Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs where you explore a Pyramid?

SumDrunkGuy

There's an underground pyramid in one of Dark Souls 2's DLCs. Some would argue it's the best area in the whole game.
resizedimage638358-DarkSoulsIIDLC1Review-Image2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Not good but Dungeon Siege multiplayer had a couple o Pyramids in middle o desert, and Aranna expansion had a bunch o ziggurats cos o south america-ish theme.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The pyramid of Umas from Legend of Grimrock II, puts together everything you desire for an Egyptian inspired fantasy setting: coffins, giant cobras, mummies, medusa etc. also has a pretty hostile barren desert as outskirts.

mondblut

Arcane
I think Descent to Undermountain had a totallynotegyptian-themed level?

Ravenloft 2 is obvious, it's all about pyramids.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Dragon Quest 3 has a pyramid dungeon which nullifies magic, contains traps and puzzles and a secret item that makes you get attacked every step.

Covenant

Savant
DC:SS (roguelike) has ziggurats as a late-game optional challenge; you descend through the structure fighting your way through increasingly large levels for loot and glory. There's no real aesthetic sense of being in a pyramid though, it's just a structural thing. There is a Tomb level though which is very Egyptian-themed.

Also, not a CRPG, but seeing as how Dragon Quest was mentioned above - Illusion of Gaia on the SNES had a pyramid level as well as a few similar dungeons.

Edit: Didn't see you'd already mentioned Might and Magic.

Cael

Arcane
You went to memphis in Titan Quest if I recall correctly. I don't remember too much about the Egypt section.
Multiple pyramids in Titan Quest. The Valley of the Kings has 7 of them and then there are the great pyramids at Giza together with the Sphinx.

Also, IWD2 has that Yuan-Ti temple which is basically a buried pyramid.

Hyperion

Arcane
Final Fantasy 5 - Laden with pitfalls inside. Quick sand outside. Gameplay is instantly recognizable, has a great job system to boot.

Secret of Evermore - You and your dog get separated, and have to help each other proceed to reunite, step on switches for each other to pass, find a weapon with the power to knock down certain walls, etc. Gameplay is like Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu, etc. Of note, this is Jeremy Soule's first work as a composer, and he had some help from his brother.

Shining the Holy Ark - South Temple is essentially a Pyramid, sarcophagi are treasure chests, most of which are rigged with a mummy-type enemy that sends your party flying back a square. May also contain hidden stairways to the next level. Walls block your way with a certain symbol that require a magic pickaxe. Some are destroyed, some are monsters in disguise.
You also find a stone that allows you to run through a spiral staircase, whereupon the entire dungeon needs to be traversed on the ceiling, so you can bypass certain obstructions on the ground.
Final room has a (somewhat simple) mathematics problem in order to break a seal on a Sacred Treasure.

Edit: Late addition, just remembered Persona 5. 4th dungeon is a gigantic pyramid that has you weave in and out of it, solving some puzzles along the way, avoiding boulders Indiana Jones-style, even fighting some Egyptian mythological creatures, which you can of course capture and use yourself. Like all dungeons in Persona, stealth is a mechanic for getting past, and surprising monsters.

Earthbound. You wander through a desert, and enter a subterranean pyramid through a Sphinx, by solving a puzzle. Much like Shining, treasure chests are all sarcophagi, enemies are mostly Egyptian-themed, but tongue-in-cheek. Basically Dragon Quest set in modern times in terms of gameplay.

Illusion of Gaia. SNES top-down ARPG. Historical fantasy version of Earth. You explore the actual Egyptian Pyramids. It's been so long since I played, but I do believe there is a puzzle involving a giant Condor to gain entrance inside. Other real life ancient wonders included are Angkor Wat, and The Great Wall of China. Tower of Babel is also in it I believe, as a small bonus.

Added a video clip of each game, sans earthbound (5 video limit). Alas, I couldn't find gameplay of Shining the Holy Ark without some clown talking over it. I know I hate hearing some dweeb talking over game footage, and figure most people here feel the same.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom