Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
All Adventure Paths are 6 act big things.

And the question who picked the module or what features they wanted, developers or Paizo, do we really know?

Shadenuat

Arcane
The problem with these kinds of things is always how the two systems interact and complement each other. It's kinda like the ship fighting PoE2, it's so totally divorced from everything else you do in terms of gameplay that it feels shoehorned in for no reason.
The module is called Kingmaker. It has kingmaking mechanics, events, etc.
Building Kingdom kinda fits the theme don't you think.

If you'll find it boring you could probably just revert to BG1 murderhoboing that game has a lot of.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
All Adventure Paths are 6 act big things.

And the question who picked the module or what features they wanted, developers or Paizo, do we really know?

I don't think it has ever been stated, but I would assume Paizo.

I would guess they wanted Kingmaker as it's a fairly generic introduction to the world of Golarion. A lot of the other Adventure Paths take place in quite strange locales, maybe they thought people weren't "ready" for that yet?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I really don't get why they had to try and squeeze in a whole city builder when they're trying to make their very first old school RPG. If they pull it off, great, but why bite off more than anyone asked of them?

Overambitiousness of these projects is why Blackguards is still the no. 1 RPG of the decade :smug:

Shadenuat

Arcane
For me following everything by the book & faithfully adapting PNP module and all of its baggage into the game is the biggest selling point. Cause enough innovashun.

I would guess they wanted Kingmaker as it's a fairly generic introduction to the world of Golarion
I'm 95% sure that's correct.

Somewhat of a shame since Golarion does have some cool places but standard forests with baldursgate1 bandits are a safer bet.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The module is called Kingmaker. It has kingmaking mechanics, events, etc.
Building Kingdom kinda fits the theme don't you think.

If you'll find it boring you could probably just revert to BG1 murderhoboing that game has a lot of.

I am aware of that, but that doesn't mean they should've forced base-building mechanics. Those could've been relegated to dialogue choices alla NWN2. See, I have this allergy to extraneous and vestigial things in games (and not only) and I get triggered when something doesn't make sense, especially gameplay-wise, so I'm extra sensitive to these things. I keep thinking what else they could've spent that budget on that wouldn't have been so disconnected from the rest of the game. Hence my apprehension of PoE2's ship battles as well.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Again, they did not force anything of their own as much as just followed original source material to the letter. All the mechanics, BPs, and even stats for brothels are from there.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Again, they did not force anything of their own as much as just followed original source material to the letter. All the mechanics, BPs, and even stats for brothels are from there.

Ok, but that doesn't really let them off the hook or excuse the design, even if that design came from the module itself. They could've chosen a different module, dropped the base-building or converted it to something more in-line with the rest of the game. We'll see whether I'll have the desire to even engage with this base-building mechanic, I hope it's not mandatory.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh I am sure the crunch is real and we're for a treat in that respect. I wonder if on release later acts would be even playable. Of that I have no fabulous optimisms.

They could've chosen a different module
see Tacgon answers above

I am not sure why you're so bothered with this though. Again, the whole thing is about you ruling lands and making your own barony and kingdom. It's not about your forgotten past and souls n shit, where they added fortress because "that's what RPG players expect".

Lacrymas

Arcane
Oh, the safest bet is to always assume it's an unplayable wreck on release and wait months for patches. You get the best possible product at the end and you aren't even frustrated with the shit launch. Win-win.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Safe is for casuals though. The real codexer plays game 7 times, after d1p, and rages furiously on developers FARGO DID IT AGAIN etc.

This is the correct way.

I already prepared my rage pills and spare keyboard to throw away.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Whaaaaaa you mean a game called Kingmaker involves making an actual kingdom????

You guise might want to try Neverwinter Nights: Kingmaker to get your fill of traditional killing-monsters-to-become-king.

Parabalus

Arcane
Looks pretty good, seems they gave it a lot of though. Would be nice to finally have an excellent base/stronghold mechanic in an RPG, instead of just passable/goodish.

The problem with these kinds of things is always how the two systems interact and complement each other. It's kinda like the ship fighting PoE2, it's so totally divorced from everything else you do in terms of gameplay that it feels shoehorned in for no reason.

The ship fighting game is boring, and was even bugged/retarded by design to not influence the battle once you boarded.
If one of these were fixed it'd be alright.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's not just that, Kingmaker is also by far the most popular Adventure Path and the one with the most immediately enticing premise.

Dunno why though, the concept is cool but its execution is so-so. A lot other adventure paths that are stronger

Tigranes

Arcane
The kingdom builder was their selling poit, it differentiates them from the all othr CRPGs

Yes, but if I wanted a "Real old school Baldurs's Gate successor unlike that Pillars of Eternity gosh darnit", then I would say that my chances of getting quality on that front diminishes when this new studio tries to also deliver a whole kingdom building city sim thingie on top.

I'm not saying this will doom them for sure, that'd be stupid. I'd love for them to blow other recent RPGs out of the water and I'd love to see the first interesting, extensive stronghold mechanic in an RPG since Crossroads Keep. But as Lacrymas says, adding on a whole new gameplay system distinct from your core gameplay is asking for trouble.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Didn’t you like Spellforce?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom