Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guilt of not finishing.

Keshik

Arcane
Generally I try to finish a game off unless it's really horrible or buggy. This thread reminded me of my failure to complete Ground Control and HOMM 3, so should get on that, gave those up due to being distracted by other games, heh. Well that and I suck terribly at GC.

Only game I've never finished is and feel 'guilty' is Final Fantasy V (just got bored), lost my save files and the idea of replaying the whole 1st world makes me wanna puke. I'm considering to try virgin GBA port instead of SNES one because of its value added but is it a good excuse?

Alchemist

Arcane
Nice thread necro... :necro:

Life's too short to feel guilt about not finishing a game. If I'm not enjoying it there's no point to going on with it. When I had tons of time in younger days I finished almost everything but now I'm too old and busy to worry about it. I only feel guilty anymore about wasting time surfing the internet when I should be gaming (like right now).

Only game I've never finished is and feel 'guilty' is Final Fantasy V (just got bored), lost my save files and the idea of replaying the whole 1st world makes me wanna puke. I'm considering to try virgin GBA port instead of SNES one because of its value added but is it a good excuse?

Just keep a finger on the turbo button during dialogues and random battles. If you already know everything about the first world, you'll get past it quickly. FF5 isn't a very long game. The GBA port added some stuff like portraits during dialogue and new classes, but they implemented the latter in the most fucktarded way possible (the new jobs are only available minutes before the final optional dungeon, so you can't really enjoy them). A hack fixes that, if you're interested.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There is more games (even if only best/good one) than my time to play all that stuff.
So... no.

Just keep a finger on the turbo button during dialogues and random battles.

Done it when played FFV last time with lots of grinding, 40 lvl and mastered at least 3-4 jobs per character, all in vein :/
BTW is there a way to increase turbo speed in Visual Boy Advance emulator? It's several times slower than Snes9x' one.
Thanx for hack link anyway.

On the topic - in past there was strong motivation to finish game because of ending (or multiple endings), now such things are easily available via youtube and no one gives a fuck.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
How about the Annoyance of Actually Finishing?

There are some games which seem great till mid-game, and if you had stopped there, you'd have fond memories of the game. More than that, you enjoy the game for the struggle towards the next point, rather than the next point.

Then you arrive at the really forced, rushed, and unimpressive finale, followed by a crappy ending, and no longer is there the feeling of enjoying the struggle to the next point. And now you'll only remember that as another mediocre game you finished.

Am I the only one who wishes he played games slower and took his time to savour them while they were still good?

If I had only played Shadowrun Returns to the point of the Renraku Corporate Headquarters infiltration, I would have stopped playing the game while it was still peaking. But the shockingly abysmal finale and the utterly uninteresting ending really killed it. Same with Far Cry. If I had played Far Cry super slow till the point the mutants showed up, I'd have a much higher opinion of the game. The best example would be Torment, which I wish I never finished and with which I wish I only made as far as Ravel's Maze. Because Curst and Carceri are as bad as the mediocre sections of any BioWare game.

How about the Annoyance of Actually Finishing?

There are some games which seem great till mid-game, and if you had stopped there, you'd have fond memories of the game. More than that, you enjoy the game for the struggle towards the next point, rather than the next point.

Then you arrive at the really forced, rushed, and unimpressive finale, followed by a crappy ending, and no longer is there the feeling of enjoying the struggle to the next point. And now you'll only remember that as another mediocre game you finished.

Definately Crysis 1 - first half was more than decent, had open landscape, multiple ways to finish mission like stealth, run'n'gun etc. just smelled like one of few good fpp shooters in the dark times of this genre...

... until that fukken alien mothership arrived and u have to kill flying octopussies. It was like spitting in da face.

Micmu

Magister
I always finish almost all games, even if they happen to be shit and I started them.
Except if they're unplayable or beyond utter shit.

Lots of consoletards ITT btw.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I never finished FF5 either, because it gets boring as hell. At least it is still better than the shit after FF7.

I haven't finished Planescape:Torment and the IWD games, mainly because I fucking played the shit out of BG 1&2 and can't get myself to play IE stuff anymore. Same with NWN2, played the hell out of the OC, but by the time expansions came out I could barely finish MotB before shelving the game with SoZ left untouched.

Haven't finished OWB or LR for FO:NV yet. Stopped playing after putting over 1000 hours into the game and just can't summon the will to touch it again.

I haven't finished most of the old games I bought off GoG because I find the old interfaces annoying as hell. The games are not as good as I was hoping even if they tried to treat the player as intelligent and creative.

I never finished Twitcher because of the boring as fuck click combat.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent scared me too much to finish.

First game I ever bought was Ninja Gaiden, but I never finished it because of the damn difficulty.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
For all the superflous bullshit I buy it doesn't bother me at all. When I don't finish a game that's really my style though, for whatever reason, it does bug me. I recently dropped Jade Empire for example and even though I had good reasons (small areas, shitty combat) it still bugs me I didn't finish an RPG set in fantasy Asia.

Machocruz

Arcane
Most games run out of steam after 15-20 hours. No more challenges or mechanics are introduced at that point.

And some just turn kind of shitty. I never finished Thief Gold because Escape! bores me to tears. But I got plenty of top tier game before that, so I'm satisfied.

For all the superflous bullshit I buy it doesn't bother me at all. When I don't finish a game that's really my style though, for whatever reason, it does bug me. I recently dropped Jade Empire for example and even though I had good reasons (small areas, shitty combat) it still bugs me I didn't finish an RPG set in fantasy Asia.

Well, there's this. Sounds like pure fucking pain to me, but you might like it.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...d-apple-e-commodore-64-party-based-rpg.27119/

argan

Augur
I usually leave them on my "to do"-list...but the one game I used a walkthrough was Gabriel Knight. Fuck me, that game was good, but so damn hard.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never finished Alone in the Dark 5, it was such a shitty game that I regret even installing it.
Other than that, I complete them, even though they tend to be boring or have horrible endgame (NWN 2 original campaign,argh!).

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
To the untrained eye ego-climbing and selfless climbing may appear identical. Both kinds of climbers place one foot in front of the other. Both breathe in and out at the same rate. Both stop when tired. Both go forward when rested. But what a difference! The ego-climber is like an instrument that's out of adjustment. He puts his foot down an instant too soon or too late. He's likely to miss a beautiful passage of sunlight through the trees. He goes on when the sloppiness of his step shows he's tired. He rests at odd times. He looks up the trail trying to see what's ahead even when he knows what's ahead because he just looked a second before. He goes too fast or too slow for the conditions and when he talks his talk is forever about somewhere else, something else. He's here but he's not here. He rejects the here, is unhappy with it, wants to be farther up the trail but when he gets there will be just as unhappy because then it will be "here." What he's looking for, what he wants, is all around him, but he doesn't want that because it is all around him. Every step's an effort, both physically and spiritually, because he imagines his goal to be external and distant.

I can't say I always succeed, but I try to to just enjoy the moment-to-moment time of playing a game and not worry about whether I am going to "finish". Games are finished when I'm finished with them!

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have trouble abandoning a game I already have put much time into, even if it isn't fun anymore. Thats particularly annoying with RPGs which are usually huge, so if I am 40 hours in, I have already invested so much time and energy that I feel like I have to get it over with, even if there are 40 more hours waiting. In extreme cases, I used to simply delete all save games as a last ditch effort because I'm sure as hell not gonna replay that crap. But it does leave a little tiny speck of guilt that says 'oh, I remember that game I never finished' .

That being said, I sometimes take prolonged breaks from games for various reasons (even games I like) and it can lead to a situation where I effectively forget that I have that game, until I might rediscover it and hopefully eventually finish. Sometimes that can be years later. And there are games I've had on my hard drive for years I keep telling myself I will eventually get around finishing. They are like simmering wounds in the back of my mind.

All this seems a bit neurotic and I do not quite understand the psychology behind it.

Edit: wow, didn't see how old this thread was.

Falksi

Arcane
I just play until I'm fed up with them, finished 6 times over or not finished at all.

The only game I forced myself to finish was Dragon Age 2, simply because I enjoyed the first & thought it must come good as some point.

What a fucking stupid decision that was.

Max Damage

Savant
Life is short, no point in playing past the point where you're not entertained anymore. I just close the game and play something else, video games aren't duty or obligations.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If I like a game, I will find a way even if I have to cheat, I have a bigger problem with boredom, most games when the developers stop adding new mechanics and encounters with the inevitable repetition of the second half starting, the boredom level keeps growing and only a game with a really good story manages to keep me interested to see the end. Generally I have my fill halfway through a RPG, only if I'm intrigued by the world, is that I keep going.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom