Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Control: Origins - Star Control reboot from Stardock

Serus

Arcane
Patron
if this game is an rpg then im an alien. but i dont giva fuck about it anyway... crap. i wanted to like this game.... nostalgia is hitting hard. .maybe i just need to play it more
Just play SC2 again. I am. Fuck this shit by an asshole fraudster.
The problem with replaying SC2 is that despite the game being really well done it's not that great when it comes to replay value. The second time you know where every race is, you know what is supposed to be done, etc... This is a story-driven game with interesting exploration - but the story is for the most part linear and exploration has zero random element to it. Humour is still there but that's about it. Don't get me wrong, SC2 is a brilliant game, I loved it, I still think it's brilliant but it doesn't have a strong replay value in my opinion, I discovered that to be true a few years ago when replaying it first time since the 90s.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
The game is fairly playable so far, quite similar to SC2. Which is a problem for me since I could never get into SC2, the gameplay just is not my thing. But I'll try to skip the mineral grinding as frogboy suggested and see if it improves. Playing on Easy.

pros:
-music could be worse
-writing could be worse
-exploration feeling pretty good so far

cons:
-writing still pretty amateurish and overwrought, not nearly as good as SC2
-mediocre VA
-lame mineral grinding core gameplay
-hard to aim your ship at correct world, end up focusing on a moon instead of planet
-plenty of typos
-bad performance and loading times
-can't save or even open menu when on a world or in dialogue
-world map pretty mediocre: can't write notes, can't even mark visited worlds
-afaik you can never zoom to see the whole system until you leave the system. You only see a small part around your ship. Was it like that in SC2? If so they should def have changed it.

Overall... 3/5

Cael

Arcane
if this game is an rpg then im an alien. but i dont giva fuck about it anyway... crap. i wanted to like this game.... nostalgia is hitting hard. .maybe i just need to play it more
Just play SC2 again. I am. Fuck this shit by an asshole fraudster.
The problem with replaying SC2 is that despite the game being really well done it's not that great when it comes to replay value. The second time you know where every race is, you know what is supposed to be done, etc... This is a story-driven game with interesting exploration - but the story is for the most part linear and exploration has zero random element to it. Humour is still there but that's about it. Don't get me wrong, SC2 is a brilliant game, I loved it, I still think it's brilliant but it doesn't have a strong replay value in my opinion, I discovered that to be true a few years ago when replaying it first time since the 90s.
Still better than giving money to this fraud and getting what is shaping up to be a pretty shitty offering.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
God I hope I can genocide the slugs at some point. Who thought it would be a good idea to have a sidekick that comments on everything you do and is literally defined by being creepy, lame and retarded?...Stardock...

Naraya

Arcane
-bad performance and loading times
It's really baffling why so many games have this problem recently. I thought it was mainly because of Unity but BT4 is made in Unreal... How about SC:O, anyone knows?

It seems nobody optimizes stuff anymore these days :(

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Optimization costs money and isn't exactly a selling point. Sure, some might refund but I assume not enough to put a serious dent.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You're playing the game wrong if you are grinding resources 1-5 RU at a time. You get way more from quests and exploration
That's kinda weird because killing enemy ships gives you 100-200 RU, missions not that more, while clearing 2 star systems worth of resources would already allow you to install 2d tier nuclear missiles for 5k RU.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
You're playing the game wrong if you are grinding resources 1-5 RU at a time. You get way more from quests and exploration
That's kinda weird because killing enemy ships gives you 100-200 RU, missions not that more, while clearing 2 star systems worth of resources would already allow you to install 2d tier nuclear missiles for 5k RU.

Also it's faster than doing missions which most of them send you on the other side of the fucking galaxy only to tell you that you need to go back from where you came from and fetch some crap from them, geee that sounds so much better especially when your ships handles like a 80yo woman with cerebral palsy. 40$ for this crap is highway robbery.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Within 5 minutes you're going explore solar system and get lazor, not much more.

You get some shit from missions sure, but side missions are also scattered around the universe, and most players would tend to try and upgrade before going to fight huge evil empire.

Again to remember Space Rangers, where things like missions, trade and quests were systemic and you had multiple pathways through the game from the start. That's how you guide players in the world.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Within 5 minutes you're going explore solar system and get lazor, not much more.
Go to Ceres and win both training battles, get advanced nuke and pd laser free. It's even on the way to Titan if you follow the quest arrow. Literally five minutes from starting.
You get some shit from missions sure, but side missions are also scattered around the universe, and most players would tend to try and upgrade before going to fight huge evil empire.
Why are you rushing straight into danger? Most of the time, you only have to fight the empire if you enter their territory. Otherwise you only have to fend off pirates and bounty hunters, and can explore the sector.

Explore what exactly, even the dev said that 90% of the planets are pure trash content and you shouldnt waste your time on them, so what's left to explore? The empty space with maybe 1 quest every other 50 planets and the same trash mobs again and again ?

T. Reich

Arcane
Explore what exactly, even the dev said that 90% of the planets are pure trash content and you shouldnt waste your time on them, so what's left to explore? The empty space with maybe 1 quest every other 50 planets and the same trash mobs again and again ?

So, basically exactly just like in UQM?
:M

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't you know? 'Exploration' means 'the streets are paved with lollipops'. Everywhere you look, you're supposed to get a lollipop. Games that actually use negative space to make finding something a meaningful event are doing it wrong.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Didn't you know? 'Exploration' means 'the streets are paved with lollipops'. Everywhere you look, you're supposed to get a lollipop. Games that actually use negative space to make finding something a meaningful event are doing it wrong.
The problem might be with actual streets, not lollipops.

Alpharius

Scholar
80% tedious resource grinding.

You're playing the game wrong if you are grinding resources 1-5 RU at a time. You get way more from quests and exploration.

Thats all well and good but the quest objectives are either fed ex, grind x minerals\money to progress or kill some dude. Which is unsurprising, since there isn't actually anything else you can do in this game apart from flying around scanning planets, resource grinding and brainless arcade combat. Same with exploration, you might find a new lazor or lander upgrade but the core gameplay is still gonna be absolute shit, so whats the point?

It is inconcivable how the devs thought anyone would want to play this.

I rate it 0 Space Rangers out of 10. Hell, playing minesweeper is more entertaining.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

You're playing the game wrong if you are grinding resources 1-5 RU at a time. You get way more from quests and exploration.

I have received zero RUs from all the starting missions. Nada. These quotes are very baffling. I've done several missions and the reward was pointing me to a "rich" planet that had about double the value of resources of a normal planet.... How is this optional? Seems like the main source of income to me.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

I have received zero RUs from all the starting missions. Nada. These quotes are very baffling. I've done several missions and the reward was pointing me to a "rich" planet that had about double the value of resources of a normal planet.... How is this optional? Seems like the main source of income to me.

It's not, go on steam to see how many reviewers complain about this, most missions end up sending you somewhere to collect your reward and most of the times they are eons away from you which end up being as bad as grinding. They copied a game from 30 years ago, slaped some better graphics and called it a day, there's nothing in this game that you didnt get in SC 2, hell it's even more streamlined. I mean SC 2 was great for it's time, but it was still a very repetitive game and to just copy it and not add anything else beside the core game, it was a very stupid move, not every oldie but goldie transition that well in this day and age without adding a little more meat to it's core, right now it feels like a vegan sandwhich.

It's a shallow mess, void of any meaningful content and they should be ashamed for asking 40$.

T. Reich

Arcane
Thats all well and good but the quest objectives are either fed ex, grind x minerals\money to progress or kill some dude. Which is unsurprising, since there isn't actually anything else you can do in this game apart from flying around scanning planets, resource grinding and brainless arcade combat. Same with exploration, you might find a new lazor or lander upgrade but the core gameplay is still gonna be absolute shit, so whats the point?

I rate it 0 Space Rangers out of 10. Hell, playing minesweeper is more entertaining.

Let's refer to UQM walkthrough and see what kind of missions this great game had in store for us:
Gaining allies section:
(most of there are optional due to the nature of the game, and are also usually not given as a direct quests but rather as hints)
(note that "fetch" here mostly means getting to the target system which may constitute a "grind" challenge by itself due to having fuel + gearing requirements to not die on the way there and back)
(also note that some sub-qeusts require more than one condition to succeed)
fetch - +++++++++++++++
kill - ++++
grind - +
other - + (Tanaka)
Wow, the game about exploration requires you to go places to complete main objectives? INCONCEIVABLE!
Collecting devices section:
fetch - ++++
kill - ++
grind - +
other - ++
Well, at least here we get a healthy mixture of just finding mission-critical shit, fighting for it with others, buying it with other shit, or actually possibly getting it as a consequence of our actions elswehere.
Other sections:
fetch - +
kill - +
grind - ++
other - ++

In the end, UQM is mostly about:
1) free-form exploration (anyone surprised?).
2) occasional combat to spice up the travel in hyperspace and system exploration.
3) extensive resource gathering during system exploration, which is required to survive combat and to expand exploration.

Alpharius Are you sure you played UQM at all?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Let's refer to UQM walkthrough and see what kind of missions this great game had in store for us:
Gaining allies section:
(most of there are optional due to the nature of the game, and are also usually not given as a direct quests but rather as hints)
(note that "fetch" here mostly means getting to the target system which may constitute a "grind" challenge by itself due to having fuel + gearing requirements to not die on the way there and back)
(also note that some sub-qeusts require more than one condition to succeed)
fetch - +++++++++++++++
kill - ++++
grind - +
other - + (Tanaka)
Wow, the game about exploration requires you to go places to complete main objectives? INCONCEIVABLE!
Collecting devices section:
fetch - ++++
kill - ++
grind - +
other - ++
Well, at least here we get a healthy mixture of just finding mission-critical shit, fighting for it with others, buying it with other shit, or actually possibly getting it as a consequence of our actions elswehere.
Other sections:
fetch - +
kill - +
grind - ++
other - ++

In the end, UQM is mostly about:
1) free-form exploration (anyone surprised?).
2) occasional combat to spice up the travel in hyperspace and system exploration.
3) extensive resource gathering during system exploration, which is required to survive combat and to expand exploration.

That was 30 years ago, there were still some limitations in what they could do , but what would be the excuse in this day and age? I mean, the game is even more shallow and streamlined to the point where the devs tell you skip everything and just do the story missions, which are basically as bad as grinding for minerals. Hell the game is 10-12 hours short, what are you paying 40$ for, some cheesy voice acting and lame cutscenes, give me a break.

Cael

Arcane

It's not, go on steam to see how many reviewers complain about this, most missions end up sending you somewhere to collect your reward and most of the times they are eons away from you which end up being as bad as grinding. They copied a game from 30 years ago, slaped some better graphics and called it a day, there's nothing in this game that you didnt get in SC 2, hell it's even more streamlined. I mean SC 2 was great for it's time, but it was still a very repetitive game and to just copy it and not add anything else beside the core game, it was a very stupid move, not every oldie but goldie transition that well in this day and age without adding a little more meat to it's core, right now it feels like a vegan sandwhich.

It's a shallow mess, void of any meaningful content and they should be ashamed for asking 40$.
Isn't it funny that people are playing the game and saying how crap it is, but the stardick-gobbling fanbois just can't handle the criticism and goes straight into attack mode. Everything from trying to divert attention by claiming SC2 wasn't as good as people thought to outright attacking the competence of the reviewer.

It is as if they were paid to attack any negative review in the most virulent, hate-filled way possible by a known criminal fraudster. Al Capone and Jimmy Hoffa would be so proud of the asshole.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Isn't it funny that people are playing the game and saying how crap it is, but the stardick-gobbling fanbois just can't handle the criticism and goes straight into attack mode. Everything from trying to divert attention by claiming SC2 wasn't as good as people thought to outright attacking the competence of the reviewer.

It is as if they were paid to attack any negative review in the most virulent, hate-filled way possible by a known criminal fraudster. Al Capone and Jimmy Hoffa would be so proud of the asshole.

Eh fuck'em, the steam score is going down by the day and rightfully so, in a couple of days it will end up being mixed and people will realise what a pile of shit this game really is. Hell, you have devs on the steam forum telling people to skip a large part of the game and just do the story missions, I mean how bad can your game be if you are telling people to avoid everything and do the tedious story missions:lol:.

Cael

Arcane

Eh fuck'em, the steam score is going down by the day and rightfully so, in a couple of days it will end up being mixed and people will realise what a pile of shit this game really is. Hell, you have devs on the steam forum telling people to skip a large part of the game and just do the story missions, I mean how bad can your game be if you are telling people to avoid everything and do the tedious story missions:lol:.
If the devs themselves are doing it, I can't imagine their boss, the asshole criminal fraudster, would be too happy. I wonder what he did to make them rebel en massed like that? Being himself, probably.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

If the devs themselves are doing it, I can't imagine their boss, the asshole criminal fraudster, would be too happy. I wonder what he did to make them rebel en massed like that? Being himself, probably.

Here's the thread https://steamcommunity.com/app/271260/discussions/1/1733213724896075091/ where Brad Wardell himself is telling people to avoid 99% of the planets and just do missions like they aren't as bad as landing on planets and farm like a peasant. It's so sad seeing him defend the game left and right, but not 40$ sad:lol:

Alpharius

Scholar
I didn't play it. Thats why i don't really care if the 30 years old game was better or worse than this (though it must have been way better if people remember it to this day). Only that this game is absolute shit and i wasted 10 gb of bandwidth and several hours of my weekend on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom