Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

V_K

Arcane
Vancian magic is dumb as hell in the first place.
That was kinda the point I was making tbh.
But many of the same people that bash BT's limited skill selection, praise Vancian magic to high heavens. Which makes no sense as it has exactly the same downsides.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wizardry 1-4, Might and Magic 1 and 2, and every 80s video game non PnP RPGs are garbage, unplayable trash.

RPGs weren't good until the 90s. Don't fucking respond because it's true and I won't listen to any other garbage trash from 40 year old retards who refuse to admit their games were shit. Wizardry 4 is the worst game I've ever played and would rather play Dragon Age 2 than that garbage
RPGs weren't good until a brief period in 1997 and again in 2001.

Shitting on old games: check
Using the nostalgia fallacy: check
Joined in 2018: check

Retarded newfags? Double check.

Nyast

Cipher
Allright, I'm blocked in the main quest. It seems like it's a major bug to me that prevents completion of the game, but what do I know. Spoiler Bear temple:

I'm in the Bear temple, bottom level. It's all empty and there's nothing to see/do here. I'm supposed to meet an NPC there, a priestess, which is confirmed by the guidebook. There's nothing. Did I miss something or is that a confirmed bug ?

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Allright, I'm blocked in the main quest. It seems like it's a major bug to me that prevents completion of the game, but what do I know. Spoiler Bear temple:

I'm in the Bear temple, bottom level. It's all empty and there's nothing to see/do here. I'm supposed to meet an NPC there, a priestess, which is confirmed by the guidebook. There's nothing. Did I miss something or is that a confirmed bug ?

Yup, that's where the suspected plot stopping bug is. Couple of reports on the Steam forums, but no developer response or workaround so far: https://steamcommunity.com/app/5660...idforum=1698294337765514050&include_deleted=1

Codex Year of the Donut
Wizardry 1-4, Might and Magic 1 and 2, and every 80s video game non PnP RPGs are garbage, unplayable trash.

RPGs weren't good until the 90s. Don't fucking respond because it's true and I won't listen to any other garbage trash from 40 year old retards who refuse to admit their games were shit. Wizardry 4 is the worst game I've ever played and would rather play Dragon Age 2 than that garbage

fallout 3 is the only good fallout

Nyast

Cipher
Yup, that's where the suspected plot stopping bug is. Couple of reports on the Steam forums, but no developer response or workaround so far: https://steamcommunity.com/app/5660...idforum=1698294337765514050&include_deleted=1

Yup, I just posted in that thread too.

But what confuses me is what fantadomat posted 2 pages ago. He seems further away in the main quest, as I definitely have not seen this area nor encountered any enemy that strong:
Found a new obstacle :incline:

1234.png

So, fantadomat Did you not have the bug in the Bear temple ?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's kind of similar, yes, in that you can only "memorize" a couple spells at a time.

Another thing on this point: Vancian magic is dumb as hell in the first place.

Except the spells are actually prepared. I don't think it was ever really intended to mean that you learn and forget them everyday.
Wording is stupid, but so is hanging on to it as a proof that "omgf lollol vancian is so stuuuupid".

An odd thing is that this also applies to nonmagic characters. For example a fighter may only remember how to charge, thrust, or swing. If he wants to shield block, he has to forget one of those.

"An odd thing" resulting from Fargo's intention to make it play like Hearthstone. That is having a limited selection of things you can do in a fight. I assume with the intention of making it so players try various things to find a good deck... I mean selection. However it works in practice, I don't know, but even though it could be an interesting mechanic it could also feel "dumb as hell".

Last edited:

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Did the patch drop today?

Cohhcarnage was handed a beta version, but nothing for the plebs yet. Which strikes me as a bit dumb - why give an untested patch to a highly visible livestreamer, but not to a bunch of nobodies on Steam?

V_K

Arcane
Except the spells are actually prepared. I don't think it was ever been really intended to mean that you learn and forget them everyday.
Wording is stupid, but so is hanging on to it as a proof that "omgf lollol vancian is so stuuuupid".
Well, there's a lot of other unexplainable stuff to it, like the inability to use a higher-level slot to memorize a lower-level spell. It's not a terribly plausible system, however you spin it. The proponents of Vancian seem to hang on to it forcing the player to prepare and manage spells as resources, but in CRPG with no scouting mechanic it has exactly the same effect as BT's masteries - you figure out a universal combination, and just push on without varying your tactics. Or you use die and reload as a substitute for scouting, which isn't the greatest of designs either.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yup, I just posted in that thread too.

But what confuses me is what fantadomat posted 2 pages ago. He seems further away in the main quest, as I definitely have not seen this area nor encountered any enemy that strong:
Found a new obstacle :incline:

1234.png

So, fantadomat Did you not have the bug in the Bear temple ?
Hahaha i have the bug,i am just running around and moping some side quests and exploring for missed shit like this area. Now i am doing all the wheel shrines. It is meant to be found by true explorers ;)

Location...
It is beneath the pickt village in the forest,just behind the mother something there is a path that goes down,it is interesting dwarven area.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Wasteland 2 = AWESOMESAUCE

Torment = whateves wannabes

Bard's Tale 4 = POR2 in disguise

BRLLIANT. FUKKIN' BRILLIANT.

P.S. Vancian magic is FUKKIN' EPIC. BEST MAGIC SYSTEM EVAR.

Nyast

Cipher
Hahaha i have the bug,i am just running around and moping some side quests and exploring for missed shit like this area. Now i am doing all the wheel shrines. It is meant to be found by true explorers ;)

Location...
It is beneath the pickt village in the forest,just behind the mother something there is a path that goes down,it is interesting dwarven area.

Yeah, I know that area. Quickly entered it and went back, was full of red enemies out of my level. Maybe I could give it a try now that my party is stronger. But I suspect it's also part of the main quest somehow in the future..

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Location...

Yeah, I know that area. Quickly entered it and went back, was full of red enemies out of my level. Maybe I could give it a try now that my party is stronger. But I suspect it's also part of the main quest somehow in the future..
That area is not,in matter of fact it is part of the map before the forest,you could clear it safely and connect it to the map with bridge. Still in it there a cog puzzle and entrance to some fort,and there is the big guy. Also it does look like a part of the main quest.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Been playing bards tale 4 all day. Having a blast. Hope that the bug which stops you from doing the main quest is fixed once I get there.

Nyast

Cipher
Been playing bards tale 4 all day. Having a blast. Hope that the bug which stops you from doing the main quest is fixed once I get there.

I think they'll fix it in the upcoming patch. I have like 30 hours of play time, so if you barely started, you have some time before you reach that part of the game :)

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
How far into the game am I if I'm after the Sentry Castle and cleared most of the first area outside of the city?

troupeg

Educated

fallout 3 is the only good fallout
Fallout 1 is the only good fallout.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
BT1: Standard attack/MP usage mechanics
BT4: autistic action point/spell point/mastery limits
I'll give you everything else, but your bias is really showing with this one. Why is it that when BT1 has more of something it's better/deeper, but when BT4 does it it's now "autistic"?
Heck, having different kinds of resource management for different classes (warriors building rage with dealing/taking damage, rogues building combo points when using abilities, wizards slowly regenerating magic over time) is a lot more interesting than a standard MP system.

That said, I do think the action point system is stupid and doesn't make much sense (even if it lends itself to not awful combat); and why the fuck do mages not start with full mana? What kind of dumbass doesn't meditate after/before every fight in the first place. Preparation is god damn key in a dungeon delving scenario.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom