Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pathfinder: Kingmaker Trailers, Previews and Interviews

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think KS backers have received anything yet.

Already had their shekels so Owlcat probably doesn't care.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I want this to be good, but I don't have a good feeling. Two things are making me very suspicious:

1) I can't find any actual reviews that are reviews, and not labeled "previews," or demos where the dev sat in. Which usually means the developer hasn't given out review keys, which usually means the game is shit.
2) I can't find any gameplay footage on YouTube that isn't from the open beta back in August, which was full of missing art assets, etc. The game drops TOMORROW, how is there no recent footage, anywhere?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I want this to be good, but I don't have a good feeling. Two things are making me very suspicious:

1) I can't find any actual reviews that are reviews, and not labeled "previews," or demos where the dev sat in. Which usually means the developer hasn't given out review keys, which usually means the game is shit.
2) I can't find any gameplay footage on YouTube that isn't from the open beta back in August, which was full of missing art assets, etc. The game drops TOMORROW, how is there no recent footage, anywhere?

I'm starting to sound like a broken record but reviews on release day is completely normal. You should know this.

If, on the other hand, on release day there are no more than a handful of reviews on a bunch of sites you've never heard of (as happened with Bard's Tale IV), then you might assume something is off.

PrettyDeadman

The game was in alpha and beta for a pretty long time. You had to buy the key, but they didn't restrict who can buy it or who can post videos / written expressions about the game (or at least didn't cause any problems for whose who did).

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

I'm starting to sound like a broken record but reviews on release day is completely normal. You should know this.

It is not normal anymore -- especially if the game is being backed by a fairly big publisher like Deep Silver, whose job it is to get journalists covering their product. If they had never hooked up with a publisher that would be a different story, but DS should be combing for friendly outlets and getting reviews placed a few days beforehand. That's how you do it in 2018.

Maybe this is an exception, okay fine. But if I go through my mental file of games for which I could not read a complete review at least a day beforehand, I'm thinking of games that ended up being mediocre (or bad).

Edit: I HOPE THIS IS NOT THE CASE. I want this game to be good. And I like what I have seen so far (from the beta) and what I saw at PAX.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Not to mention the trailers in op also showing several pieces of placeholder art. That is very strange to me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Almost all of the games I post about on the Codex front page have their reviews published on the day of release. Sometimes a few hours before, sometimes literally on the moment of release on Steam. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong games. *shrug*

That said, there's every reason to believe they've crunched on this game until the last minute, and didn't have time to create new trailers. Its scope seems crazy, especially for a first-time studio.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Almost all of the games I post about on the Codex front page have their reviews published on the day of release. Sometimes a few hours before, sometimes literally on the moment of release on Steam. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong games. *shrug*

That said, there's every reason to believe they've crunched on this game until the last minute, and didn't have time to create new trailers. It's got a pretty crazy scope, especially for a first-time studio.

Even if the reviews have an embargo, you'd still read about "journalists" playing the game and writing their reviews.

m_s0

Arcane
I don't think KS backers have received anything yet.

Already had their shekels so Owlcat probably doesn't care.
The official word is that keys are to drop "shortly before our release day on September 25th". Nothing as of yet.

A pre-load would've been a nice to avoid complete silence just before release day and keep the narrative surrounding release healthy, but yeah, it seems like they've been crunching HARD on the game.

Feels a bit like the olden days in that respect where the paper magazine release schedule and physical availability wouldn't necessarily permit you to read a review beforehand (though often there'd be an advanced preview of sorts - still a couple of months prior, though) and/or to get the game immediately even if you had reviews on release. That's assuming the game had a distributor in the first place. In my neck of the woods, anyway.

tl;dr: people are spoiled these days.

PrettyDeadman

kQcORdD.png

m_s0

Arcane
Update: keys are available if you log into the backer portal (+pre-load). No official announcement yet, though.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
What? Rage of Mages II is the best one!

Nah... I replayed it year ago or two, with exploit of killing Skrakan in first mission, that mage that send you to another allod. It didnt aged well in mechanics, felt morally old.
Evil islands, on the other hand is still good.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
wuts the diff from the version on sale? Oh found it

Explorer Edition
Digital download

Noble Edition
Premium Digital Download*
Digital ArtBook
Digital Original Sound Track
2 additional in-game player's portraits (one female + one male)

Royal Edition
Digital ArtBook
Digital Chris Avellone Adventure Module
Digital Map of Stolen Lands
In-game pet - Red Panda

Imperial Edition
Digital ArtBook
Digital Chris Avellone Adventure Module
Digital Map of Stolen Lands
In-game pet - Red Panda
Season Pass

Last edited:

Mech

Cipher
Well this just got added to my wish list.
Please don't be shit, please don't be shit.

Riel

Arcane
I am going to wait until I read people's experiences with the game, that's the sensible thing to do... fuck!! what's my credit card doing on my hand?!?!?!?

:shredder:

Deleted Member 22431

At this point, I just want a game with a good character system, without bullshit, with decent itemization that isn't Diablo shit and some decent fights to use all those cool items and abilities with. I want also a writing that at least doesn't make me wish to avoid it like a plague and drive me close to suicide out of insanity when I enter on any dialogue heavy zone.
You want too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom