Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also, I know this might be a groundbreaking idea, but... if the game is unstable maybe you shouldn't remove the savepoints and instead opt to use them?
PySdNGa.jpg

Ulrox

Arbiter
It plays/looks neither like hearthstone, nor an animu jrpg, IMHO.

Feel like the mana system is very similar to slay the spire, and the puzzle adventure gameplay reminds me a bit of wild arms, due to the songs that you use to solve various problems, in wild arms, it was items you used. The combat seems similar to a jrpg to me, in that you have a bunch of actions, and a party where you fight monsters. They used a grid system for combat in wild arms 4 for instance.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
To be fair, there was a massive save system debate on official forums where people demanded more punishing save system. So they've done that.

I love alternative save systems if done well but the massive shitstorm with Kingdom Come should've made it clear vast majority of gaymers are lazy and comfortable as fuck nowadays and savescumming is a hard drug. The only way you can come up with an alternative save system today is to hide it behind a Veteran mode or some such or people will rip you a new one.

Curratum

So today I finally installed that i5 3470 to replace my decrepit i3 2120, then got to testing games that were giving me grief. GPU is an R9 380 4 gb, playing at just 900p because of a small monitor.

Dragon Quest XI, which I stopped playing once the first big town killed my fps entirely, went from ~20 to ~50 fps from just the CPU swap.

Bard's Tale 4 went from ~20 to a whopping ~30 with near-constant drops into the 20s, second-long freezes and stuttering present at all times, even when just rotating the camera around, in a dungeon.

How the fuck can you have any sort of compassion for the cunts who got paid to produce this and worked on the engine and locations?

No matter what they tell you about exciting discoveries for potential optimization, this will never get sufficiently fixed. The best they can do is squeeze another 5 or 6 fps out of their shit-smeared code, then call it a "20% boost in fps" and this will be the end of it.

You can go from gamedev to panhandling for all I care, Fargo and company, you fucking cunts.

Xeon

Augur
Saving is limited?

Cohh was playing and game bugged out during a fight resulting in it not ending, lost 20-30min of progress or something.

Mortmal

Arcane
:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:
That Mangar's tower bell puzzle. Anyone have the bell combination at the end of the puzzle? I did the sides and pulled the lever.
First you read the runes on the skulls front .. and back, green and red . Then you place those combinations on the wheels according the colors. Then a lever appears in the blood pool, it will raise the skulls, read them like music notes.
Ring the bells in that order 5342142321
Now go to the end, enjoy boss fight not dropping any loot....

agris

Arcane
Patron
-runs and looks like ass

I think they went too far with the smear shaders. Some guy used reshade to take some of the blurriness away; I think he also went a bit overboard, but it actually looks better than the base shaders:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/566090/discussions/0/1733213724891451329/?ctp=4#c1733213724892958893

aweigh's tweaks of
Code:
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1.20
r.TemporalAASharpness=1.20

Essentially do the same thing. Assuming you're using temporal AA, otherwise just the Tonemapper.Sharpen will suffice (I think). Also, disable motion blur and DOF. The blur kicks in when you simply rotate, making the smeared visuals smear-i-er. Regarding DOF, huge studios can't do it well - so I didn't even bother trying it here.

Shadenuat

Arcane
They decided to make weapon skills being part of the 4 skill mechanic
It's funny how even banal action RPGs have Standard Attack based on stats and equipped weapon, and this game actually doesn't. If you don't have skill, then regardless of your weapons, you cannot attack.

This, btw, makes investing into weapon skills for bards and mages a bad idea. Especially bards - at the very least you want a few of their buffs and high drunk-counter abilities - to use them, you also want spell points and other passives; equipping any weapon skill to that just weakens your bard. Mages, obviously, would end up with more skills than they can use just by following one of their skill leylines.

Eventually as you want to be effective you end up with a bunch of one-trick ponies that do same combo-wombo every fight and that is where party development ends.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That Mangar's tower bell puzzle. Anyone have the bell combination at the end of the puzzle? I did the sides and pulled the lever.
First you read the runes on the skulls front .. and back, green and red . Then you place those combinations on the wheels according the colors. Then a lever appears in the blood pool, it will raise the skulls, read them like music notes.
:negative:
I read it on steam,i have doing that,it seems that my game is bugged in this place and i get no final battle. Also i read that there is a stairs on a bridge with blood,they lead to the treasure. Hope that helps you.:salute:

Gord

Arcane
Eventually as you want to be effective you end up with a bunch of one-trick ponies that do same combo-wombo every fight and that is where party development ends.

That does sound pretty close to Bard's Tale trilogy, actually...

:troll:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Haha, they are not learning animals, are they. Same as after TTON launch, it's strikingly obvious that game has failed but they only respond to positive comments and act as if everything is going great.

Shit like this is why I can't take them seriously anymore.

Mortmal

Arcane
:negative:
I read it on steam,i have doing that,it seems that my game is bugged in this place and i get no final battle. Also i read that there is a stairs on a bridge with blood,they lead to the treasure. Hope that helps you.:salute:
yes i saw it, but that fight was labeled as overpowering , while everything else was trivial...

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, it seems its doing really bad, sales wise. Hope W2 will be better and have better reception if its good.

Music sounds pretty good tho.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it seems its doing really bad, sales wise. Hope W2 will be better and have better reception if its good.

Torment sales disappoint. PoE2 sales disappoint. BT4 sales disappoint. And whatever the Codex says, these are good games, loved by critics. But still falling short at the box office. Does this mean the end for the nostalgia ride for RPGs? This cannot be a coincidence. If Wasteland 3 also flops, we can say goodbye to these projects I'm afraid.

Edit: Oh we have Pathfinder next week. That will be a big milestone. If that fails, it's gameover.

But will it outsell Grimoire?
My RPG Maker game outsells Grimoire.
:troll:
I wish. :negative:

Kitchen Utensil

Torment sales disappoint. PoE2 sales disappoint. BT4 sales disappoint. And whatever the Codex says, these are good games, loved by critics. [...]

Yeah. Really impressive stuff...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom