Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Kem0sabe

Arcane
True time bending ending?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I guess. Didn't see. Maybe answer no to some question?

I thought these Jap games always had a Final save game.

Anyway, did not want to shoot targets or do the wheels of harma (I did complete 3). So it's all good.

Zep--

Kem0sabe

Arcane
After the credits and the game saves, just go to main title screen and load the game, that allows the story to continue and a bunch of shenanigans to happen, not that great story wise but interesting nonetheless, including several more boss fights.

Jinn

Arcane
Hell yeah! While I enjoy the midi tracks, at 50 hours into the game it would be really fun to switch to the orchestral tracks. Glad I still have plenty of hours of the game left to enjoy this mod with.

EDIT: Oh my god. Playing with the mod now. SOOOOO GOOOOOD!

Last edited:

Fred

Learned
One of the post game boss is brutal, in the frozen land, his normal attack one shoot my people, and he has 3 per round haha :D He's supposed to become the Cobblestone mascot ? How, what, why.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Ugh, i wish they weren't adding gook VA. This will just make incel weebs cockier, "zomg switch version is the best because it has proper dub!!!". Ugh.

Doubt it. I sure wouldn't look forward to 720p docked and inability to hold 30FPS.

Fred

Learned
I'm surprised by the effectiveness of magic in the late game. I don't remember a DQ game where late game magic was still useful, it rules the random battles (600-700 damage to all and sometime recast for free), but even against bosses it's not too far from the heavy hitters like multithrust or...the 16 MP GS hit I don't remember the name of.
I also made some test and indeed, Erik doppleganger+auto crit does nice damage (around 1200), but it still takes 2 rounds and can't be ooomphed so it can't compete vs a 1100 per round ooomphed GS hit. Perhaps a *6 hit against a sap'ed enemy would do better, but then you have to debuff first so I'm not sure it would be good enough.

Really enjoying the postgame so far !

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm surprised by the effectiveness of magic in the late game. I don't remember a DQ game where late game magic was still useful, it rules the random battles (600-700 damage to all and sometime recast for free), but even against bosses it's not too far from the heavy hitters like multithrust or...the 16 MP GS hit I don't remember the name of.
I also made some test and indeed, Erik doppleganger+auto crit does nice damage (around 1200), but it still takes 2 rounds and can't be ooomphed so it can't compete vs a 1100 per round ooomphed GS hit. Perhaps a *6 hit against a sap'ed enemy would do better, but then you have to debuff first so I'm not sure it would be good enough.

Really enjoying the postgame so far !

That's the power of having spells scale with a stat. I think they introduced that with.. DQ9? Wisdom was only used as a stat to adjust when you'd learn a particular spell (X levels less from the base level, X based on wisdom).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man the orchestral track is amazing. Oretty neat how a simply different arrangement can turn flat, kinda boring music into something that have actual . . . Weight to it. Fuck SE and sugiyama for not including them officially

polo

Magister
Whats the thing with the orchestral music? Its in the game files but they didn't used and instead used the midi repetitive boring music which i disabled? Or what?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
whZQkA5.jpg

:prosper:

Sentinel

Arcane
Whats the thing with the orchestral music? Its in the game files but they didn't used and instead used the midi repetitive boring music which i disabled? Or what?
all dragon quest games use midi/synth (depending on how far back you want to go) to replicate the NES nostalgia. What people did is grab the symphonic live performances conducted by Sugiyama himself off of youtube and mod them into the game.

polo

Magister
It sounds amazing, damn i wish i played the game with it from the start.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't click if you've not been through the Dundrasil section in part 2.

"The Luminary is restored to us, and all thanks to his honored parents." Goddam if that isn't the most Japanese line I've ever heard in a game! Delivered in Hendriks deadpan, super-serious voice it just cracked me up.

That whole section was pretty good- a little disappointed killing all the monsters in the castle didn't trigger anything, but I suppose logically it couldn't really. Managed to kill the Gloom Demon first try but with only MC and Sylv standing and both on very low HP. If Sylv's 'That's Amore' hadn't killed him we'd have wiped next turn. Had a similar fight to start the section, but needed two attempts at Gloomy Irwin.

Switched MC into Greatswords from dual wielding Falcon Blades. Vanilla attack single target DPS is much worse and crits are a lot less, but 'Cutting Edge' is so cheap I can spam that and get almost as good results. Honestly not sure if it's better really, but once the Falcon swords drop off a bit, I can't see getting another pair of 'hit twice' swords with higher dps so GS will probably be better further on.

Curratum

So glad I didn't have a CPU to run the game properly when it came out. I stopped when I first hit the church in Heliodor and now I'm resuming with proper FPS and the orchestral soundtrack! Incline ahead!

Perkel

Arcane
So i bite the bullet and bought it.
Surprisingly i have ton of fun at start.

The VO is stellar like in VIII and it seems flow better than VIII.
They reduced a lot of junk i didn't like and somehow the made it so that grinding doesn't feel that bad.
Just got out of dungeons of evil king.
I must say that graphically it looks really good. I i like how they are using midi soundtrack and it remind me a lot of DQ Builders which i liked a lot. I don't think i will go for orchestral soundtrack.

It is weird but so far it feels more like Final Fantasy IX than new FF games themselves which kind of shows how they are fucked up.

Fred

Learned
How demanding are the graphics? Does it play well on older machines?
On my i5 2500k and radeon 7850 8go ram (basically a mid tier machine from 2012) it runs perfectly if I close chrome during play (or keep a single tab). With too much tabs all the cities will slowdown a lot.

Fred

Learned
Rofl I remember doing a late game boss in less than 40 turns on the japanese version at level 60, now I'm doing it at level 91 and it took me 58 turns :o

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
ProTIP:

Save the game before fighting the final boss
Calamos, the dark star
, esp. if you have other things you want to wrap up later.

As winning the fight and then some running around in Cobblestone, it just rolls credits and then ends the game (it doesn't make a save), you cannot continue after the last fight.

Zep--

polo

Magister
I just fought
Tyriant, uh, that was a bad boss. A lot of RNG, and since u can only control de MC a boring and long fight.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Nah, he's easy. Next boss for me was much, much worse. Instead of following story i started mapping camp sites and found our flaming fag friend. What follows next was... interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom