Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV News Roundup: Launch Trailer, Spotlight #4, Combat Overview, 300k Wishlists Achieved

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Or maybe they have shitty coders

Last edited:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I had no memory of backing this game but I thought I better check my old email I used for KS before buying it from GoG and sure enough, a bunch of emails telling me to fill out a survey about what platform I wanted it on and stuff. Filled it out and got a confirmation reply, but no key for the game and how do I get to all the extras?

I'd like to play the video game titled "Bard's Tale 4" please, thank you.

Bohr

Arcane

+M

Getting a few Torment flashbacks at this point, just need an accolades video. Time to step away from the Tweetbox for a bit Fargo.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That kind of reviews are so petty and vile, these people are not looking at the game by itself as a separate product from a franchise that has been dead for more than 30 years... the “4” part kind of implies it is a continuation but still why not look at what the game is and judge it on that rather to what the game is not

Darth Canoli

Arcane
That kind of reviews are so petty and vile, these people are not looking at the game by itself as a separate product from a franchise that has been dead for more than 30 years... the “4” part kind of implies it is a continuation but still why not look at what the game is and judge it on that rather to what the game is not

While i agree with you, that's what you get when you make a game from a "renown" franchise, it's more visible but you also get the fan's expectations and disappointment or even hatred if you don't meet theirs expectations ...

Edit : Seems legit enough :lol:
I'd probably hire an african marabout to curse the dev team for generations if i was a backer.

Lord's Retro steam review (linked above)

The game was funded via crowdfunding several years ago, with the promise to create a real sequel to the Original Bards Tale 1 to 3, staying as close to the original as possible while implementing modern technology, and the advantages it offers.

The Backers of the game are now claiming that they went to far off that path, and Inxile is basically completely ignoring all their comments, not even acknowledging that there is a problem, and only reacting to those people who praise their game.

Some things that are not in the game that were trademarks of the original:

1. A multitude of races and classes. The new game lacks a lot of the races and classes of the old trilogy.

2. There are no random encounters. Anyone that remembers the classic Bards Tale, remembers that one vital part was to grind through Dungeons for XP, gold and Loot. That part is gone, completely.

3. The Leveling system is now completely meaningless. All you get when you level is 1 Skill point that you can use for a skill that is basically 'You can now wear X'. You also dont get any HP on levelups. Everyone that knows the originals will see how this is a problem.

4. The combat system. While it is clear that you can not use the classic text based combat system in a modern game, they went a completely different route. Combat is now strategic on a 4x4 tile, and every combat takes several minutes, compared to the seconds it took to resolve combat in the original.

5. Skills and crafting. Was never a part of Bards Tale, and even though it could have been a valuable and interesting addition, the way they implemented it was very poor. For example: You can only have three skills usable at any given time, and it is placed in an mmo style taskbar.

6. Spells. One trademark of Bards Tale was its huge amount of spells. Currently they maybe implemented a Fifth of that, and compared to the spells of the original trilogy, they are utterly boring.

7. You can not create your Group of adventurerers from Scratch. Instead you start with being given a premade character and have to progress through several hours of gameplay before you are given the option to create your own band of adventurers. Replay Value: Zero.

8. They retconned the lore. Several events of the classic Bards Tale are completely ignored or changed in hindsight. Skara Brae is now a coastal city all of a sudden. NPC that were officially dead are now back all of a sudden (Lagoth Zanta, Roscoe, to name just too), and the Big♥♥♥♥♥Villain of part 3, Tarjan, a god that killed all other gods and nearly destroyed all of creation, now simply is a powerhungry but misunderstood mage.

9. Skara Brae is now in Scotland, or something resembling scotland?

10. And this is one of the major gripes people have:
Anyone remember the 2004 reimplementation of Bards Tale? Yes, that atrocity of a game that basically had a Bard run through Dungeons in Diablo Style, using immature potty humour? That very same kind of humour is now part of Bards Tale, and the Backers hate it.While Bards Tale never was a super serious game, it still had at times a very dark background, and this new game is littered with immature jokes and stuff like that all over the place.

11. Gridbased movement, and mapping:
The game was promised to be a tilebased gridbased turnbased dungeoncrawler. While it does have an option to turn gridbased movement on, it is currently not working and from what can be seen was clearly just slapped on the freeform movement. Everyone that played the original Bards Tale knows that one major part of dungeon crawling was to create your own map. This, with the currently implemented form of movement, is quite literally impossible.

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
PTq87F7.png

aratuk

Cipher
So has Fargo stopped saying that he's retiring after Wasteland 3, then? Now he's going to buy Interplay back?

What assets does Interplay still have that are worth a damn? Except for Tass Times in Tonetown, hasn't it been strip mined?

I knew the Bard's Tale sequel was in trouble when they failed to get the Proclaimers to do the soundtrack.

aratuk

Cipher
I do miss the spinning Interplay logo in lieu of hourglass when maps were loading in the old Fallouts. Watching it spin made you okay with sitting there in anticipation of what was to come. On modern machines the maps load so fast you hardly have time to appreciate it.

It sounds like the load times are long enough in BTIV that the inclusion of the Interplay logo would bring significant :incline:.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Talk about the pipest of pipedreams... From the look of things Bard’s Tale is not going to have a snowball’s chance in Hell with all the negative reaction and you guys are daydreaming about Fargo getting Interplay back
:evilcodex:

Sacibengala

Prophet
I didn't saw any gameplay or trailer of the game post release, anyone can tell me if there is a classic movement, like grimrock or the new trilogy in this? Or just the skyrim like kind of movement? I don't have time to play this now and I am not following the thread, so I'm sorry if it sounds repetitive.

newtmonkey

Arcane
There is no grid movement yet, the option in the menu is grayed out though the world is obviously grid-based (all the puzzles only work in the 8 cardinal directions).

Honestly, I don't think adding grid movement will improve the game any, if anyone is hoping for that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom