Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline There are no more good RPGs anymore

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
And I mean real good, like we used to get in 90's and 00's that would combine art-storytelling-mechanics-music.
Today a game always lacks in one of those aspects due to it being indie (1 guy can't create all of that) or being dumbed down( derp dung age hurr durr).
The last good RPG I played was in the 00's and it was KOTOR 2.
RPGs died around the time when first Mass Effect was created.

ArchAngel

Arcane
And I mean real good, like we used to get in 90's and 00's that would combine art-storytelling-mechanics-music.
Today a game always lacks in one of those aspects due to it being indie (1 guy can't create all of that) or being dumbed down( derp dung age hurr durr).
The last good RPG I played was in the 00's and it was KOTOR 2.
RPGs died around the time when first Mass Effect was created.
Kotor 2 has terrible mechanics and combat. Stop using those drugs man...

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Kotor has normal rpg mechanics and RTWP combat (not turn based but still)

ArchAngel

Arcane
No it didn't. It used D20 Star Wars pnp mechanics as a base but made a lot of changes to it. In the end it played terrible with little to no balance.

Peacefriend

Novice
like we used to get in 90's and 00's that would combine art-storytelling-mechanics-music.

Was such combination actually common? If you look at codex favorites: Planescape has terrible mechanics while blobbers often had little to no story. Still they are liked for what they are good at - being good in all aspects is not necessary for a game to be good.
And I have not played KOTORs, but I have received the impression their mechanics are terrible as well?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
No it didn't. It used D20 Star Wars pnp mechanics as a base but made a lot of changes to it. In the end it played terrible with little to no balance.

HAHAAHHAAHAHH BALANCE IN A SINGLE PLAYER GAME, GET A LOAD OF THIS GUY

001.jpg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Was such combination actually common? If you look at codex favorites: Planescape has terrible mechanics while blobbers often had little to no story.

Planescape still has better mechanics than turds of today (dragon age, mass effect etc)
Blobbers is a different genre.

And I have not played KOTORs, but I have received the impression their mechanics are terrible as well?

No, the mechanics are ok

FeelTheRads

Arcane
RPG most likely not

"Most likely". :lol: Cool story, bro.

Died with Mass Effect is also lol. They died much earlier than that. Whatever else good that came later were just ghost hauntings. And KOTOR or other Bioturd and Obsidishit crap do not qualify.

And based on what you're asking for the thread title should be "there are no more good AAA RPGs anymore".

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
RPG most likely not

"Most likely". :lol: Cool story, bro.

Well it's a FPS, but it has RPG elements, it's not a FPS like Doom, or corridor walker like Call of duty.

Died with Mass Effect is also lol. They died much earlier than that. Whatever else good that came later were just ghost hauntings. And KOTOR or other Bioturd and Obsidishit crap do not qualify

Yea right, so Icewind dale 2 is a bad game?

And based on what you're asking for the thread title should be "there are no more good AAA RPGs anymore".

Tell me one indie of today RPG that is good like other good rpgs.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah that perfect combination of music and artstyle is quite rare these days. I'm thinking of Diablo 1 and the first act of Diablo 2, they took this to perfection. Not really RPG:s but they are still good examples.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Tell me one indie of today RPG that is good like other good rpgs.

Grimoire.

Grimoire was in the works for over 20 years by a Thal ubermensch - it does not count as indie of today as it has been in the proof of works as a concept since the times of Golden Era.

One can say that Grimoire is the last haunting of the Golden Era.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Move over to novels, you'll feel more accomplished in that culture.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom