Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cael

Arcane
Game devs hadnt and probabbly wouldnt do the pointing out because they have a zero budget for PR and marketing staff who would have to fight the crazies from all corner, up to and including the crazies inside their own company.

It is the trend these days to pay attention to crazies. As game companies dont have that much clout, they have to follow the trend even if they dont agree with the trend. (God help us with companies that agree with the trend).

It's the trend these days for amateur, quack, and crazies flooding game dev scene nowadays, ESPECIALLY in writing positions. And for them, alphabet soupies are a big part of their mentality, their school of thoughts. Ditto with the leftism bias, by the way. Thus they got an in regarding game companies.

See? And no cure. You have to wait until it's no longer the trends, is all.
Or we get rid of the trend by nuking all alphabet soupies back into the closet.

And the sad part is, it still won't solve the problem because 99% of the crazies are not alphabet soupies, but people using alphabet soupies as an excuse for personal gain.

Perhaps the true solution is to outlaw people who go around speaking for others without their consent: "Are you a lesbian? No? How, then, do you claim to represent lesbians? Empathy? Well, how nice. Constable, arrest this bitch for impersonating a lesbian in order to commit fraud on a national scale."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man are we still talking about this

I've always thought these sorts of pansexual romances were created not for men with freaky tastes, but primarily for the same audience that likes straight romances - geeky girls of the type that enjoys "shipping" fan fiction. They are a small percentage of the audience, but disproportionately represented on social media spaces. If you want your game to become a meme on Tumblr and Twitter, appealing to this crowd helps. It helps that most female writers on these games probably come from the same social strata.

But yeah, one reason I find it hard to get my jimmies rustled by this stuff is that I don't see much difference between the straight romance and the gay romance. It's all written for the same people in the same style. The "I like BioWare romances, but only straight ones!" constituency is small (and frankly probably even more cringy than the fanfic-writing Tumblr girls). You either don't like romances at all or you like them all.

(Note: I think the dynamics are different in an overtly masculine POV game like The Witcher. But most RPGs with their blank slate characters aren't like that.)

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You either don't like romances at all or you like them all.

I don't think that's true at all. Whether I am playing a male or female character (I do play female characters fairly regularly in RPGs), I'm only interested in romances with female characters because I don't care for men or want a pretend-romance with them. My wife is the same (albeit with the gender reversed). And many of the people who want gay romances have explicitly stated they don't want to play het romances.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the quoted sentence--maybe you just meant 'in favor of all romances, whether you want to play them or not?'--but otherwise I don't think it could be more off base.

Theldaran

Liturgist
You either don't like romances at all or you like them all.

I don't think that's true at all. Whether I am playing a male or female character (I do play female characters fairly regularly in RPGs), I'm only interested in romances with female characters because I don't care for men or want a pretend-romance with them. My wife is the same (albeit with the gender reversed). And many of the people who want gay romances have explicitly stated they don't want to play het romances.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the quoted sentence, but otherwise I don't think it could be more off base.

Just stick to the BG2 model: x3 the romances aimed at men than the romances aimed at women (Viconia, Jaheira, Aerie vs. Anomen).

Sad that Bioware, being filthy nerds, made room for a growth in female audience. Sooner or later it's gonna bust.

Draugir101

Novice
Just learned that there's an NPC cleric, who is apparently a servant of a dark god. If he is evil, someone will probably sue the developers for linking darkness to evilness.

Xeon

Augur
I always thought of an AMA as a type of promotion so I don't see why they would hold the AMA in their game sub when its small and the people who are already there are already interested in the game.

deuxhero

Arcane
I hope that feat list at 48 seconds into the character creation trailer isn't the full list, it seems rather short even though it includes stuff the character doesn't qualify for. No Boon Companion?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
"Over the last 8 years"? MCA is a big boy and doesn't need any stanning from me but what has he even worked on recently in a full authorial capacity? The last thing I remember was F: NV DLCs and that writing was excellent, and that was... yep, look at that, exactly 8 years ago.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
"Over the last 8 years"? MCA is a big boy and doesn't need any stanning from me but what has he even worked on recently in a full authorial capacity? The last thing I remember was F: NV DLCs and that writing was excellent, and that was... yep, look at that, exactly 8 years ago.
fnv was good

So ir's confirmed that he's actually like head author or whatever u call it in pathfinder? I guess in divinity/pillars/torment/whatever other shit he was involved in since he played a very small role?

Guess I'm tired of seeing "MCA INVOLVED!!!" in these thread titles then the game releases and sucks shit

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
no he's not head author in Pathfinder. FNV DLCs will still be the last time he was a "lead" author on something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom