I get your point that anachronistic language is probably used all the time, but it's about expectations (admittedly often wrong) and some things will stand out. And "crappy" does that. It's not something you're expecting to hear people in a medieval setting say. It sounds like a modern, whiny, word. "Waaah, waaah, my life is so crappy". Also unsuitable to say for someone who is supposedly tough.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Funny that you say that because words like "shit" were already very well in use in the middle ages (although taboo) and the word "crap" has its roots in Middle English ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Complaining about "anachronistic" language is stupid most of the time because the complaint is based on some very skewed view of a) language and b) the way people in certain periods actually talked.

Most RPG speak has nothing to do with any kind historical use of language, see Ultima et al with its use of thys, thees, thines etc. And holy shit, I'm glad about this because it would be decidedly unfun for me as a german-speaker to play any middle-ages-inspired RPG because holy fuck have you ever read any Walter von der Vogelweide or any other Middle High German poet?

Have fun with stuff such as this:

Nideriu minne heizet diu sô swachet,
daz der lîp nâch kranker liebe ringet.
diu minne tuot unlobelîche wê.
hôhiu minne heizet diu daz machet,
daz der muot nâch hôher wirde űf swinget.
diu winket mir nű, daz ich mit ir gê.
mich wundert wes diu mâze beitet:
kumet diu herzeliebe, ich bin iedoch verleitet.
mîn ougen hânt ein wîp ersehen,
swie minneclîche ir rede sî,
mir mac wol schade von ir geschehen

I mean sure go ahead! I'm sure people will LOVE this historically correct usage of language! Or let's go even further back to the Hildebrandslied in Old High German! Even more fun!

Ik gihorta dat seggen,
dat sih urhettun ænon muotin,
Hiltibrant enti Hadubrant untar heriun tuem.
sunufatarungo iro saro rihtun.
garutun se iro gudhamun, gurtun sih iro suert ana,
helidos, ubar hringa, do sie to dero hiltiu ritun.

Yes, I'm exaggeragting but my point is this: if you have complaints about language in a game, it's probably on you. It's your understanding of how language works and not language itself. If you'd analyze any dialogue in modern games, you'd realize that so much of our languages is so randomly cobbled together (even moreso in English) that basically every word in every dialogue could be questioned in regards to its historical usage, its origin in other languages. Many, many words that you'd never suspect would end up on a blacklist.

Because modern language is modern language. Language is not just grammar and words. And to add to that, it's also in a constant flow of development on every level which is quite logical as language has no "correct" way or essence from which it can "deviate". The view that language is entropically destroyed away from some sort of pure form is ludicrous. That's why linguistics is descriptive and not prescriptive.

Good post.

Language-wise, for me, as long as no NPC is saying 'pogchamp' or 'incel' it's all good.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The camera has some...interesting... quirks. My main gripe so far is that you can't zoom out very much.

Lz7ZODB.jpg

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
So is normal difficulty too easy? I am torn between starting on normal or on challenging. I kinda want an authentic pnp expirience, but i also don't want to miss out on some good "MCA in Arcanum" moments...
thinking.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't played it yet, so I can't say if I agree with you, or if this is your nostalgia speaking. I made this thread about writing a while ago, I think it contains some good stuff: Order these games by how bad their writing is
:roll: How about you play a game before trying to comment on the quality of other peoples opinions regarding said game.
How about you jump from a high window yourself before judging other people's decisions. The fall is very fun.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The only problem I see with the combat on harder difficulties is that the enemies crit way too often, I have enemies doing bazzilions of damage to my heavily fortified fighter and it's just ridiculous when you see some peep squek little shit hitting for 80% of your health bar. I mean every fight I pray to RNG Jesus to not get demolished by some random crit:argh:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The only problem I see with the combat on harder difficulties is that the enemies crit way too often, I have enemies doing bazzilions of damage to my heavily fortified fighter and it's just ridiculous when you see some peep squek little shit hitting for 80% of your health bar. I mean every fight I pray to RNG Jesus to not get demolished by some random crit:argh:

Yea, especially when you're facing archers who will demolish your front line in a volley or two. Shouldn't there be helmets available that reduce or disable crits? Not sure how that works in Pathfinder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom