Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
"Daggerfall Unity isn't Vaporware" — 2009

It may not technically be vaporware, but if so, we need a new term: DeLoreanware.

DeLoreanware will be released eventually, but you might need Doc Brown's DeLorean if you hope to play it before you die of natural causes.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
zwrtha.png

Visit XL Engine forums for more info.

Luzur

Good Sir
Daggerfall Unity September 2018
Posted on September 8, 2018 by Interkarma
New Builds For September 2018

First builds of the month are now ready on Live Builds page. There are some great new features this time around, so let’s take our time unpacking them.

SDF Font Rendering
One common feature request is to improve quality of fonts in the game. This isn’t a trivial problem to solve as Daggerfall’s text formatting is hard-coded in books, quests, popups, etc. to line-wrap at certain points. There’s a very tight relationship between Daggerfall’s regular pixel font widths and how many characters appear per row. For any font upgrade to fit seamlessly within classic user interface, it must take this into account.

My solution was to completely overhaul the way UI renders text and support Signed Distance Field (SDF) fonts in addition to classic pixel fonts. This works by first performing a virtual layout for text elements then rendering either a standard pixel-font character or SDF-font character into the layout using a fast GPU shader. The end result is smooth high-resolution fonts at any resolution that follow the same layout rules.

You can toggle SDF font rendering in the startup UI or at any time in game with shortcut Shift+F11. SDF fonts are modable by dropping replacements into the StreamingAssets/Fonts folder. I will post an article dedicated to creating an SDF font atlas suitable for Daggerfall Unity soon. SDF fonts will be visible wherever text appears in the game – with the exception of text that’s “baked in” to UI elements. This needs to be modded out a different way and is unrelated to text rendering.

Below are some examples of book text at 4k resolution (click for full size).

New Spell Effects
Some powerful new spells are available in these builds that can make a real difference to character survival.

Water Walking & Water Breathing
In classic Daggerfall, water walking is more like a swim speed effect. I’ve tweaked this so you actually run over the surface of exterior water while keeping the usefulness of swim speed in dungeons. I’m likely to add the ability to stand on surface of dungeon water volume sometime in future. Water breathing will suspend your need to take breath while swimming underwater.

direct link to gfy

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

direct link to gfy

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

Magical Concealment
Fragile mages and nightblades rejoice, for now you can slip unseen past dangerous foes. The effects Chameleon Normal/True, Shadow Normal/True, and Invisibility Normal/True are now available. Credit goes to Allofich for implementing the back-end of these effects and AI behaviour of mobile enemies.

In case you’re not sure of difference between Normal/True for these effects, a normal strength effect will break when you attack something, and true strength effect will not. In the first of following two videos, I torment the city watch by going invisible (true) and using fireballs to distract them. They can see where the fireball originated from and will run to that spot. In the second video, I use an AOE effect to turn city watch invisible (normal) so they reappear as soon as they strike me. I don’t last very long against invisible knights!

Regardless of your concealment type, if enemies get close enough to you, they will be able to sense your presence and take a swing. It still pays to be a little careful.

direct link to gfy

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

direct link to gfy

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

Climbing
The climbing effect increases both your skill at climbing and the speed at which you climb. For characters that spend more time studying than working on their core strength, this could save them after falling into a body of water needing climbing to escape. In the video below, I climb normally then again while enhanced by the climbing effect.

direct link to gfy

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

Jumping
There’s nothing more satisfying than leaping from rooftop to rooftop. With the jumping effect, you can propel yourself to heights out of reach even for skilled acrobats.

direct link to gfy

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

Identify
Now that you can find magic items in treasure and on slain foes, you need a way of identifying those items in the field. Thanks to Hazelnut, you’ve long been able to identify magic items in Mages Guilds. The identify effect allows you to identify items from anywhere. This effect just opens a free identify interface as if player is inside a Mages Guild, which is only partially how this effect should work. I will return to this later and refine it to work more like classic.

Initial Magic Item Support
Magic items make their debut in this build with support for “on equip”, “on use”, and “on strike” spells. Only effects that have been implemented will function on magic items, but that’s almost at the 70% point now so most magic items should work. And thanks to Allofich, you’ll find magic items in loot piles and on the corpses of slain monsters. These magic items have random effects assigned using same process as Daggerfall itself.

Magic items are far from complete, however. We still need to support special powers that work like advantages/disadvantages, and link all this up to the magic item crafting station in Mages Guilds. But just having a good chunk of magic item support available opens up a lot of new gameplay.

Here are a few videos of magic items in action. First I try out a pair of “on equip” pants of water walking. Then I heal and cast a fireball with “on use” toga and armbands. Finally, I paralyze the city watch with a Dwarven dagger of cursing.

direct link to gfy

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

direct link to gfy

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

direct link to gfy

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

Buy Spells
A small but important addition is you can now purchase standard spells available in Mages Guilds across the Illiac Bay. Only spells that have been implemented are available for sale, but this sits at around 70% now. With all the upgrades in these builds, the magic system is finally starting to become fun and useful.

What Else Is New
Many other refinements and new features have gone into these builds that aren’t so easy to screenshot. It’s also important to credit those who have added work.

• Enemy AI improvements (Allofich)
  • Recreate classic random enemy selection in dungeons (Allofich)
  • Implement classic melee timer and reflexes (Allofich)
  • Magic items with random spell effects now available in loot drops (Allofich)
  • Magic items imported correctly from classic saves (Allofich)
  • Climbing fixes and improvements (MeteoricDragon)
  • Underwater fog in dungeons (MeteoricDragon)
  • Swimming improvements and fixes (MeteoricDragon)
  • Gold in wagons can be deposited directly into banks (Hazelnut)
  • Improvements to mod system (TheLacus)
  • New console command “add magic [n]” where [n] is number of random magic items to add

Bug Fixes
  • UI fixes for for custom class creator (Numidium)
  • Save Explorer tool window fixes (Allofich)
  • Fixed out of bounds error in older saves (Allofich)
  • Fix for weapon hand when loading saves (Allofich)
  • Fixed several portraits showing “oops tell Mark now” (Nystul)
  • Fixed “unknown-guild” text in Talk window (Nystul)
  • Fixes to message block handling in quest parser
  • Potential fix for Mac crash on start due to shader compile errors (note: may break compatibility with some mods on Mac)

Known Issues/Limitations
Please don’t forget the game is still in pre-alpha. Here are some known limitations of new features in this round of builds.

• Spell icons for equipped items expire, even though effect is permanent while item remains equipped
  • Magic Item and Potion crafting UIs still under development.
  • Not all effects implemented. See Effect System Status roadmap for more. Any magic items requiring non-implemented effects will not function.
  • Only first “on use” spell on magic item will be cast on use.
  • SDF font not supported in exterior automap name plates, or wherever text is “baked in” to UIs.
  • Identify effect does not work exactly like classic.

Conclusion
Thank you for taking the time to read this post and follow the progress of Daggerfall Unity. I’m incredibly grateful to have so many awesome devs attach themselves to this project and help make it into a reality. For a big game remake that began as a single person’s hobby, it certainly has taken on a life of its own!

With the great people involved and the progress already made, I can’t see any technical roadblocks between now and reaching parity with classic Daggerfall sometime in the next several months. All of the really challenging problems are solved and the bulk of features are now in reasonable working order. From here it’s just an incremental run to the end as all the missing pieces come together.

For more frequent updates on Daggerfall Unity, follow me on Twitter @gav_clayton.

index.php

Arcane

OpenTESArena 0.8.0

New features and changes in version 0.8.0:

• Enter and exit buildings
  • Interact with doors
  • Building names in cities
  • Original camera height and ceiling height
  • Modern mode free-look now like later games in the series
  • Occlusion buffer implementation (greatly reduces overdraw)
  • Correct raised platforms for interiors
  • Redesigned options menu
  • Time scale option (simulate the speed of DOSBox at lower cycles)
  • Trailing slash fix for ArenaPath
  • Improved WildMIDI error reporting on init failure
Notes:

• Wilderness is not implemented yet
  • Original sprites are not being loaded yet
Known issues:

• Tavern names in Imperial City are incorrect
  • Some palace gate graphics are incorrect
  • Diagonal walls have same collision as walls
  • Deserts occasionally play snow music
For details on how to get OpenTESArena running, see the Installation section in the Readme.

Luzur

Good Sir

OpenTESArena 0.8.0

New features and changes in version 0.8.0:

• Enter and exit buildings
  • Interact with doors
  • Building names in cities
  • Original camera height and ceiling height
  • Modern mode free-look now like later games in the series
  • Occlusion buffer implementation (greatly reduces overdraw)
  • Correct raised platforms for interiors
  • Redesigned options menu
  • Time scale option (simulate the speed of DOSBox at lower cycles)
  • Trailing slash fix for ArenaPath
  • Improved WildMIDI error reporting on init failure
Notes:

• Wilderness is not implemented yet
  • Original sprites are not being loaded yet
Known issues:

• Tavern names in Imperial City are incorrect
  • Some palace gate graphics are incorrect
  • Diagonal walls have same collision as walls
  • Deserts occasionally play snow music
For details on how to get OpenTESArena running, see the Installation section in the Readme.

Nice, totally forgot about that, keep 'em coming

Luzur

Good Sir
Daggerfall Unity October 2018
Posted on October 13, 2018 by Interkarma
New Builds for October 2018

New builds are available on the Live Builds page now. This has been another huge month for Daggerfall Unity. We’re quickly closing the gap towards major parity with classic Daggerfall and exiting pre-alpha. The magic system has taken another big jump forwards this month with the number of implemented spell effects crossing the 90% complete mark.

I’ve also updated the main Roadmap and shifted a few magic-related items out of 0.5 into 0.7. This is so I can create a stable 0.5 build and start the downhill run towards exiting pre-alpha. I don’t think we’ll spend very long in 0.6, 0.7, and 0.8. These milestones have become more a formality at this point.

Alright, let’s unpack what’s new in October!

Automap SDF Fonts (Nystul)
The new SDF font system is now functional in automap UI. Now the fonts look smooth whether you’re zoomed all the way in or out of the map.

Advanced Climbing System (MeteoricDragon)
Daggerfall Unity isn’t just about reproducing classic 1:1 with quality of life features and mod support. We’re also adding depth to parts of the game that needed a bit more love in classic. If you’re the type of Daggerfall player who enjoys the Acrobat class, you probably want to make sure this option is enabled at Advanced > Enhancements.

The Advanced Climbing System allows characters with a high Climbing skill to not only scale walls, but to move in any direction, wrap around corners, cling to the wall, grab walls in the air, and leap off walls. A Khajiit with a high Climbing skill and magic can scale over practically any surface in the game. You can even climb out of water now, rather than face certain drowning.

direct link to gfy

placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png
placeholder.png

In latest builds, you can rappel down walls by walking backwards off the top. I remember looking everywhere for that rope mentioned in the Daggerfall’s manual, only to discover it wasn’t in the game. Well, who needs ropes when you can rappel?

direct link to gfy

If you’re a classic purist who prefers just scaling walls, all of these features are optional. Simply disable the Advanced Climbing System in settings and things are back to classic. The Advanced Climbing System is currently enabled by default for testing – and because it’s really fun to play with.

Biography Questions (Numidium)
These randomise your character a bit at the beginning of your adventures, changing starting gear, reputation, and more. You can either randomise biographies in a single click, or answer a series of questions. With this feature, custom character creation is now all but complete.

Character History (Numidium)
Hand-in-glove with biographies comes your character History, activated from a button on your character sheet (F5). This is an automatically generated background to help give you some role-play hooks for your character. This is mostly for flavour, but it’s a nice pen-and-paper RPG touch unique to Daggerfall. Note that only new characters generated from these builds will receive a full history. Existing or imported characters will have a blank history page.

Starting Spells & Magic Skill Tally (Numidium)
New characters now also receive their starting spells loadout. Missing these spells is a small thing easily overcome by a trip to the Gothway Garden Mages Guild, but they can be a nice starting point and help new casters escape Privateer’s Hold.

It’s also worth mentioning that casters now receive skill tallies when casting spells, it’s finally possible to level up your magic-user the normal way. And spell point costs are now enforced like classic as we tear off the “test” label and start considering spell casting in full production.

Enemy Target Selection & Infighting (Allofich)
Another enhancement not found in classic. Enemies will now select non-allied targets to engage in combat. Enemy allies are considered to be on same “team”, such as “undead”, “vermin”, and “daedra”. They might fight the player or engage with another monster not on their team. This brings a new dynamic to dungeon crawling where the inhabitants aren’t just standing around waiting for the player, they will also fight each other. In the video below, I kite that skeleton in Privateer’s Hold upstairs to the Orc in a nearby room and get them to fight each other.

direct link to gfy

If you prefer the classic system, this feature can be disabled from Advanced > Enhancements > Enemy Infighting.

Poisons & Elemental Resistances (Allofich/Interkarma)
As if diseases weren’t bad enough, poisons make their debut in October builds. Enemies will have a chance of carrying a poison weapon that will inflict player with a deadly poison. This is where your spellcraft or class immunity might come in handy. Poisons can end your adventuring career very quickly, so try to have a Cure Poison spell or a recent save handy.

As part of adding poisons, elemental resistances and their saving throw formulas have been implemented in these builds. You can find these spells available in the spellmaker (more on this below).

Ambient Light Scale Options
If you feel that dungeons and night-time are too bright in Daggerfall Unity, you can now adjust these with new sliders in Advanced > Enhancements.

You can set the ambient scale for dungeons, night-time, and the player’s personal light. These can be set from 0.0 (off) to 1.0 (normal). The lower you set these sliders, the darker these environments become. Setting dungeons to near 0.0-0.2 makes for a very claustrophobic experience. I show an extra-dark dungeon below in the video for the Light spell.

Hazelnut Updates
I’ve had some help writing this article, and Hazelnut was kind enough to outline what he worked on in the October builds. I’ll be back after his part of this update to outline all the new spell effects in these builds.

Hazelnut – Intro
After my initial foray into contributing with horse riding and ships, I turned my attention to all the logistics systems in Daggerfall. These fall under the following main categories:

• Contextual macro replacements (quests, message boxes, talking etc)
  • Item management (inventory, wagon etc)
  • Commerce (trading, repairing etc)
  • Guilds (membership, quest dispensing etc)
  • Services (curing, potions, guild perks etc)
After having a bit of a break due to real life commitments, I recently returned to fill in the gaps in these systems. With the exception of some magic related parts, I think they’re pretty much complete now. So let me tell you what have I contributed recently…

Art Appraisal
A bug report was submitted pointing out that the info on painting items was not working which brought it to my attention. Rather embarrassingly I’ve since found that it had already been pointed out to me twice in other threads and I’d just forgotten all about it. However, with hindsight that was probably for the best because I might be bald from tearing my hair out if I’d tried to implement this before the amazing Allofich had reverse engineered the classic Daggerfall code and posted it to get me started!

Basically the info for paintings uses one of 7 variations of title stored in text.rsc at index 250. These messages contain various permutations of the macros %sub, %adj, %pp1, %pp2, %an (subject, adjective, prefix1, prefix2, artist name) which need to be replaced with the correct context text for the specific painting. The Daggerfall random number generator is seeded from a field on the item called ‘message’ that contains a random number applied when the painting is created, and everything is generated from this single number using a specific algorithm. It’s important to match classic so that the title matches the image displayed, the alternative would have been to create a new algorithm which was consistent but didn’t match classic. There were a few gaps in Allofich’s description so it took a bit of back and forth, plus several hours of experimentation on my part, to nail it. Now painting info should match classic, so please let us know if it doesn’t.

Part of the algorithm indexes an image from one of the many painting image files. Interkarma added the ability to add images to message boxes which I then used to display the correct painting above the title. Last thing was to correct the text to display in the info panel properly. Quite a nice example of teamwork I think, and very satisfying indeed. Here’s an example:

Painting Info

Shoplifting & Fences
Next on my todo list was to finish the trade window implementation, specifically the steal button. This required a new formula ‘CalculateShopliftingChance’ which uses the number of items and their combined weight with the players pickpocket skill to give a chance of success. Like most of the DFU formula, it can be very easily overridden by mods like the Archaeologists Guild mod changes the language pacification formula. Since Allofich had already implemented spawning of city watch guards, implementing failure was quite straighforward.

Then I moved on to the other side of the Thievery coin and implemented the Thieves Guild fence service which allows players to sell magic items. This needed a new mode for the trade window so that it could filter on item enchantment instead of type. It currently uses the default sell formula, although UESP hints that it may need updating to take into account reputation with the TG Fences. That will happen once we have concrete info and is simply a case of creating & using a new formula method.

Daedra Summoning
The last guild service, that is not tied into the magic system (still under construction), is summoning Daedra. I had no idea how this worked since I only ever got to level 2 in classic, so some research was required. After a while it became clear that at its core the service was really just a fancy quest dispenser, albeit with quests from Daedra to find magical artifacts. Thankfully UESP had good details about price, chance and summoning days so getting the initial part done was fairly straightforward and used standard parchment style message boxes as seen throughout the game.

Daedra Summoning

Getting a quest off a Daedra Lord or Lady is a bit special and has an animated image of the Daedra with the text overlaid at the bottom. This required more work to create a new custom display method that had to split each message into chunks of 4 lines. Each click displays the next chunk and the quest can be accepted or not by pressing ‘Y’ or ‘N’ keys. Luckily Interkarma had also just posted about some code that Lypyl had written back in 2015 that played the related video files, and swiftly worked this into the codebase for me. This meant that adding the video player in the background was a breeze. Thanks Lypyl, very much appreciated!

When summoning works:

Daedra Summoned

Do watch out if summoning fails, or you refuse such a powerful being, you may have trouble on your hands!

Well that wraps up my recent contributions, thanks again to the other members of the DFU team for their help and assistance. Except for fixing bugs in the core codebase, my focus will now be mostly on the Archaeologists Guild mod.

New Spell Effects
Another care package of spell effects has landed in October. Spellcasters now have more utility than ever to survive dangerous encounters, and some new threats as well.

Detect Treasure
This effect helps you find nearby treasure piles. A small arrow is displayed above your compass to guide you towards any treasure within range. In the below video, I’ve stashed a few treasure piles around the Mages Guild and use Detect Treasure to find them. Watch the compass at bottom-right of HUD to see the effect in action.

direct link to gfy

Detect Magic
If an enemy suddenly turns invisible, you might still be able to detect them with help from the Detect Magic effect. In this video, I turn a few mobile NPCs invisible and use Detect Magic to locate one and talk to them. They don’t know they’ve been turned invisible, and aren’t harmed by the spell, so it doesn’t register as a crime. This spell will help you locate magic effects running on any nearby mobiles.

direct link to gfy

Detect Enemy
You can hear that skeleton, but is it on the other side of the wall? With Detect Enemy, you can find out just how screwed your character will be when you open the next door. In this video, I round up a few enemies to test the spell. That’s a lot of markers!

direct link to gfy

Lock & Open
Use your magical prowess to secure doors against foes and open all but the hardest locks.

direct link to gfy

You can even use Open to break into locked buildings at night.

direct link to gfy

But some magical locks remain beyond your skills.

direct link to gfy

Light
Summon a magic candle to light your way in the darkest of dungeons. And for players that really like dark environments, there’s even a new feature to turn down ambient lighting to suit your tastes. Here’s a video of the Light spell in action inside a super-dark dungeon.

direct link to gfy

Elemental Resistance
Poisons are only the beginning. Very soon, enemies will be hurling spells back at the player and fireballs aren’t so much fun when you’re on the receiving end of them. To help the player make their saving throws against magical attacks, you’ll find elemental resistances available in the spellmaker.

And if you fail your saving throw vs poison, you can now create a Cure Poison spell at the spellmaker.

Pacify
Sometimes it’s better to make friends than risk combat. With the Pacify effect, you can now get certain foes on your side – provided they don’t resist your spell. Pacified enemies will not attack you again unless you accidentally harm them in some way.

Free Action
This effect will make you immune to paralysis for its duration. If you still have a paralysis effect active when Free Action expires, then you will become paralysed again. This is like a brief reprieve rather than a cure, for which you have Cure Paralysis. This might be useful when you come up against spiders and scorpions one day soon.

Slowfalling
Levitation is great, but sometimes you just need to glide to the ground. The Slowfalling effect does exactly this. If you find yourself slowfalling downhill like in the video below, a quick Dispel Magic on yourself will cancel the effect.

direct link to gfy

What Else Is New
There’s also a range of improvements and minor new features in these builds, more than I could cover in detail.

• Game Settings window overhaul (TheLacus)
  • Mod localization support (TheLacus)
  • Mobile unit flip now applies to modded enemy sprites (TheLacus)
  • Music selection now matches classic (Allofich)
  • Race and gender attack/hit sound effects (Allofich)
  • Name generation of NPCs is closer to classic (Allofich)
  • Moving platforms now collide with player while levitating (MeteoricDragon)
  • Player no longer falls off those steep ramps in dungeons when running down them (MeteoricDragon)
  • Mouse-over highlight in list boxes (MeteoricDragon)
  • Can now climb out of water while over-encumbered (MeteoricDragon)
  • You will now receive a warning message when entering water while overencumbered (MeteoricDragon)
  • Your arrows are automatically plucked out of corpses, a QoL improvement for archers (Hazelnut)
  • Shoplifting using the “steal” button in stores (Hazelnut)
  • More text macro support (Hazelnut/Numidium/Nystul)
  • FLC file support, used by summoning service
  • Support for string literals in Table class, used by mod system and eventually other localization
  • Lunar phases now tracked in DaggerfallDateTime class (guess what this will be used for later)
    1f642.svg
  • Disabled movement acceleration/deceleration by default, can still be changed in settings window
  • Added a small amount of forward momentum on jump – jump and gravity still not matched to classic
  • Improvements to Heal Attribute effects to allow healing attribute damage from poisons

Bug Fixes
Lots of bug fixes this time around. Because we’re getting close to 0.5 stable, we’ve all spent a lot of time fixing problems and on quality control. Thanks to everyone below for their efforts. Bug fixes aren’t glamorous, but they’re very important.

• Fix for classic spawn check result getting stuck (Allofich)
  • Fix legal reputation persisting into older saves (Allofich)
  • Fixes to enemy animations and mirroring (Allofich)
  • Fix reading classic magic item names (Allofich)
  • Fix free room for member of knightly order region (Allofich)
  • Fix bank manager exception when no gold in wagon (Hazelnut)
  • Fix for magic item lists in merchant windows (Hazelnut)
  • Fix message shown when a house is already owned (Hazelnut)
  • Fix being able to jump with cart (Hazelnut)
  • Fix greetings in talk window and quest givers in relation to guilds (Hazelnut)
  • Fix text macros for temple rejection or identify (Hazelnut)
  • Fix items not being offered for repair (Hazelnut)
  • Fix Mercantile increase when identifying items via magic (Hazelnut)
  • Fix climbing teleport into air bug (MeteoricDragon)
  • Fix slow crouch bug (MeteoricDragon)
  • Fix horse stuttering down rolling hills (MeteoricDragon)
  • Fix gravity when climbing and slipping (MeteoricDragon)
  • Fixes for quest items stacking with normal items (petchema)
  • Fix for “restore anNPC” quest action pattern not compiling
  • Fix for speaking with certain NPCs in castles
  • Fix for issues where quest NPCs are assigned to home building instead of quest target building (e.g. Thieves Guild initiation quest)
  • Fixes to crush detection while levitating, swimming, and outdoor swimming
  • Fixes for loose objects such as towns not cleaning up properly, leaving floating cities, etc.
  • Fix HUD crash when faction has no children
  • Fix stacked exhaustion popups
  • Fix monsters that spawn while resting being improperly tagged to quest system
  • Fix spell missiles colliding with nothing in some dungeons
  • Fix magic items with “on use” not being useable while equipped
  • Fix spell icons by equipped items ending prematurely
  • Fix spell icons not blinking before expiring under certain conditions
  • You can now exit the level advancement screen when all of your attributes are at 100

Conclusion
That’s everything for now. Even as project lead, I’m often surprised by how quickly things are moving. It has become a challenge just to document and credit everyone for their efforts. We may not be at the finish line for a while yet, but Daggerfall Unity is piling on gameplay weight every day. It’s only a matter of time now before it reaches major parity with classic. If you’re willing to overlook a few missing pieces and inevitable bugs, the game is in a highly playable state. Exciting times ahead!

For more frequent updates on Daggerfall Unity, follow me on Twitter @gav_clayton.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Damn this is chugging along at a really good pace. Maybe I'll finally finish a playthrough of Daggerfall after this releases.

I just looked at the part where he was inside the dark dungeon with the creepy ass music.
Damn this shit is a horror game with that claustrophobic walkways and random monster screams.

troupeg

Educated
Also can I just say, the additional stuff they're adding is pretty cool, like climbing down and Left and Right movement while climbing, slow fall, detection spells etc.

Luzur

Good Sir
I haven't been following this in a while. Does this overhaul add custom quests, NPCs, factions and other similar content or are the improvements primarily focused on graphics, sound and gameplay features?

main project is basic Daggerfall fully working + add in modding and also re-introduce allt he missing stuff from the original game that was cut, like sieges, more politics etc etc

Then you have the mods like HD textures, new enemies, new quests, new stuff

Like this one for example:

Tedious Travel 0.1.2
Post by jedidia » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Tedious Travel

A travel mod for daggerfall unity to make traveling more tedious. Because there's weirdoes like me who find that strangely immersive.

In explicit, the classic daggerfall "click-and-be-there" style of fast travel is removed from the game.
Instead, you'll actually be traversing daggerfall, with a convienient "autopilot" and adjustable time compression.

Download Tedious Travel 0.1.2
Source code on GitHub
tedioustravel.jpg

A low-level character will require about 4 minutes real time for a good days travel. I made it from Gothway Garden to Daggerfall in about half an hour real time on horseback,
though at least half of that time was spent chatting people up at ins, which are now suddenly very, very useful landmarks.

Changelog
0.1.2:
Fixed missing navigation arrows for the mountain maps.
0.1.1:
Fixed footstep sounds not turning back on after taveling.
Fixed issue in travel map where find did not display location correctly if players location was still being displayed.
Find feature in map now triggers travel prompt.
Fixed issue where opening the map during travel would not resume travel when leaving it again.
Mitigated player pitch shift that can occur during traveling. It's not gone entirely, but will be reset periodically.

How to play

You can open the travel map normally and click on a destination you want to travel to.
Instead of ye olde travel options, you'll see an estimated travel time and a prompt whether to start travelling or not.
If you answer yes, you'll be taken back to the game, where your character starts heading in the right direction.

In the top you'll see a menu where you can adjust your time compression, interrupt your travel (stop, but do not clear the selected destination),
cancel (stop and clear the destination) or take you back to the map to see where you are. Pressing esc will do the same as the interrupt button.
You can at any time select a new destination in the map. If you exit the map without setting a new destination, any old destination you might have set will be preserved.

If you interrupted your travels, or got interrupted by enemies, and press the button for your travel map, you will first be asked if you want to resume travel to your current destination.
If you answer no, you will be taken to the map as usual, if you answer yes, you will immediately resume travel without going to the map first.

About travel duration

First off, the estimated travel duration will depend on your base speed when you open the map.
If you sit on a horse, the duration will be a lot less (usually about half) of what it would be if you opened the map on your feet.
If you are currently on performance enhancing drugs (aka potions) that will wear of in a few minutes, the estimated time will be highly misleading.
Self-overestimation is a common sideeffect of drug use, after all...
icon_e_wink.gif

The travel time for the first 24 hours will be shown as hours of *pure travel time* (no rest). Times above 24 hours will be shown in days, but assuming 8 hours of actual travel per day.
This is because...

Endurance matters!

Daggerfall has an endurance cost for just walking, and it also applies while riding. You don't really notice this during the game, but this mod brings it up rather painfully.
A low-level character with an endurance of 50 will in fact be able to walk just shy above 8 (in-game) hours straight before kissing the ground.
Plan your trip according to your abilities, and use ins and towns to rest.
Or just travel as the crow flies and rest in the open, where you'll more likely than not get chewed on by a grue.

Horses matter, too!

No, seriously. If you're starting a new character and plan on using this mod, a Horse should be at the absolute top of your list of things to buy before going anywhere much.

Known issues
  • The framerate at higher time compression is atrocious. Not much I can do about that, but your mileage may vary based on how powerful your PC is.
  • Setting time compression too high will eventually make you outrun the loading of the map around you, and you'll fall of the edge of the world. I have not currently set a hard max, because I want people with various systems to try out and see how far they can take it before deciding on a maximum setting. I have a lower mid-range laptop, and my journey into the void starts somewhere at 25x on horseback.
  • If your travel path takes you straight through another town, it can happen that you get stuck on an L-shaped building. Just interrupt your travel, dislocate yourself from the wall (which by now you'll be attempting to climb), walk out of the town and resume your travel.
  • The mousecursor will periodically reset to the center of the screen while travelling. It's a major hack to keep an interactible menu open while the game keeps running, so that seems a small price to pay.
  • At high time compression, it can happen that travel doesn't disengage until you're well inside the location. It can also happen that you overshoot small locations like ins under these conditions. The autopilot will turn around and arrive eventually, though.
  • The mod is not currently aware of the existance of water
Some of these I can do nothing about, some like number 3 I could fix with considerable effort if they get too annoying, and the last one is planned when I get the basics ironed out.
I'm keeping an additional list with known issues pending fixing on the issue tracker. Feel free to post bugs there directly or here.

Or this one:

KoW - Daggerfall Remaster 3.0
Post by King of Worms » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:47 pm

file.php

Daggerfall Remaster v3 small.jpg (450.12 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
Description
This mod consists of 8000+ vanilla based Sprites and Textures!
It is still a work in progress. Ive spend cca 1 year of dedicated work creating this pack.

What is new in v3.0?
100s of new textures and enhancement of the current ones

Another huge optimalization pass without any compromise in a visual fidelity, resulting in a smaller archive size while containing more actually used textures (removed another redundant files as well)

Corrected the pink artefacts on the original based textures which were caused by Bethesda strange colour compression used in 1996 and converted those files back to the original Daggerfall palette - resulting in a smaller size while looking exactly the same.

Faster loading & less memory needed. Still at least 8gb RAM is recommended! With 16gb Ram you will be all set and you can disable the texture compression in the options! This will further improve the loading times.

Extended animation frames count where possible.

Imported higher res sources from the unused sources posted http://web.archive.org/web/199612201703 ... /features/

And much more!!

Unfortunatelly, this is not in a DFMOD package as I encountered some problems on the way and basically run out of time. I will update it laters when I return after cca 3 weeks. IF anyone can make a DFMOD from this and drop a link here in the thread while Im away, It will be appretiated!

Recommended PC Specs
4GB VRAM GFX card
8GB RAM+
SSD
or more...

Recommended Settings
Texture compression - ENABLED (You can run without compression now in v3.0)
Dungeon texture table - CLIMATE
With a "CLASSIC" setting, swamp and woodland texture sets unused, thats BAD. Other settings are too wild.

Antialiasing - SSAA
Main Filter - Trilinear or Point for sharper image
Ambient Occlusion - High, Radius 2.0 and Intensity 0.6
Motion Blur - 25
Eye adaptation - Disabled

Recommended Mods
Mountains & Hills 1.01 (Uncanny_Valley)
Model replacement Project 1.42 (AlexanderSig)
Post processing effects 0.3.1 (The Lacus)
Real Grass 2.2 (The Lacus)
Vibrant Wind (The Lacus)
Birds in Daggerfall (Uncanny_Valley)
and others...

Contribution & Support

Interkarma
tech support

The Lacus
tech support, scripting

Jman0war
beautiful hand drawn terrain sprites sets (248 files)
504 Temperate Woodland + 505 Snow Woodland
506 Woodland Hills -- - - - - 507 Snow Woodland Hills
508 Haunted Mountains -- - 509 Snow Haunted Mountains
510 Mountains -- - - - - - - - 511 Snow Mountains
NPC no.182_17-0

VM Blast

Mages guild texture set no.337, tavern set no.360, 4x doors (17 files)
+ Donated set of textures I used further on

Alexander Sig
Handpainted town exteriors (35 files)
sets 079, 082, 085, 164, 312, 314, 326, 338, 342, 364, 369, 374

Ghostline
Temperate Terrain ground set (56 files - Adjusted)

Poberun
Desert city building textures (12 files)

Epicurius7
NPCs no.182_1-0 & 182_10-0 & 182_11-0 (3 files)

AXO
Animated NPCs - Mage no.177_0-* & Smith no.177_5-*

Lutojar
Main character conversation portraits (32 files - adjusted)

Mosin Nagant
for his SLADE editor tutorial which helped me to optimize this pack a lot viewtopic.php?f=22&t=818&p=9571#p9571
for his 4 textures of swamp temple which started it all!

Levethian
Desert building textures (11 files - adjusted)

Arl
HD HUD Replacement textures - adjusted

Thank You All for your EPIC contributions!

Installation notes

Extract the package and copy the files to the "...\Daggerfall\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Textures" folder in your game root so it looks like this:
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

DOWNLOAD LINK:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/daggerfall-u ... emaster-30

With best regards
King of Worms, Scourg Barrow

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom