Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
BG only had slightly gay forced humor, Larian games are nothing but forced gay randumb humor.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So far they haven't seemed interested in forcing any dev to use any edition,
Sword Coast legends says otherwise.
and seem to prefer devs using made-up editions.
Adaptations of existing editions, or as in case of stuff like Knights of the Chalice and Realms Beyond, the open licenses which don't need you to partner up with WoTC.
but if it is I can't be the only that is sure this will not be any edition of D&D?
Gotta wait and see, I suppose.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If you want an image of the future of RPGs, imagine the Baldur's Gate novelization turned into a game by Beamdog and published by EA... with a new iteration each year. Forever.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Sword Coast legends says otherwise.
Adaptations of existing editions, or as in case of stuff like Knights of the Chalice and Realms Beyond, the open licenses which don't need you to partner up with WoTC.

SCL says exactly what I'm saying and proves my point 100%. It had no edition. Sure, it claimed it was an edition but had no relation at all to it. And did WotC demand they call it that edition? If so, why not demand they actually use something resembling that edition?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I would love if Larian got a chance to make a TB BG3.

Also if this is true, it would explain why Beamdog was cut off from new D&D games and then Gaider left.

DraQ

Arcane
BG only had slightly gay forced humor, Larian games are nothing but forced gay randumb humor.
I rated your post :butthurt: because you said "gay" so it is funny, you see.

Also, humour in Dvinity 2 (both base and expansion) was fucking stellar, and even terribad (in terms of anything writing related, although I guess we all remember the original cheese vendor fondly) DOS1 made me laugh once (earth statue joke was pretty good).

Meanwhile, whenever Bioware attempts humour the result is an embarrassment, and it's not like the rest of their writing has ever been anything to write home about.

DraQ

Arcane
then Gaider left.
Obviously, we have found a solution to Larian's writing.
Hire Gaider and then fire him?
thinking.png

Not sure how it would fix anything.

Yosharian

Arcane
Jan: So Viconia, I suppose you must be a drow, eh?

Viconia: Speak not to your betters, surface slave.

Jan: My brother, Elgar Buttercup, had skin the shade of charcoal, too. Well, technically it WAS charcoal. He died in a nasty fire, you see.

Viconia: You do love the sound of your own voice, don't you gnome?

Jan: My own voice? Heartless wench! Do you not know? I am deaf. I have never heard the sound of my own voice. I read lips... (sob)... only lips...

Viconia: Deaf? Truly? In the Underdark the deaf are killed or used in pain threshold experiments.

Jan: I heard that! In fact, it reminds me of the time I was eaten by an avatar of Lolth. I was stuck inside her stomach with a miserable drow called Biffle Chump for days. Of course, I was forced to eat him. A matter of survival, you understand. Nothing personal. He tasted a bit like chicken.

Viconia: [to Protagonist] How is it that you travel with such a wee buffoon?

Protagonist: Truthfully, it all goes back to the time that Jan's cousin, Plooty Paladin-piper, got caught in a nasty flesh golem eating contest...

Jan: Aye, Plooty had a way of attracting golems. Brilliant, really. You start with a saucer of milk - golems are suckers for milk...

Viconia: I refuse to listen to this.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Still better than anything Larian has ever shat out...
Jan: So Viconia, I suppose you must be a drow, eh?

Viconia: Speak not to your betters, surface slave.

Jan: My brother, Elgar Buttercup, had skin the shade of charcoal, too. Well, technically it WAS charcoal. He died in a nasty fire, you see.

Viconia: You do love the sound of your own voice, don't you gnome?

Jan: My own voice? Heartless wench! Do you not know? I am deaf. I have never heard the sound of my own voice. I read lips... (sob)... only lips...

Viconia: Deaf? Truly? In the Underdark the deaf are killed or used in pain threshold experiments.

Jan: I heard that! In fact, it reminds me of the time I was eaten by an avatar of Lolth. I was stuck inside her stomach with a miserable drow called Biffle Chump for days. Of course, I was forced to eat him. A matter of survival, you understand. Nothing personal. He tasted a bit like chicken.

Viconia: [to Protagonist] How is it that you travel with such a wee buffoon?

Protagonist: Truthfully, it all goes back to the time that Jan's cousin, Plooty Paladin-piper, got caught in a nasty flesh golem eating contest...

Jan: Aye, Plooty had a way of attracting golems. Brilliant, really. You start with a saucer of milk - golems are suckers for milk...

Viconia: I refuse to listen to this.

Tigranes

Arcane
If we're going for cheesy campy hurr hurr, then yes, it's funnier than anything Larian has ever written, since most Larianjokes are actively offensive to the humours.

Sizzle

Arcane
If we're going for cheesy campy hurr hurr, then yes, it's funnier than anything Larian has ever written, since most Larianjokes are actively offensive to the humours.

It's at least amusing. Humor isn't that easy to write, and for many game development studios today, it just defaults to trying to do something snarky (aka - Joss Whedonesque).

Here's what we get when modern writers try to replicate BG banters without understanding this:

banter.jpg

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Not only is that writing awful judged on its own, it becomes even worse when you consider that this is part of a Baldur's Gate game. Completely out of place. It's like they didn't bother to figure out how the original writers inserted humor into the original games in order to replicate that and just decided to go with their own (inferior) thing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
OTOH BW also made Minsc.
Jan is Gaider's, Minsc is Kristjanson's. :P

Faulty memory, Kristjanson wrote both. For posterity, Gaider's contributions to BG2

The only follower I created myself was Valygar (up until the point I stepped in to write him, all we knew about him was that he was supposed to be a ranger). The other ones all had at least some writing done and I picked up where the other writers had left off and ran with it. We ended up writing a lot of each others’ stuff on this project, but the characters I had primary responsibility for were:

• Viconia
  • Aerie
  • Anomen
  • Valygar
  • Haer’Dalis
My memory’s a bit hazy, but I seem to remember writing a lot of Korgan and Keldorn, so it’s possible they were mine as well. Or they could have been Kevin Martens’ and I just wrote a big chunk of them later on. I have unclear memories of writing much of Athkatla and the Drow city in the Underdark— gosh, that’s a long time ago.

When we moved onto the Throne of Bhaal expansion, the characters for which we were responsible remained the same… with the only exception being Sarevok, who I ended up also writing.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Just because Gaider did some good writing way back when doesn't mean he's still a good writer, and all evidence points to him not having a clue any more. He's an old codger who hasn't written anything decent in a long time.

A little reminder:

Gaider wrote for Dragon Age II, where he had a major contribution to the plot, creating the characters Cassandra Pentaghast, Fenris, and Meredith

In any case, as much as I adore Viconia, I'd be the first to admit that she's not a very well-written character. It's less than she's well-written, and more that it's simply refreshing to have a character, and love interest, that doesn't fall in love with you in the very first conversation, and actually challenges the you in conversations. Viconia couldn't exist in a modern RPG because she'd be too 'problematic'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom