Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Amon loses 1 MP for his trouble.

"We may want to start making those traps at the front gate now."

Amon leaves the interrogation to the angry "Fire Wizard" and heads to the front gate.

Amon is going to look for long poles to set up anti cavalry spikes. A nice V shape that canalizes the riders as they attempt to enter the gate would be nice. Then he is going to dig small holes, put sharpened sticks in them and cover them with animal crap. Additionally, he is going to look for some objects he can suspend at the front gate (bales of hay or linen). He wants to cover them in pitch or oil, whatever he can find that will make a great fire for round two and use a rope tied to an object near the gate to easily drop it on anyone who dares to enter. He will need some help to get it all done in a timely manner.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"We may want to start making those traps at the front gate now."

Amon leaves the interrogation to the angry "Fire Wizard" and heads to the front gate.

Amon is going to look for long poles to set up anti cavalry spikes. A nice V shape that canalizes the riders as they attempt to enter the gate would be nice. Then he is going to dig small holes, put sharpened sticks in them and cover them with animal crap. Additionally, he is going to look for some objects he can suspend at the front gate (bales of hay or linen). He wants to cover them in pitch or oil, whatever he can find that will make a great fire for round two and use a rope tied to an object near the gate to easily drop it on anyone who dares to enter. He will need some help to get it all done in a timely manner.
sounds like a repair/devise roll. Everyone can chip in and help on a success, adding 1/5th of their skill to the person directing the project (Amon in this case).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric sprints at full speed after the fleeing riders. In a matter of about a minute he catches up to the wagon that is trying to trundle its way down the switch-backed slope. Just before Borric is able to close the full distance with the wagon he gradually begins to regain his senses; the blood-lust starts to fade and he feels his lungs burning and is slightly fatigued. Regardless, Borric realizes that he'll overtake the man driving the wagon in about 20 seconds
Can I grab on to the wagon and get a free ride, so to speak?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr gathers the horses and bodies of the men who came after him and heads for the gate, dumping the bodies near the captives.
"Things seem in hand here, Marcán. Where's Borric and how many got away?"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Stop groveling. How large is this operation? How many men were hired?" Marcán says in a lower tone, but no less visibly angry.

He looks to his friends. "Off. Chasing the rest of them, about 5 or so. If we get the rest of the information from these louts, I can find the bastards who did this, the real bastard, and save my village. With luck, lots of it. Not sure if I can ask any of you to aid me in this, it's a selfish task."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr disarms the prisoners then mounts up. "If you have them handled, I'll make sure Borric doesn't thrash their fleeing comrades to the point we can't question them. We can discuss the real bastard when we return with what's left of the runaways."
Rhenmyr nods to Marcán and rides after the barbarian.

Siveon

Bot
"With all due respect to Borric I don't think he can catch up to a horse. But do try." Marcán waves him off.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric sprints at full speed after the fleeing riders. In a matter of about a minute he catches up to the wagon that is trying to trundle its way down the switch-backed slope. Just before Borric is able to close the full distance with the wagon he gradually begins to regain his senses; the blood-lust starts to fade and he feels his lungs burning and is slightly fatigued. Regardless, Borric realizes that he'll overtake the man driving the wagon in about 20 seconds
Can I grab on to the wagon and get a free ride, so to speak?
Seeing as you're rating it yes, I'm gonna run for a bit and grab onto the underside of the wagon.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Amon sets about arranging defenses for the top of the hillfort and with Rhenmyr's aid will have a reasonable array of pikes, a suspended naptha-soaked sheaf of hay suspended from a rope, and some shallow pits with fecally enhanced spikes next to the gate. The whole operation will take about 6 man hours. Mab, Urash, and even Solon help with the effort (they each apologize for not coming to aid the effort, since they never could tell what was happening and decided to hang back at the second ambush site).

Meanwhile, Borric runs up behind the wagon as it is being carefully (and slowly) navigated down the switch-backed road he grabs hold of the gate on the back and suspends himself from his fingertips as it bounces along the rutted out road (ERYFKRAD Borric is going to need a STR x4 roll to hang on. For every five minutes that you hang on, the Difficulty rating will increase to STRx3, STRx2, and finally STRx1). Is there something you want do besides hang on? The driver only occasionally looks over his shoulder intent as he is on navigating the difficult road. Once he reaches the flats along the river the wagon will likely pick up speed from its current MOV 5 to probably about MOV 10. The road runs parallel to the forest between it and the river Don all the way to Zelkor's Ferry, which is about 30 miles away. FYI, there are several wadded-up tarpaulins in the back of the wagon and several coils of stout rope; enough that you could possibly hide under (with a successful Hide roll).

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Stop groveling. How large is this operation? How many men were hired?" Marcán says in a lower tone, but no less visibly angry.

He looks to his friends. "Off. Chasing the rest of them, about 5 or so. If we get the rest of the information from these louts, I can find the bastards who did this, the real bastard, and save my village. With luck, lots of it. Not sure if I can ask any of you to aid me in this, it's a selfish task."
Marcán continues his interrogation:
The man who does the talking seems to speak with enough authority that the other men all look to him and defer (probably a sergeant or somesuch). His face contorts as if he's wrestling with some inner conflict, "Look. We were hired out of Commorium weeks ago. We arrived by ship and were directed here to secure any valuables and to search for something. All I know is that the Hyperborean said we were to find some polished greenstone about the size of a melon, with three striped bands carved into it. I don't know why it is so important, but he said we'd be well rewarded if we found it and brought it back to fortress in yon forest."to He points vaguely to the east. "There's a camp there with about a dozen other men who I don't know and we were not allowed to fraternize with. They seemed like men of learning, not soldiers and not common bandits neither. They sequester themselves inside the walls of this ruined keep and only come out in pairs occasionally. There are hundreds of people locked in wooden stockades just outside the keep and these scholarly types feed these people carrion and offal that they eat without hesitation, I'm guessing there's some sort of drug in those amphorae they carry with them; some milky drink that they force-feed the captives which makes them drooling idiots. The Hyperborean Dunamir comes and goes every few days on a great black warhorse, but I don't know the to and from and we don't ask. As I said before, we didn't capture these folk or take this village, they were already gone when arrived. We were just hired to collect valuables and search for this lump of stone."

(Make a world lore check for Marcán Siveon)

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strx4 roll : [1d100] = 41 vs 72

Don't have the time to follow the escapees, scout their base and rush back. So, tell me what I should do to knock the driver out, hide the wagon out of the way, or take it back to Marcan's place, and join my bros in seeing up defenses.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Strx4 roll : [1d100] = 41 vs 72

Don't have the time to follow the escapees, scout their base and rush back. So, tell me what I should do to knock the driver out, hide the wagon out of the way, or take it back to Marcan's place, and join my bros in seeing up defenses.
Make a move quietly roll if you want to sneak up on him and attack him at +50% to whatever skill you want to use (and he can't parry or dodge) or whatever else you can think of. In general you can always just tell me what you want to do and then I'll figure out what you need to roll.

Siveon

Bot

Marcán does not recall such an item. Marcán relays this information to his allies, especially to Solon and Urash. But not before tying up the prisoners.

Could securing the prisoners be part of the preperations?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Amon also searches the dead leader.
Amon rifles through the dead wagon-masters belongings and turns out his pouches, pockets and anything else he can find. In a pouch you find a small wooden box divided into 8 compartments. Each compartment holds a small clay vial about 4 inches long and an inch wide. Each is stoppered with a wax plug. Additionally you find a very fine dagger tucked into a boot with a wavy pattern etched into the blade (think wootz steel, the blade has double hit points and does +1 damage over normal daggers), He's wearing black lacquered scale armor of fine make (-10% to skill penalties) and has a sizeable cache of silver, bronze and gold coins minted in Commorium: 40 bronzes, 65 silvers, and 20 gold. The other dead men wear similar lacquered scale mail that is not as fine and their arms are of standard iron manufacture. Between the prisoners and dead you accumulate an additional 133 bronzes, 30 silvers, and an assortment of moderate to low value silver, bronze and copper jewelry (rings, earrings, etc.)

Marcán does not recall such an item. Marcán relays this information to his allies, especially to Solon and Urash. But not before tying up the prisoners.

Could securing the prisoners be part of the preperations?
Fortunately, the town's stockade is still perfectly serviceable. It doesn't have a lock, but it does bar from the outside, and it only takes a few minutes to deposit the prisoners there.

Amon is going to clean off the blood, and then put on the fine lacquered scale armor. He will secure the wootz steel dagger with the other two so he has three items to toss at people. He also inspects the box of vials and uses his knowlege of potions to discern what's in each. Lastly he will take his share of the loot as he is still poor.

[1d100] = 16 vs 40 = Success.

The last fight was a learning experience for Amon. One or two on one are potentially survivable odds with light armor. Three on one with light armor equals a long, but eventually deadly fight.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Amon is going to clean off the blood, and then put on the fine lacquered scale armor. He will secure the wootz steel dagger with the other two so he has three items to toss at people. He also inspects the box of vials and uses his knowlege of potions to discern what's in each. Lastly he will take his share of the loot as he is still poor.

The last fight was a learning experience for Amon. One or two on one are potentially survivable odds with light armor. Three on one with light armor equals a long, but eventually deadly fight.
Amon gets a whiff of the vials and concludes that they are probably some sort of explosive like Atlantean Fire. Likely exploding when they contact the air. You think better of breaking one of the wax seals.

Amon gets a whiff of the vials and concludes that they are probably some sort of explosive like Atlantean Fire. Likely exploding when they contact the air. You think better of breaking one of the wax seals.

Looks like some copycat pyros. Don't these guys know fire is our groups problem solver?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom