Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's become daemon cops in Unavowed (Finished)

Koschey

Arcane
Oldfag: Mandana
Newfag: Vicki

And goddamn, that succesion line. Didn't get it in my playthrough, as I just naturally took control and jumped straight to asking Eli about the knife. Seeing as there are other chapters of the Unavowed with rules regarding the interaction between different chapters, shouldn't there also be some general succession rules? Unless it is just 'Rule of succession is left to the individual chapters'. As if all plot points were written first, but instead of doing the world building afterwards half of it was forgotten, so sensible questions just get a 'dunno, lol' answer. Disappointing.

A related complaint: The game can't seem to make its mind up how long Codexia has been a cop. Her 'burned out cops' line this update makes it sound like it has been many, many years, but the intro presents her as a rookie with what, perhaps a year or two of experience? Are the other backgrounds written this inconsistently?

edit: fixed now, Storyfag

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Her 'burned out cops' line this update makes it sound like it has been many, many years, but the intro presents her as a rookie with what, perhaps a year or two of experience?
I think the game says you've been a cop for a while, but only recently made detective.

lightbane

Arcane
And goddamn, that succesion line. Didn't get it in my playthrough, as I just naturally took control and jumped straight to asking Eli about the knife. Seeing as there are other chapters of the Unavowed with rules regarding the interaction between different chapters, shouldn't their also be some general succession rules? Unless it is just 'Rule of succession is left to the individual chapter

I wouldn't be surprised if the other branches consider the Murica' one a joke, seeing that despite being peaceful and easy for decades, they had TWO OPERATIVES WITH NO ACTUAL RESERVES for years, and yet somehow their rookies fared as bad as the average X-Com employee.

This also means that retirement is probably not a thing in said organization, but that's for Codexia for not reading the fine print. Or not being able to see magical, invisible ink.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
20180925145128_1.jpg

Eli, Vicki, yer coming with me.

20180925145133_1.jpg

Spooky.

vicky4.png
Jesus, this place. You know, the cops around here might have treated me like last week's trash, but they did their job. They went over this place with a fine-tooth comb. Twice. You really think we can find something they didn't?

20180925145147_1.jpg

vicky4.png
Don't answer that.

Eli keeps a close watch on the portal.

Vicki's face looks like she swallowed a lemon. She clearly doesn't like being back here.

Before we examine the portal, there are some...

20180925145211_1.jpg

convenient Papers (tm) on the ground.

eli1.png
What you've got there?

vicky1.png
Some handwritten notes. Looks like a journal. It's your handwriting, isn't it?

Oh God, it had to be a convenient journal :negative:

20180925145225_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Yes, this is my handwriting.

eli1.png
Guess that proves it. Your demon was here.

vicky1.png
Well, don't keep us in suspense. Read the thing.

20180925145232_1.jpg

As a precaution I have cast a veil over my journal and then left it in plain sight.

eli2.png
A fossil. Really.

vicky1.png
Come on, let's keep reading.

20180925145309_1.jpg

Dear diary, allow me to share my masterplan with you.

eli2.png
[Intelligence] This is insane. The demon's filling the city with supernatural energy. On PURPOSE. I guess that explains why we've been so busy lately.

20180925145335_1.jpg

Oh hey, a convenient listing of new leads. Thanks, demon-self.

eli2.png
Our demon's sure been busy.

20180925145407_1.jpg

I have a pocket dimension so I'll just leave this journal here for my arch-nemeses to find because I'm a big fat dummy.

You know, actually this is so damn convenient and stupid that I'm starting to suspect it's an elaborate trap and the journal was left here in plain view on purpose.

eli1.png
[Intelligence] So the demon created a pocket realm. That's gotta be where it went.

20180925145442_1.jpg

What else could this be if not the gate.

vicky1.png
This is a portal, right? It looks like the one the General popped out of.

eli3.png
Yeah, but portals like this take a huge amount of energy to create. But... if someone were to spend a year generating magical unrest in New York, creating lots of magical energy as a by-product...

vicky1.png
You mean like our demon just did?

eli1.png
Yes, exactly like that. That's what all this was for.

20180925145503_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Can we unseal the portal?

eli1.png
I wouldn't know where to begin. It's sealed solid.

20180925145509_1.jpg

:codexisfor: So what now? Find a magic crowbar?

vicky3.png
That... doesn't really exist, does it?

vicky2.png
Cuz if it does, I want one.

eli1.png
There are... bonds of energy holding the portal closed. I can kind of sense them.

eli3.png
And... they feel FRAYED?

@_@

vicky1.png
Frayed?

eli4.png
Yeah. And pretty recently too.

vicky1.png
Wait, this is because of US, isn't it? We're fixing all the stuff the demon screwed up. There's less mojo to hold this thing closed?

eli4.png
Exactly.

20180925145534_1.jpg

:codexisfor: We've been getting closer to the demon this whole time.

vicky2.png
Just like police work. You pound enough pavement, something eventually shakes loose.

20180925145538_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Then we know where to go next.

We know our duty and we will do it!

vicky1.png
That's what I'm talking about. Let's get the hell out of here.

20180925145548_1.jpg

Wait, really? That's it?

Surely there's gonna be a sudden trap and random encounter when we try to leave.

20180925145555_1.jpg

Nope. Exeunt.

20180925145556_1.jpg

Well then :lol:

I guess there are different places here depending on character class and filling all three versions with different content was too much werk.

logan1.png
Uh, Vicki? KayKay can see you staring, you know.

vicky1.png
Crap. Sorry, kid.

logan1.png
... Vicki. You're still doing it.

vicky1.png
Well, tell her to quit bouncing around like that, it's distracting.

logan1.png
You can tell her yourself, you know. She's right there.

vicky1.png
*Sigh* Hey KayKay, can you stop bobbing up and down? Please?

logan1.png
... She said no.

vicky1.png
Yeah, I guessed that.

Anyway,

20180925145648_1.jpg

We must gather the party and pick the next target. You know the drill.

Koschey

Arcane
First diary page: 'Boy, the local Unavowed chapter REALLY sucks, no danger at all.'
Last page: 'Have I overestimated the Unavowed?'
Seems like Codexia's nemesis is a time traveler and read the thread :lol:

Let's go to Wall Street with Eli and Vicki.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I am pretty sure that no matter what option we choose we are going to overstimate the fun we are about to receive.
I used the random.org and it gave me Brooklyn. So i suggest Brooklyn.

lightbane

Arcane
A fucking Bioshock-esque diary, really? Even worse, the fucking veil doesn't work as your companions can read it, instead of adding a line or two that only the PC can do so, as they should by virtue of being the former host. The logical option would be for this to be a trap, but I'm afraid we won't get even that. As for the votes...
The demon was completely right on the local cops being idiots until the player joints them. Also, the plot reminds me of the whole wonder crap of Changeling, the Dreaming, but turned towards EVIL! for unintentional hilarity.

Wall Street, Logan + Mandana

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Chinatown (pancakes with pork, bean sprouts, and shrimp for me), Mandana to meet old Yangtze pirate buddies + Logan to speak with the ancestor spirits.

orcinator

Liturgist
I'm sure chinatown will be the most original experience so go there.
Take Manana, maybe there will be a poorly animated swordfight.
Bro, I'm sorry.

I'm not sure if that means Chinatown will be as unoriginal as everything else or there are no swords. Either way I just finished watching a True Crime LA LP and I want to know how close that game's depiction of chinatown is to this game's.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Either way I just finished watching a True Crime LA LP and I want to know how close that game's depiction of chinatown is to this game's.

Well I've just finished watching Big Trouble in Little China and I have no doubt this game's depiction of Chinatown will not be as gud :rpgcodex:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Eli and Mandana. Maybe she will be useful for once.
Nah, don't think so.

Let's occupy Wall Street

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Tigranes It’s WEG’s best-selling (per Dave), best-reviewed, and tied-for-highest user-rated game ever. It may not be the game for the Codex, but it's the game for somebody (a lot of somebodies). It's also the game for Dave himself. He's always explained that puzzles were his least favorite part of adventures and stories were his most favorite -- the setting, the structure, etc. is all what he's been working toward for years. It's pretty awesome when someone's dream project turns out to be lucrative and well-received. I'm sure someone else will continue catering to the niche-within-a-niche-within-a-niche crowd that likes retro puzzle-based point-and-click adventures.

Then why isn't he writing a book, or if he likes the combination of text and pictures do comics. It's basically the visual novel approach to gameplay, which has always puzzled me (except for hentai, at least I can see why people like that)

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
(1) It's very hard to make money selling books, and very easy to do so selling games.
(2) Dave's brand is in games.
(3) Dave's infrastructure is in games.
(4) There is something different about the experience of even slightly interactive games and static texts. I'm sure you can find lots of literature about it. But "they walked along and then they found a note from the demon and read it and it's a list that goes like this" would not work very well in a novel, but it earns rave reviews in a game because of the interactive element.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I'm not sure I would call that interactive, but okay, those are good points, even if I'm not sure (1) that making money in indy games these days is a much better option than making money writing books

Anyway, I wasted money on this and wish I hadn't bought into the hype, it's just so mediocre

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

97% positive on Steam, 4.5 stars on GOG, etc., seems like most people love it. The Codex is just like one of those reservations in Brave New World where savages still roam.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
20180927143100_1.jpg

The troupe is ready, the stage is set.

20180927143106_1.jpg

The great vagina in the sky awaits.

20180927143109_1.jpg

Phallic imagery intensifies.

20180927143114_1.jpg

20180927143121_1.jpg

eli1.png
Huh?

logan1.png
KayKay wants to see the statue of liberty. The ferry's nearby.

eli4.png
Heh, that's so fun. I took my girls there once, she'll love it.

logan1.png
Er, yeah. She likes flying up to the statue's head and mooning it.

:shredder:

eli3.png
Oh, um. That's fun too, I guess.

Eli looks more relaxed than you've ever seen him. He stands taller. His steps are bouncier.

Logan continues to smile and nod to a voice only he can hear.

There's a poster for a missing child hanging on the building.

20180927143158_1.jpg

cef.jpg

(I forgot to post this image at the Art sex scene. Thankfully another opportunity arrived to use it!)

Also, to the left is a woman, busy attaching a poster to the wall.

20180927143229_1.jpg

Preposterous. I wanna talk!

lady3.png
I... really don't want to talk, okay?

But please m'lady.

lady3.png
Please, I'm not in the mood.

Nonsense, a little chat never hurt anyone.

lady3.png
I'm ignoring you. Go away.

/ignored
borealesad.jpg

The way east (right) leads to a downtown residential area. West (left) goes to Wall Street, past a damp little park.

We went right in the Bronx, so let's do that here too.

20180927143336_1.jpg

Auspicious.

20180927143337_1.jpg

Oh not again.

:evilcodex: Ah, the chaos gods speak clearly now.

20180927143338_1.jpg

20180927143340_1.jpg

... I won't let one mistake destroy everything I've built. I WON'T. Too many depend on us. There's too much at stake.

20180927143354_1.jpg

:martini: "Too big to fail"? I've heard that before.

It was true then, and it is true now. The Trust must survive. If we go down? It would be catastrophic. You told me you could make all this go away. Is this true?

20180927143406_1.jpg

:martini: I wouldn't lie about something this important.

It's lying that got us into this mess. Be sure to remember that. Listen, Miss... what was your name again? It is not my nature to trust anyone. Least of all a stranger. And yet, I think you're the woman for the job. Whatever it is you need to do? Do it. With my blessing.

20180927143420_1.jpg

:martini: You won't regret this, Jason.

Let's go to my office and discuss this privately.

20180927143424_1.jpg

20180927143426_1.jpg

20180927143429_1.jpg

20180927143431_1.jpg

Hello, random citizen.

lady1.png
Should I call an ambulance?

eli1.png
Oh. Hi. No. Our friend is just having... an episode. She gets them. Sometimes.

lady2.png
You're...

lady3.png
No, nevermind, it's not my problem.

20180927143443_1.jpg

Codexia gets up :thumbsup:

lady4.png
Well, you SEEM all right.

wat

lady1.png
Just be careful around here, it's...

ITZ

lady2.png
Well, just be careful.

20180927143455_1.jpg

exit concerned citizen

logan1.png
Well, that was awkward.

:lol:

Let's see what we have here.

Strong wooden doors form a barrier to a pleasant apartment building.

Obviously it's locked.

Also some buzzers for individual apartments.

20180927143622_1.jpg

thinking.png

The poster mentioned an apartment 4E. Let's call that.

20180927143624_1.jpg

20180927143627_1.jpg

:codexisfor: I read about your missing son.

You... did? You know where he is?

20180927143630_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Er, no, I don't. Sorry.

Smooth :lol:

Then... why? Just stop bothering me!

The voice hangs up.

Nothing more to do here, so let's go (W)est

20180927143701_1.jpg

Passing through here, Codexia spots that the poster put up by the concerned citizen is the same one of the missing child. The plot thickens!

(W)

20180927143710_1.jpg

We got hobos.

hugh1.png
That they are too important. Too VITAL to fail. So they walk like giants in the clouds. Looking down on us with disgust. Nobody can see the truth. Nobody can see them for what they are. They are thieves! Stealing our future. OUR CHILDREN! And we let them, over and over again. This building. This gleaming glass monolith. It represents all we want to be. But it was built on a foundation of LIES, and sustained by the gullible. The gullible who sell their souls willingly to a god who doesn't care.

commie.gif

The man grips his sign like his life depends on it.

The famous Charging Bull of Wall Street, a monument to finance.

More like the golden calf. Or brazen bull.

Also, the building belongs to GCT, a financial megacorp, dogged by scandal and accusations of underhanded dealings.

Let's chat up the hobo.

20180927143832_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Are you all right?

hugh1.png
All right? Society is being consumed by a terminal poison! We have been robbed and nobody sees it! So no, madam, I am not alright. I am in great pain, as we all are.

20180927143843_1.jpg

:codexisfor: If there was a robbery, you should report it.

hugh1.png
Report it to WHO? The police? The police can do nothing. They are asleep. They don't SEE.

@_@

Mayhap they don't need eyes to see.

20180927143853_1.jpg

:codexisfor: "They don't see"? You don't mean void-touched, do you?

Smooth.

hugh1.png
The only void is the grand emptiness inside the Grant City Trust! They are the cancerous tumor, poisoning society and STEALING our future. But nobody sees it. They can't.

:codexisfor: Our future's been taken?

hugh1.png
Yes. Yes, it has. Taken by us. For the benefit of THEM! The giants on high!

T-H-E-M

hugh2.png
Pity the few who are chosen. They... know not why.

:codexisfor: You don't mean literal giants, do you?

hugh1.png
They BELIEVE they are giants. Looking down at us from the clouds and calling us losers. But THEY are the losers. They would be NOTHING if it weren't for us.

:codexisfor: What are you doing out here?

hugh1.png
Screaming into the abyss in the hope that someone hears me.

We call that shitposting.

hugh2.png
Can you hear me?

logan1.png
We heard you. It would be kinda hard not to.

hugh2.png
You hear with your ears, but not your MIND.

@_@

hugh1.png
You are asleep. WAKE UP!

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

hugh3.png
Please.

:codexisfor: I... don't understand what you mean.

hugh2.png
I know. I just hoped... No. This is... my cross to bear.

:codexisfor: We are asleep?

hugh1.png
Yes! Because I am the only one awake! Please wake up. Please!

:codexisfor: What is your issue with the Grant City Trust?

hugh3.png
They... they...

hugh1.png
They are a cancer on society! Taking our future! Taking our LIVES!

logan1.png
Look, I get that you're upset, but all this shouting? It's not healthy. You understand that, right?

hugh1.png
I mean PRECISELY what I say!

:codexisfor: Bye. We'll leave you to... whatever you're doing.

Be cool, hobo.

20180927144032_1.jpg

Surging forward.

20180927144054_1.jpg

Hello there.

logan1.png
Yeah, I can see him. Old guy, wearing a suit. Looking down the street.

20180927144200_1.jpg

Well then, you know your job, Logan.

logan1.png
Hey, um, excuse me? Could we talk for a second?

20180927144205_1.jpg

logan1.png
Dude. The kid?

Heh. Sorry. Didn't see you there. What's your name? KayKay, huh? Well, KayKay, here's an early lesson for you: Never trust a man who doesn't swear. My dad taught me that.

Wise. Very wise.

20180927144403_1.jpg

logan1.png
You said your service was slow?

I believe the phrase was "slow as shit".

logan1.png
Er, yeah, that. What service?

My CAR service. Been waiting for... I don't know how long.

logan1.png
I hate to tell you this, but I don't think your car service is coming.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that too. Well, I can give it a little longer, I'm in no hurry.

logan1.png
No, you're, um, definitely not.

logan1.png
I'm Logan Brown. You've already met KayKay. What's your name?

You seriously don't know?

logan1.png
Nope, I don't.

Then my name is... Richard. Richard Gere.

:desu:

logan1.png
For real?

Hah, no.

:negative:

logan1.png
Seriously, man, what's your name?

Paul Newman.

logan1.png
No, it's not.

John Travolta.

logan1.png
No.

Is it Al Pacino?

logan1.png
I'm the one asking you.

Then I guess it can't be that important.

Cheeky bugger :rpgcodex:

20180927144448_1.jpg

logan1.png
Do you work here at the Grant City Trust?

What gave it away? My suit?

logan1.png
Well, yeah, it's a good suit. What do you do here?

Little of this, little of that.

logan1.png
That's... kinda vague.

Always keep 'em guessing. That's what my dad always said.

logan1.png
I guess we'll see you around.

Sure. Now where is that god damn car service...

20180927144516_1.jpg

Gird your loins, sharpen your steel. The heathen temple awaits :bunkertime:

20180927144534_1.jpg

All this pink is making me uncomfortable.

On the right, a bank of elevators to usher you into the inner sanctum.

Also a guard - this man seems bored, but happy.

20180927144655_1.jpg

This guy reminds me of someone.

legacy0443.jpg

20180927144657_1.jpg

:codexisfor: You're open late.

guard1.png
It isn't late in Beijing, or in Australia. Global world of finance. Someone is always working here, which means someone is always at this desk.

:codexisfor: Can I go in?

guard1.png
Sure, just show me your ID and I'll buzz you right in.

20180927144707_1.jpg

:codexisfor: I don't have an ID. Can I go in anyway?

clear.png

Optimistic!

guard1.png
I shouldn't, but what the hell. Go right ahead.

:nocountryforshitposters:

eli1.png
Seriously?

guard1.png
Uh, NO? Sorry, I'm just messing with you guys. The late shift gets boring, what can I say?

:codexisfor: Thanks for your time.

guard1.png
See you around.

Behind the guard, a portrait of an imperious-looking older man gazes down at you.

20180927144729_1.jpg

'Sup.

logan1.png
Didn't you call that guy "Jason" back in that vision of yours?

eli1.png
Jason... Grant? I don't believe it.

logan1.png
You know him?

eli1.png
Sure, I know him. Well, KNEW him. Back in the 60s. Jason was just a fresh-faced kid back then. He sure got... old.

logan1.png
That's not all he got. This guy's the spitting image of the ghost outside.

eli1.png
You're joking.

logan1.png
No. This is the guy, right, KayKay? See? She agrees with me.

eli1.png
... well.

20180927144857_1.jpg

Spill the beans, fat man.

:codexisfor: Did you know Jason Grant?

guard2.png
Not really. I mean, he walked past the desk every day. He'd say hello, but we never really TALKED. I guess we never will now, poor goy.

20180927144901_1.jpg

:codexisfor: How did Jason Grant die?

guard2.png
Had a heart attack just outside the door. Was waiting for his car service, when POOF! Out like a light. The guy was fit too. Well, fit for a 73 year old.

logan1.png
So he wasn't expecting to die.

guard2.png
Well, I mean who IS? He was stressed out, I'll say that much. I don't care how in shape you are, if you can't relax, you're not healthy.

:codexisfor: So he was stressed?

guard1.png
Well, like I said, I saw him every day. We didn't talk much, but he was always laughing and joking with people. But towards the end? He was always alone. He never laughed. He never smiled. He looked, well... stressed.

guard3.png
Maybe it's the economy. You keep hearing it's bouncing back, but maybe he knew something we plebs didn't.

Bad ekanami.

:codexisfor: Can you tell me more about Jason Grant?

guard1.png
Er, well, he named this bank after himself? I honestly don't know much. Nice enough guy, but I don't know much else. Sorry.

:codexisfor: Who's running the bank now that the founder is dead?

guard3.png
That would be Roy Fellows. I... don't know much about him.

He doesn't know much about nothing.

eli1.png
Why's that?

guard3.png
Cuz I never see the guy. If he ever comes and goes, it's never when I'm on shift. But the lights are still on and I still get paid, so I figure he's doing all right.

It seems the local Intrigue (tm) is starting to take shape. We shall investigate further next time.

clear.png

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
forgot to post this image at the Art sex scene. Thankfully another opportunity arrived to use it!)

Does somone say "Birace" for real?
Hello, random citizen.

A citizen with good sight and ears, considering she was quite far away and busy with something else.

No, nevermind, it's not my problem.

Totally not seeing past the veil or something.

That they are too important. Too VITAL to fail. So they walk like giants in the clouds. Looking down on us with disgust. Nobody can see the truth. Nobody can see them for what they are. They are thieves! Stealing our future. OUR CHILDREN! And we let them, over and over again. This building. This gleaming glass monolith. It represents all we want to be. But it was built on a foundation of LIES, and sustaiend by the gullible. The gullible who sell their souls willingly to a god who doesn't care.

Is that a hipster hobo making an anti-capitalism rant in front of a bank, really? :lol:
In the middle of the night and raining to boot. Gotta love that fanatic dedication.

Also, the building belongs to GCT, a financial megacorp, dogged by scandal and accusations of underhanded dealings.

So like the average megacorp.

"They don't see"? You don't mean void-touched, do you?

Smooth.

Fallout 3 level of intelligent dialogues.

Gird your loins, sharpen your steel. The heathen temple awaits :bunkertime:

The over-the-top description makes me wonder if the writer had a serious "commie moment" or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom