Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter UBOAT - WW2 submarine simulator

overtenemy

Augur
http://www.wolfpackgame.com/
This is what you want. Pray it gets released. There's been activity in September on their subsim forum, so there seems to be a chance.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I don't expect much from this Wolfpack thing. It seems it started with a VR game, then COOP, then Neal Stevens entered and is trying to work on 1 game before he retires. Since he has no experience in game development and those guys have no money, it sounds pretty unrealistic to expect a new Silent Hunter or anything.

I rather expect something like Enigma Rising Tide that is severly underbudget and full of ideas that do not work. Chances are, some people still like such games so someone will be happy.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Kickstarter backers are already posting videos of the Early Access build. I just watched this video of the tutorial and so far I like the gameplay, even if it doesn't show that much yet, but there are other videos of the sandbox mode.

I like the RPG and stats mechanics and some neat details, like for example different components generating different amounts of noise affecting your detection rates, little things like time spent without natural light or food variety affecting morale recovery, or stuff I haven't seen in sims like the sub having a searchlight or the command room's water pump being the most effective one.

Also some things I found hilarious:
- If you customize an officer to smoke a pipe and control him via first-person mode, you see the pipe at the bottom left of the screen. Hopefully eyepatches also restrict your vision.
- You can discipline sailors who fail at their duties or break. You can choose the way to punish them, which means you can outright execute your sailors for lollygagging.
- If you use divers to salvage wreckage, you can cut the cable and the sailor obviously dies. To be honest that means that getting caught by the enemy in that situation brings the dilemma of taking your time retrieving the sailor or cutting the cable and getting the fuck out, but the fact this is an actual mechanic still got a chuckle out of me.

So far I'm pleasantly surprised by what I'm seeing, considering I thought it would be just Fallout Shelter in the Atlantic when it was announced.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Definitely getting this, seems like a weird hybrid of rpg/sims/silent hunter

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Can we desert and kill Adolf here? I mean most famous German, Adolf Hitler. Firing torpedo to his ass will be magnificent. I dont wanna sound racist as 1%of German society were not nazis at all or do not benefit now of having nazi grandparents. Just imagine sailing your uboat through Danube and firing torpedoes to the boat where Adolf and Eva Braun taking romantic trip near Vienna. So im really interested in that feature as oposite to glorification of nazi war machines. What's next? Auschwitz Commander rts about managing german death camp? Nazi submarine sailors were just murderers sinking civilian vessels and freight ships mostly. There is no honour in another game of being german son of the bitch from ww2.

Burning Bridges

That you can now walk inside U-boats is super cool, this game has moved past its original goalpoasts an incredible amount.

The outside view however is still not nearly on Silent Hunter levels.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not sure how much is actually simulated here. Shooting down the plane and taking out the hangar ship looked incredible easy.

Drakron

Arcane
Not sure how much is actually simulated here. Shooting down the plane and taking out the hangar ship looked incredible easy.

Because its a tutorial and a unfinished on at that, there was no way to manually set torpedoes or use the hydrophone for example. Also I doubt that will be the game actual tutorial not because shooting planes and carriers are bad but rather because the HMS Illustrious was commissioned in 25 May 1940 (and that video shows 1939) making the game starting later that it should and its way too good of a prize for a starting campaign, its just there to show things working.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I watched some more videos and there's TDC, so it's like Silent Hunter where you can either let the crew take care of targetting and just worry about positioning and clicking the fire button when you get the greenlight, or spend ten minutes per ship manually calculating distance, speed, angle etc. via the well-known tools.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
It's great game, at last i can sink Judea Liberation Front freight ships thus work for Roman victory. You know, 100000 Judean rebels on the sea bottom… my friend Naughtius Maximus will be so happy.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

This seems to be the ideal subsim game for people who have never played subsims before. They put in a great amount of work in many areas while others are completely wrong. The weakness of their design is that they cannot buy the subsim community with pretty graphics, especially when the graphics still dont look as good as a fully modded Silent Hunter 3 or 4. The hardcore susbsimmers will either pass or get Neal Stevens latest abomination instead. They must hope to get enough arcadians to compensate.

Burning Bridges

Ah, the old problem of Silent Hunter vanilla, ships sink automatically within few seconds.

The game became so much nicer with real sinking mechanics and manual TDC input. Often you hit a ship just at the screw, making it immobile and it was still there half a day later when you came back from the convoy. I always did a sweep for stragglers and got some of my easiest kills this way.

Also it's extremely more difficult when a ship does not sink right away. Do you waste more torpedoes, wait or come back?

Graphics are not very good, especially the effects and underwater graphics look like a 5$ game. That the guy praises it so much shows only how much gaming has deteriorated in the last decade.

Otherwise I am quite surprised. For a game by Playway SA it looks ambitious, and the uboat management part has never been done before.

circuit breaker

Educated
It seems they put lots of effort into exactly the area I'm not enthusiastic about at all - u-boat interior. And those system requirements... oh well, back to GWX 3.0 Gold

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
It seems they put lots of effort into exactly the area I'm not enthusiastic about at all - u-boat interior. And those system requirements... oh well, back to GWX 3.0 Gold

GWX mod. I polish my monocle in your general direction, sir. Happy hunting, Hauptmann.

Luka-boy

Arcane
The new update adds modding support among other things :incline:

Hello!

We are back with a major update to UBOAT. It just hit the "unstable" branch for testing. You can switch to this branch by going to "beta" tab in the properties of the game on Steam.

MODDING

Main feature of this version is a full modding support. Pretty much anything should be possible to change and your imagination will hopefully be the only limit.

We will soon start to post guides on how to start modding UBOAT on the fandom wiki and in Steam articles section. Please post your feedback and if there is anything missing we will be happy to improve.

70f28bbde1fe75e5eb62d86ab354932e0722a0ae.png

Along with that we release the first two official mods:

Our mods are meant as modding examples and resources and some of them may eventually be integrated into the main game.

Note: While this version remains on the testing branch, Steam Workshop is going to be hidden. Please join this group on Steam to gain access to it.

IMMERSIVE START

Immersive start feature from the roadmap is now complete. When starting a new game you can select a starting scenario for the campaign, which influences many things in the game, especially starting u-boat, crew and date.

If you would like to say goodbye to the old crew, they will be sticking in the tutorial scenario until its removal next quarter.

03252bf9f05e9fbd6d0f74258394da94992fb5b7.png

NEW SHIPS

This version introduces two new ships.

Kirov-class cruisers
Russian fleet enters UBOAT without compromises.

c279a84ed9f2dbb7f77496072d9d3fef4424edfe.png

C3 freighters
These are one of the largest American-made freighters.

f43030e405888281a231e33279a92a186d88bb90.png

GAME LAUNCHER

Since this version UBOAT has a launcher application. It features a built-in mod manager and a news section that will let us communicate certain things better.

42a656e52f0c16d888f1c269ab26f0ddbdd18107.png

IN-GAME SETTINGS

It's a common request that is now in the game. It's no longer necessary to adjust them in the main menu.

GRAPHICS UPGRADES

There were many visual upgrades both small and large to the u-boat interior and exterior and the main menu. We encourage you to take a look around and see, if you can notice the changes.

39f4012c284f0bb9a402fb003ac76d32e73b521f.png

IRON SIGHTS AND RECOIL REWORK

Iron sights were an often requested feature and we managed to implement it in this version for all guns in the game. There are also major recoil and animation upgrades related to guns. Please check that out in the game and let us know what you think.

f31fe6eb13011e80c4b25e3e479e0891ae17559e.gif

METERS

We continued to work on improving FPP experience by programming useful meters and devices on board:

- Papenberg gauge and inclinometer are now functional and add a few points to the immersion.

51948f7c38000b807420732c3c39f0931a52ca9f.png

- Echosounder texture was created from the scratch with a much better resolution to make the results readable directly in the scene.

ceeff350b70a3cfd55bffd64f0fe7a61588a7071.png

- Missing engine RPM meters on the starboard were added.
- All other meters on board had their display resolution increased for a better look and readability. There were also a few corrections on their scales.

8776487a89a4082bfb421be65ef79e8e5b8d483a.png

BUG FIXES AND OTHER CHANGES

While this version just hit the testing branch and may introduce a few bugs related to the new features, there are many fixes to the existing game base. Most notable fixes include:

- Sailors assigned to an officer would sometimes ignore orders while manning AA guns on the upgraded conning towers.
- Fixes to clipping of certain cloth combinations.
- Indicated depth under cursor on the map is much more precise and consistent. It should be much easier to navigate near Bergen with this upgrade.
- Characters no longer levitate above beds during certain animations.
- Recruitment officer no longer ignores your officers and doesn't instantly look away.
- Important AI fixes for coastal areas.

WHAT'S NEXT

For the rest of this quarter we will be focusing on the remaining work from the roadmap, bug fixes and supporting the modders. We probably won't be adding extra things like in this update.

Just to remind you, mission overhaul and evacuation from the roadmap are planned for this quarter. We think we will finish them in time, but in case of a delay we will keep you updated.

Yours,
Deep Water Studio

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom