Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas mods

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Hey guys what's it like to hate FO3 for being full of pointless procgenned loot caves whilst installing AWOP for New Vegas?

Fine since the only thing New Vegas lacked is loot caves and the only thing Fallout 3 had was loot caves.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Hey guys what's it like to hate FO3 for being full of pointless procgenned loot caves whilst installing AWOP for New Vegas?

People who actually love New Vegas don't play with AWOP. AWOP is left for shitters who think Fallout 3 was better than New Vegas because of the atmosphere and the gameplay.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
A decent amount of good ones have released, they just don't get the amount of attention that they deserve. Most are either 70-80% voice acted to 100% voice acted. And often with mildly interesting plots. It's a shame that most people stop at Someguy and look no further.

Call me an idiot but I don't bother with huge quests mods. Someguy's mods are praised to hell and back, and yet when I began New Vegas Bounties the first quest you get (IIRC) is to go kill a dude and take his trigger finger. That you can't kill any other NPC and take their finger and present it as proof was a major letdown that made me uninstall the mod. It could have lead to interesting scenarios where you can:
  1. Decide not to kill the mark and he eventually tries to kill you further in the mod.
  2. Talk with the mark, explain him the situation, not kill him and eventually he comes back to help you at some point further in the mod.
  3. For evidence you can kill any NPC and get a finger from him/her. If it's a woman the questgiver will know you are lying (and will bite you in the ass later), if it's a common man he will also know you are lying, meaning you would either have to kill a raider or certain selected NPCs that could pass off as realistic outlaws. There's one NPC in Westside that is (allegedly) amazing with guns, so he would be a perfect pick.
But no: you just need to go there, kill dude, loot and return. And the dialogues weren't any better. Again, feel free to call me an idiot for dismissing an entire type of mods based on just one guy's work. But the lack of polish always, ALWAYS shows in quest mods, sooner or later.

The only game that provided a perfect framework for quest mods wasn't exploited to its full potential: Morrowind.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
DUST is retarded. There's basically zero ammo and you die with a single shot. It revolves around crafting, but heavily revolving around crafting really doesn't work with the progression and skill system of New Vegas.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Call me an idiot but I don't bother with huge quests mods. Someguy's mods are praised to hell and back, and yet when I began New Vegas Bounties the first quest you get (IIRC) is to go kill a dude and take his trigger finger. That you can't kill any other NPC and take their finger and present it as proof was a major letdown that made me uninstall the mod. It could have lead to interesting scenarios where you can:
  1. Decide not to kill the mark and he eventually tries to kill you further in the mod.
  2. Talk with the mark, explain him the situation, not kill him and eventually he comes back to help you at some point further in the mod.
  3. For evidence you can kill any NPC and get a finger from him/her. If it's a woman the questgiver will know you are lying (and will bite you in the ass later), if it's a common man he will also know you are lying, meaning you would either have to kill a raider or certain selected NPCs that could pass off as realistic outlaws. There's one NPC in Westside that is (allegedly) amazing with guns, so he would be a perfect pick.
But no: you just need to go there, kill dude, loot and return. And the dialogues weren't any better. Again, feel free to call me an idiot for dismissing an entire type of mods based on just one guy's work. But the lack of polish always, ALWAYS shows in quest mods, sooner or later.

The only game that provided a perfect framework for quest mods wasn't exploited to its full potential: Morrowind.

I was also disappointed with New Vegas Bounties and uninstalled after the first quest. The mod unfortunately does not respect the game's design principles. The quest giver is not only immortal, but lives in a random shed in the middle of nowhere and gives away bounty hunting gear to the first person to walk through his door.

If you want to guarantee that an important NPC lives at a later stage, then save his introduction until later (Kimball, Oliver, Lanius). Any NPC can be killed, and that's part of the reason why no single NPC gives away 20 quests, they're all spread out over several quest givers. If he really, really needs to live, then pull a Vendortron and put bulletproof glass around him, but let the player lampshade its absurdity. If you can't accept that people may kill your NPC and make no effort to explain his immortality, then you've already failed.

I don't mind a character living alone in an isolated area as a hermit. But the thought of him running a business from there is absurd. The only thought behind his placement in the world seems to be compatibility with other mods.

And giving out equipment before the job's done is not only silly, but also goes against the design of New Vegas quests. You're not handed trooper armor and a fully loaded service rifle when accepting a job for the NCR, you're an independent mercenary who pay for your own equipment. The payment is given when you've completed your task.

I'm not saying there can't be some good design down the line in those three bounty mods, but the introduction told me that the mod creator didn't understand the basic design of the game and thus the quality would be pretty poor.

Ok, fuck it, might as well ask it here: is there any way to lower the level cap of JSawyer Ultimate below 35? For some reason JSU doesn't register Logan's loophole's lowered level cap and still treats your character as a regular one (capable of reaching 35 lvl).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Ok, fuck it, might as well ask it here: is there any way to lower the level cap of JSawyer Ultimate below 35? For some reason JSU doesn't register Logan's loophole's lowered level cap and still treats your character as a regular one (capable of reaching 35 lvl).
I'm looking at it in FNVEdit right now. JSawyer Ultimate.esp definitely does reduce the level cap to 21 with Logan's Loophole. See if you have a conflict with another mod.

Sykar

Arcane
I should propably add my few cents here to show my recently made New Vegas modding guide.
The scope of this guide has been to use mods that don't aggressively or bring out over-the-top features into the base game and that some of them, the bigger ones, could be configured. The mods included are not to make the game most "realistic" looking or "hardest", but to make up what would be consistent, relatively fitting to the game world, and stable as well.

Looked it up and liked it but the instructions are a bit misleading. You say "Install and extract" but really you just extract the files into the FONV folder. When someones says "install" I will usually expect a sort of installer which is simply not the case here.

Edit 1:
3. NVSE plugins
Now is time for the NVSE plugins, some required additions to make the life more viable in Mojave wasteland. You want to install these plugins manually and drop them into Fallout: New Vegas/Data/NVSE/Plugins folder.
Not quite right, the folders are already there in the compressed file so you just drop them into the data folder.

In general it is a good guide but some of your instructions can be confusing to less experienced players who have not modded much or at all. With an instruction like this they go to the Data folder and wonder for a moment why NVSE/Plugins is not present because they at that point exist in the compressed file you downloaded.

Imho you should check your guide carefully again and clear up potentially misleading instructions. They are not so bad that it is flat out wrong but they can lead to confusion.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I should propably add my few cents here to show my recently made New Vegas modding guide.
The scope of this guide has been to use mods that don't aggressively or bring out over-the-top features into the base game and that some of them, the bigger ones, could be configured. The mods included are not to make the game most "realistic" looking or "hardest", but to make up what would be consistent, relatively fitting to the game world, and stable as well.

Looked it up and liked it but the instructions are a bit misleading. You say "Install and extract" but really you just extract the files into the FONV folder. When someones says "install" I will usually expect a sort of installer which is simply not the case here.
Isn't LOOT shit, because it really can't replace manually ordering mods?

Sykar

Arcane
No idea it has been over five years since my last playthrough and I forgot much of how I modded it back then. This looks pretty inline with what I am seeking in general though, bug fixes, better hardcore mode, textures and restorations nothing else. I am not a big fan of overhauls like Project Nevada for example.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Now that I have done some more research I found that I need the removal of tags. Whether speech tags or sneak tags it ruins immersion for me. Same for tags whether containers are empty or not.

laclongquan

Arcane
I'm looking at it in FNVEdit right now. JSawyer Ultimate.esp definitely does reduce the level cap to 21 with Logan's Loophole. See if you have a conflict with another mod.

Why not install a increase level threshold mod? It stretch the xp distance between levels thus you play at lower level a hell of a lot more than normal.

The time I played is with 2x. But 3x is about right for a FNV veteran~

Sykar

Arcane
Anyone knows if I still should get NMC texture mod when I got Ojo Bueno, all Textures over Time and Vurts Flora overhaul (wanted dead but seems to cause crashes so went with fertile)? Will still get texture mods for clutter, armors and weapons. Thought about animation mod but meh dont want to bother with mcm which is why I went with Vanilla UI+ or whatever its called.

Black Angel

Arcane
Anyone knows if I still should get NMC texture mod when I got Ojo Bueno, all Textures over Time and Vurts Flora overhaul (wanted dead but seems to cause crashes so went with fertile)? Will still get texture mods for clutter, armors and weapons. Thought about animation mod but meh dont want to bother with mcm which is why I went with Vanilla UI+ or whatever its called.
What mod manager are you using? Mod Organizer? Because STEP guide (Fear and Loathing in New Vegas) recommended ALL of those textures mods, of which I personally followed because my rig can kinda handle those. While I'm personally not that hot about graphics, Gamebryo's looks is waaay too outdated for my taste that I can't stomach it so I'd say if your rig can handle it, just go for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom