Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Shadenuat

Arcane
inXile forums already getting mad at sea's respec post:

Yeah, that's me getting pissed off at the response. Respec in the beta was broken
My guess people don't dislike just lack of respec, but the fact that the moment you click on any skill while having a skill point, it's done, you can never go back. There is no shit like picking and then un-picking or confirming your choice of skills on the skill screen.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
When, or rather at what point in the game is it possible to trash the whole party and create all members from scratch?

It's progressive.
[...]
Note that the amount of party members also gets unlocked progressively with the plot ( as some NPCs join your party )
[...]
any time after 2-3 hours into the game, but to unlock all party members will take much, much longer: maybe 15-20 hours ?

Ah, now I understand. I thought we'd get the full amount of tokens 2-3 hours into the game, so we could build the whole custom party at once after the "starter dungeon". But if this is stretched out through the whole game... meh...
The only thing calming me down, is that we don't need to level them up from Level 1, but they start in similar levels as the replaced ones and we can just apply all the skillpoints after our liking (or so I've read).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The map legend is really annoying is a way. They cluster it with all useless things like fay puzzles yet they don't put important things like savepoints and weapon shrines.:argh:

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Cohh will be reading out WORLD EXCLUSIVE patch notes for today's patch on his stream in a sec:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So the short answer is: pretty much any time after 2-3 hours into the game, but to unlock all party members will take much, much longer ( whether you use NPCs or custom party members ): maybe 15-20 hours ?

... this is just so dumb. You make a 'sequel' to an oldschool party-based RPG and you gate full party size/creation for 15-20 hours? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I don’t understand how they thought the combat engine was a good idea. What the fuck is up with only having so many points to spend across your entire party? Has there ever been an RPG in history where every character doesn’t get to do something on their turn? The way this plays out, some characters can’t even act if you have a party bigger than the point pool available to you.

Can you imagine if D&D had evolved that way and all RPGs had followed that idea?

Cleric: I heal the rogue.
DM: Oh, sorry, the fighter already used all the points for the party this turn.

I mean, come on guys, what is this shit?

Themadcow

Augur
The combat system is odd. Under no circumstances can it make sense that one character would have all the opportunity in combat, and another just sits there twiddling their thumbs (unless that player was fulfilling a specific passive role, maybe a tank). The whole front row/back row/columns and rows combat thing has been done in Blobbers before - Etrian Odyssey has a similar system I think. The difference being in Etrian that every member of the party is active in combat, and the synergies between classes and skills are absolutely vital.

troupeg

Educated
1. The combat system is great. Fuck off for wanting the same old shit over and over again, get the fuck over it you fucking old nostalgia blind autistic retards.

2. The music is perfect and literally can't be any better than it is now.

Rate my post "Shit" and "Edgy" and "retardred" all you fucking want. It doesn't change how fucking retarded most of you are with how you hate ANY change that isn't like it was in the 90s.

troupeg

Educated
Rate my post "Shit" and "Edgy" and "retardred" all you fucking want. It doesn't change how fucking retarded most of you are with how you hate ANY change that isn't like it was in the 90s.

80's.

:nocountryforshitposters:
Wizardry 1-4, Might and Magic 1 and 2, and every 80s video game non PnP RPGs are garbage, unplayable trash.

RPGs weren't good until the 90s. Don't fucking respond because it's true and I won't listen to any other garbage trash from 40 year old retards who refuse to admit their games were shit. Wizardry 4 is the worst game I've ever played and would rather play Dragon Age 2 than that garbage

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I don’t understand how they thought the combat engine was a good idea. What the fuck is up with only having so many points to spend across your entire party? Has there ever been an RPG in history where every character doesn’t get to do something on their turn? The way this plays out, some characters can’t even act if you have a party bigger than the point pool available to you.

Can you imagine if D&D had evolved that way and all RPGs had followed that idea?

Cleric: I heal the rogue.
DM: Oh, sorry, the fighter already used all the points for the party this turn.

I mean, come on guys, what is this shit?

In my party Crux is the alpha damage dealer (and Levitate is unbalanced). The tank is just tanking by sitting there like a retard. I only use the bard for the basic shield and the rogue ... I did not use him in the last 20+ fights !?

Basically I'm steam-rolling the game with one practitioner, one fighter and one bard. My setup is nothing special but the AI is so retarded that I don't need anything else.

The difference between an easy fight and a hard fight is how many drinks are consumed by the bard.

Overall the game is just a combination of bad puzzles, shit combat, mediocre story, bad writing and voice acting, streamlined world design ... it's pointless to say that the fun factor is almost non-existent. This game is not salvageable as W2.

I uninstalled the game twice and then I've reinstalled cause I've put like 8 hours into it and if I give up now then I will never play it again. To be honest, this game is 100% refund material (however as a backer I cannot refund it).

Thank God Fargo was retarded enough to go with Fig and that's why I did not backed W3. That's one clusterfuck I'm happy to miss.

Themadcow

Augur
RPGs weren't good until the 90s. Don't fucking respond because it's true and I won't listen to any other garbage trash from 40 year old retards who refuse to admit their games were shit. Wizardry 4 is the worst game I've ever played and would rather play Dragon Age 2 than that garbage

So you're saying that 90s RPG's were good? But...

Damn, that was easier than I thought.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Thank God Fargo was retarded enough to go with Fig and that's why I did not backed W3. That's one clusterfuck I'm happy to miss.

Considering many people are saying wasteland 2 directors cut was amazing, I feel like wasteland 3 is probably going to be pretty good.

Biggus

Scholar
Wizardry 1-4, Might and Magic 1 and 2, and every 80s video game non PnP RPGs are garbage, unplayable trash.

What about 62 year old retards?

troupeg

Educated

So you're saying that 90s RPG's were good?

Damn, that was easier than I thought.

Huh? "New things are good, stop wanting the same stuff every single time" and "I like old stuff" are not the same shit. See? 40 year old retards will twist your argument to make you incorrect because they can't handle that their old shit gets old sometimes..

Old things are good. But new things are good, too.

Curratum

Did you spend 4 months lurking just so you could defend this heap of garbage, troupeg?

I mean, I can't fucking stand Wizardry and early MnMs but come on, BT4 is just stupid.

troupeg

Educated
Did you spend 4 months lurking just so you could defend this heap of garbage, troupeg?

I mean, I can't fucking stand Wizardry and early MnMs but come on, BT4 is just stupid.
No, I'm just embarrassed to post on this website sometimes because of nostalgia blind idiots. It's why most of my posts are in Adventure Gaming because there's way less nostalgia blind idiots in that section.

Curratum

But the thing is, it doesn't take a nostalgia-blind idiot to see why BT4 is weird to the point where it's no longer an RPG really and it becomes more of a tedious puzzle game that uses 2D toons.

troupeg

Educated
But it is an RPG. Wizardry 4 is the definition of a puzzle game with combat, except the puzzles are fucking dumb because if you die you have to restart. Boy I sure do love invisible minefields with no hints of the true path except trial and error.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I don’t understand how they thought the combat engine was a good idea.

I get that they wanted to make something more than just fight-fight-fight-defend-defend-defend. It's not a terrible idea. But to sacrifice everything else, including basic stuff like levels giving you stats and HP, and this was the result? They needed to rethink their goals. Not everyone is a great innovator.

This feels like a case where the developer came up with their 'genius idea' and instead of admitting it was bad and didn't work, insisted on trying to make it work no matter what.

Themadcow

Augur
Funnily enough, when inXile told us that this was their combat system idea (the grid) for BT4, I actually endorsed it and gave them a bunch of suggestions. I'm not resistant to the concept at all. What is fucking stupid is the opportunity point system.

Unfortunately that stupid point system is also alongside other bad ideas like not allowing a custom party from the start, having an amazingly low restriction on abilities and... well. pretty much everything to do with stats and gear.

aweigh
Instead of playing this popamole BT4 shit, why don't you mod out the kawaii cancer of labyrinth of refrain?

Don't get me wrong, absolutely love the gameplay part of labyrinth of refrain; but need to take a break every half an hour or so to recover after the exposure to kawaii cancer.

But hey, infinitely better than fargo's popamole aids.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom