Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I love the combat, but I like feeling rewarded for it also. The problem with this DLC is that your reward for beating an intense battle is another intense battle, then another, and so forth. It's exhausting, because it feels like you're simply checking fights off a list.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I'll say this though - it's challenging as fuck. Expect to see a lot of negative reviews like this

oMKyut2.png

2house2fly

Magister
I'm impressed by the reviewer who's complaining that this DLC only takes an hour or two to beat, with 0.0 hours played. Fans of this game are so clever

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The entire premise of the DLC is that it was going to be light on story, tons of hard combat for endgame party, dude buys it and then complains that it's light on story with tons of hard combat for engame party. Haha what the fuck I don't even.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
The release pushed up Deadfire's daily players by about 140 people. The DLC itself isn't even in the top 100 on the bestseller list. Best case scenario: everybody has already bought the season pass anyway and is waiting to play the game until it's complete :shittydog:

2house2fly

Magister
As long as they don't pull a Telltale and shut down before all three DLC are out I'm sitting pretty

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
It's tragic. The game has been constant incline since it released, but sales and reviews have been in constant decline.

If there's one lesson Obsidian should take away from this experience, it's that storyfags must be appeased. No amount of combat, exploration, itemization, and character building will save them from a crappy main quest.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Position 73 on the GOG bestseller list, behind Nox and The ABC Murders :eek:

Very foolish of Obsidian to think they could go up against the might of Owlcat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've kind of always assumed these DLCs weren't really meant to sell all that well and were basically training exercises for junior employees with nothing better to do + content for discounted Complete Editions later on

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No amount of combat, exploration, itemization, and character building will save them from a crappy main quest.
It didn't hinder D:OS2.

I think the main reason this game doesn't click with the casuals is twofold. Firstly, its tone is serious at first glance, and only becomes inane and childish once you start reading and listening to the VO, whereas the casuals prefer a more fantasy-lite tone, where they already intuit what the plot is without having to read.

Secondly, it's gameplay is "too complex" - the casual has to judge for himself when to press the pause button. In a TB game, he is spared this mental strain with the game pausing the action for him. Of course, the casual could configure his difficulty settings so that he never needs to press a pause button, and never needs to adjust the camera manually - this way he can play the game with just one hand on the mouse, like Diablo. But configuring the difficulty comes with the internal resistance to going down difficulty levels, and is in itself too complex for some.

2house2fly

Magister
I'm inclined to blame the embarrassing hash they made of the launch more than anything. People hear "Obsidian game " and think "wait a year until they've patched out the worst of the bugs and the game is on sale for cheap enough that you won't mind the remaining bugs as much". Obsidian needed a bug-free launch to get some word of mouth out, but Feargus needs a cash injection to buy a bidet so he doesn't have to use toilet paper in the rough dry heat of a California summer, so they release the game while it's still in beta, brave Josh Sawyer fighting tooth and nail to get it "delayed" to May, lo and behold the game launches buggy and now they just have to hope that all of those people who are sitting out game until patches are done actually buy it at the reduced "ultimate edition" price in the Christmas sale instead of just skipping it entirely

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

Gosh there is a video to get our blood pumping or what :eek: with the dinosaur at the end so a nice monster change like that makes exploring more fun but combat on veteran was very hard for me so this expansion might not be for me even on relaxed until I figure out more like eating food or drinking before combat. The first game just click and shoot spells swing weapons without really understanding the combat and it is good the sequel made it more difficult but it is not like the first one for me because I just can't do that anymore and lots of understand is need to win big challenges like dlc is offering. I remember the last dlc will be a big dungeon right? That is more what I like and spend days in the dungeon playing and exploring. I hope so. :salute:

Okay still in the city exploring all the places and shops and people it is so big and lots of fun to explore right up there with baldurs gate city and the city in the sequel and loads better than defiance bay! :cool:

Thanks,
Sherry

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The release pushed up Deadfire's daily players by about 140 people. The DLC itself isn't even in the top 100 on the bestseller list. Best case scenario: everybody has already bought the season pass anyway and is waiting to play the game until it's complete :shittydog:

Nope. Everyone has been waiting for all the DLCs to release, the game to be complete, and a huge discount on the bundle... There is no benefit for the average gamer to buy Pillars 2 right now. No benefit at all.

It seems to me most RPG publishers are complete morons. They don't understand the gamer's point of view at all. They release 100h marathon RPGs incomplete, buggy, with many DLC planned for the next months, and then they expect people to buy their games at release at full price and buy season passes... What for? Do they really think that we are going to spend 100h to complete a buggy incomplete mess, and then when the game adds content and gets improved, we are going to spend another 100h to play it again? We are not jobless autists!

If anyone can convince me why buying the game in May for full price was a better proposition than simply waiting till the end of the year for the patches and DLCs and a better discount, please do so...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, this is out. I've been gaming a lot lately but haven't had the urge to really launch PoE2 for some reason. Now I'm not entirely excited about this DLC, it's more fun reading what people are saying about Pathfinder lol, but I will continue my playthrough soon and decide whether to complete the DLCs now or wait for my next playthrough.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, like Lacrymas, I have not finished this yet. Reached level 16 though, yay!
...and decided to go back to an earlier character, who was 12. Now 14.
Maybe in a month or so, will have a look at the new DLC.
Enjoying every minute though.

One of the mechanic quirks I find exciting are the interactions of item abilities in PoE2. You know, we always had spell-like abilities in various RPGs. And spell scrolls. And spell clickies.
But Deadfire takes it to next level IMO. Abilities/spells cast by weapons inherit all the relevant weapon properties.

Take scimitar Grave Calling for example. It has one enchantment which allows it to stack 2% freeze lash per hit, up to 10 stacks (or 15 on alternate upgrade path) and upgrade which lets it paralyze enemies on crit when at max stacks. Lash bonus damage is nice (multiplicative with other sources), but its nothing spectacular, right?

Well there is another upgrade, which spawns a foe-only Chillfog when you kill a vessel (a wide category, which encompasses undead and constructs) with Grave Calling (used to be regardless of killing tool/spell, but its fixed now). Well, that Chillfog will inherit all bonuses from the sabre (Legendary quality for +60% damage and +12 Accuracy, might bonus; sneak attack bonus, soul whip bonus - if applicable; plus power level bonus). So it's pretty deadly, with some modifiers it reaches about 30 damage per tick (plus blinds enemies). Better yet, it's aoe hits per tick stack the freeze lash on Grave Calling and with 10 stacks, the aoe, foe-only blinding Chill Fog also paralyzes enemies on crit. Also vessels killed by the fog will spawn additional fogs... Quite insane really.

Also nice is that it is still a "weapon ability" and as such will continuously charge Focus if you're playing a Cipher.

Well, you may think that while cool, the application is limited, since it only helps in encounters with vessel enemies present. While theoretically true, a Chanter can summon skeletons with an invocation plus passively with a high-level Chant. You unfortunately have to kill them manually (unless you can become confused with Berserker rage, rogue Sap or enemy caster reflecting confused at you, then it's much simpler - as your Chillfogs will butcher friendlies, including summons), but it's well worth the effort, IMO. I find it helps to soften them with a fireball first (summon them into enemy ranks to engage and fireball both friend and foe) and then kill each one with 1 blow (of course doesn't always work and the timing is also tricky sometimes, as the duration isn't very long).

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One of the mechanic quirks I find exciting are the interactions of item abilities in PoE2. You know, we always had spell-like abilities in various RPGs. And spell scrolls. And spell clickies.
But Deadfire takes it to next level IMO. Abilities/spells cast by weapons inherit all the relevant weapon properties.
I find this inheritance scheme too confusing.

But I recently found out that if I cast the stronger summoned staff weapon, and then cast substantial avatar, the avatar will be armed with the staff too. This can be very useful.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Indeed. You can do such tricks sooner though. At PL 4 you can cast Siphon Touch or aoe Minor Blights and Essential Phantom and it will be armed with those effects (usually touch is 1-off, but Phantom will keep using it to deal corrode damage/drain health). Better yet, at PL 5 you can summon Citzal's Spirit Lance and have your Phantom armed with that :)

Speaking of which, you can also equip your copies (phantoms or the monk elemental twins) with various equipment that will trigger effects when hit/crit/when hitting. Can lead to some interesting combos...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom