Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with emphasis on mechanics?

What would be the best RPGs (Top 5) that are the best in active mechanics and good in story.

When I mean mechanics I mean gameplay that rewards things like real time active positioning of the character,cooldown management and quick reaction to abilities.

Generally Diablo and Path of exile do stuff similar to that but I just absolutely hate the item system and story (what story).

I tried POE:Deadfire but the gameplay is kinda bad as you dont really have to think too hard and the pause system means you dont' have to think fast.

I kinda feel this niche isn't filled.

Yes this isn't exactly a joke place but honestly there isn't a true fast paced combat rpg.

When I mean mechanics I mean gameplay that rewards things like real time active positioning of the character,cooldown management and quick reaction to abilities.
So when you mean mechanics you mean 'when and how fast do I click the mouse'.

Shadows: Awakening was released recently. I believe it involves clicking a mouse, but has more of a story attached than the typical mouse clicker (Codex thread).

Yea I like MMO similar like playstyle but I can't afford subscription and grinding for loot is so painful. (Looking at you maplestory)

I know people arn't gonna like this but I think the best way to describe my preferences would be like a game with league of legend style mechanics/gameplay in a baldur's gate setting

<Sees thread title, gets excited, prepares to list RPGs with great mechanics>

<Enters thread, sees that by mechanics, OP meant "real time active positioning of the character,cooldown management and quick reaction to abilities">

<Goes back to drinking...>

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My guess, one of you old dinosaurs faggots got bored and created a new account to troll us.

Well, it didn't work !

But it was a nice try ...

Let's prepare a stake anyway ... :fight:

funkadelik

Arcane
If what you're wanting is fast pace action combat, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is a fun little FPS romp with very limited RPG mechanics.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh boy, yeah, cooldowns. I miss the good old days of cooldowns.
Haven't played some good quick time events in a long time either. Talk about quick reaction, QTEs is where it's at.

Haven't played some good quick time events in a long time either. Talk about quick reaction, QTEs is where it's at.

Not sure if trolling or just...
You realize cooldowns are a really good way to put in skill right?
Or do you think XCOM is also stupid because of cooldowns in them.
And there is much much more to quick reaction gameplay then QTE like animation cancelling to perform a combo faster.

I was just looking for RPG's that feature that type of gameplay no need to act salty lmao.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If you're looking for an RPG-ish game with good action-based combat, then try Dragon's Dogma, Demon's/Dark Souls, or Severance: Blade of Darkness.

And change the name of this thread to reflect what you mean.:rpgcodex:

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Not sure if trolling or just...
You realize cooldowns are a really good way to put in skill right?
Or do you think XCOM is also stupid because of cooldowns in them.
And there is much much more to quick reaction gameplay then QTE like animation cancelling to perform a combo faster.

I don't really give a shit about your newfag garbage. None of that crap should be part or RPGs.

no need to act salty lmao.

kill yourself Twitch retard.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Final Fantasy XI. Easily the best party based tactical combat (MP). It's like a dance. Elemental affinity, skill chains, exp chains, positioning, timing, skill.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Because I never ever get to mention it otherwise - Aarklash: Legacy. It seems to be along the lines of what you want.

ss_a85ad189f03c4d0cdc402a87f943f30d8c6d28bb.1920x1080.jpg

Cael

Arcane
If you really want to talk mechanics, then Temple of Elemental Evil is pretty much a direct port of 3.5 on to a hack and slash game.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Underrail has cooldowns :M
Cooldwon in turn-based game can work, it's not the best mechanic in the world but it can be used to good effects. The OP doesn't want turn based though, he wants action games with rpg elements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom