Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Disco Elysium Developer Session at EGX 2018

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Disco Elysium; Robert Kurvitz; ZA/UM

As we reported last week, the guys from ZA/UM took Disco Elysium to the annual EGX conference in Birmingham this weekend. Since the team relocated from Estonia to the UK, Disco Elysium become quite popular with the British games journalism literati. I'll assume that explains the rather flattering title of the developer session that lead designer Robert Kurvitz and co-writer Argo Tuulik participated in yesterday. The session is hard to summarize, but basically they talked about the game and its inspirations - personal, cultural and political. There was much discussion of its unique skill system, in which skills are autonomous beings that talk to the player. Robert considers this an important evolution of the roleplaying genre, and essential to making character development feel like it matters.

The discussion is about 28 minutes long with another 10 minutes of Q&A. Robert's answer to the final question from the audience regarding the game's art direction is pretty cool. Once again, however, there's no gameplay footage in sight. Maybe they're saving it for Christmas?

No idea how the game will turn out, but I liked the interview. It sounded less cliche and stale than most (with Obsidian/Larian/etc). Sounds like they have some new ideas and approaches, which is a good thing.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Do they say why they moved to UK? Much cheaper to make games in Estonia.
Once you consider the cost of relocating talent to the fringes of civilization, you’ll reconsider that statement. If you squint your eyes very hard, “fringes” might begin to spell “frontier”.

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Do they say why they moved to UK? Much cheaper to make games in Estonia.
Once you consider the cost of relocating talent to the fringes of civilization, you’ll reconsider that statement. If you squint your eyes very hard, “fringes” might begin to spell “frontier”.
On the other blimey hand, If you drink enough ale "UK" might begin to spell "ale"...

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm absolutely sceptical about cases when someone get life experience in one place that made him a good writer or dunno - director, and then moved from that place to another, and stayed same good writer or anyone else.
Usually there people suddenly run out of talent and ends with nothing.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I have it on good authority that they were invited by Jeremy Corbyn personally to assist in the agitprop effort of the coming world revolution slated to start March 19 of next year.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have it on good authority that they were invited by Jeremy Corbyn personally to assist in the agitprop effort of the coming world revolution slated to start March 19 of next year.

Fuck, I have to get ready for my cousin’s wedding that week—the revolution will have to wait. Can you pass on a request to reschedule? I’m sure we can find a mutually agreeable time slot if we work together. Believe me, upstaging my cousin at her wedding would be a bad start. She’s terrifying. The last thing we need is to drive her into the arms of the counterrevolution.

Prime Junta

Fuck, I have to get ready for my cousin’s wedding that week—the revolution will have to wait. Can you pass on a request to reschedule? I’m sure we can find a mutually agreeable time slot if we work together. Believe me, upstaging my cousin at her wedding would be a bad start. She’s terrifying. The last thing we need is to drive her into the arms of the counterrevolution.

Typo. I meant March 29. We're all good.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Russian devs like Zaum seem to get a lot of press at Codex.

So they're in UK - what next, a visit to cathedral?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Kev Inkline I mean - that person has grown as person there and in these curcumstances. He is he because of that place, that time and that circle of people, that forming his life's experience.
And then this persone achieved success in something, and moved to another place, in pursuit of glory or something like that.
But it was this place that fueled his talent, not the other.
Usually, when people break away from their roots, all their talent is gone.
That's what I feaf about actually.
Kasparov

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom