Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I don't pretend to know anything about managing projects or developing RPGs (Fallen Gods has been five years of wrong turns and false starts), but it does seem to me that inXile might have fared better had their three games in some way used similar pipelines or engines or design approaches, such that lessons from Wasteland could be utilized in TTON, lesson in TTON used in BTIV, etc.
Interestingly enough, the same thing people have been saying about Troika long time ago. It would seem "some" developers are not learning animals.

On an unrelated note, it seems that Roqua completely lost his marbles because of BT4. I'm not complaining, it adds to the enjoyability of this thread.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Huh, is my Steam page wrong? I just went to Steam and BT4 isn't not even listed on the front page anymore (yesterday it was). But now it's not on Suggested, not on Recommended and not even in the "New Releases".
wtfamireading.png
Wtf?! That is bad. Very very bad.
It's at the 5th page of Top selling for me.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WL2 DC is very good.

Also
That was a thought I had this afternoon, but then I realized I would probably just be trading one buggy mess for another.

Actually BT IV release is very similar to KCD release. Buggy and completely unoptimized but with a lot of potential.
There are important problems though for InXile in this comparison:
a) They didn't get even the 1/100 of the hype
b) They built a game based on the nostalgia factor of a not-so-known old title
c) The graphical fidelity of the game does not in any way excuse such bad performance. KCD at least looked good even though it run like complete shit

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Its ToEE because you hate games with good combat. Both Arcanum and Bloodlines had bad combat, so they're clearly the ones you like.

I would say WL2 DC is top 10 for me. I like it more than FO 1/2 and Arcanum. TToN is definitely top 25 for me. I think it is clearly superior to PST in every possible way. Anyone who says PST had a better rpg system, chardev, or combat is a hipster retard and should be IP banned from this site.

Impeccable taste right there!
I would've thought impeccable taste implies some kind of standards and critical thinking but it looks like impeccable taste is liking every piece of shit that fits into the RPG category and liking it more than games that are SUPERIOR IN EVERY POSSIBLY WAY, just because hurr durr they're RPGs.

Kill yourself, retard. Just because you babble some incoherent shit on this forum it does not, in anyway, translate to support for inXile or the RPG industry. Go on Steam or whatever and tell them about it. Many people here actually supported inXile much more than you ever did. You're just talk and talk and insane ramblings. You're not supporting anything. You're just a shitty Cleve impersonator.

And I will continue to be the guy that is always right, cursed with impeccable taste and barely any games to play because I actually like the games in the genre named in this site's title.

Except given how you like any shit that's called RPG, you'll likely have more than enough to play and then cry about how the codex doesn't like it.

Meanwhile, people with actually good taste will in fact continue to have barely anything new to play.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
What exactly does WL2's DC add to the game, or change?

I've played WL2 a couple of times, seem to remember it was half-finished near the end

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
What exactly does WL2's DC add to the game, or change?

I've played WL2 a couple of times, seem to remember it was half-finished near the end

First of all it is generally much more polished, I didn't notice any bugs on my DC playthrough.
The whole second part got a pass-through and feels more "coherent" than the initial version.
Also a lot of mechanical changes, like how energy weapons work.
Also added Perks etc which make character building and combat somewhat more interesting.

That's what comes to my mind now

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
> doing puzzles for like 3 hours
> no banter from the companions, nothing
> just killing mobs and the occasional narration from some mouths,
> reached a puzzle with required me to construct a bridge,
> build bridge, solved another puzzle,
> tried to go back but there is no bridge because the world has reset for some reason,
> only option is to die,
> revive before the bridge puzzle,
> done it again, the same thing
> rage quit, uninstall.

This shit was not tested.
Playing the game.
You are shit at the game.
What a shitty broken game,i uninstall it!

You are fucking retard! You have to solve the puzzle at the end of the whole thing,the one with fire turning traps. LoL the game have a lot of problems but not this one,learn some basic logic you dipshit !

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I loved W2 but I don't see why I should utterly support their games when they don't even put party creation in a Bard's Tale game.
I can't wait for W3 not to have party creation either since obviously party creation is what made WL2 such a commercial failure and lack of party creation TTON and BT4 such big successes.

Jinn

Arcane
I posted on their steam forum bug thread about the weapon specialization skills not requiring that particular weapon to be equipped to use. For example, the "Swordsman: Novice" skill "Storm of Blades" being usable with an axe. I hope it's a bug, because if it's not, that's them just shooting their character progression system in the fucking foot.

Also asked them to make it required to have a bow to shoot an arrow, FFS

On a more positive note, I noticed something cool about entering encounters. It appears that depending on the direction you attack from on the exploration screen, the enemies will be arranged differently on the combat grid. Also, I've had party wipes a few times already on hard mode.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wait why are people complaining about fucking graphics.

Either the turn based combat is good or it's shit. It's a blobber what else is there to the game? If it's good then yay, if not then nay.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am a tad bit sad from the whole drama,it is shame that sunk because of poor programming and bugs. The game is pretty decent,it is not a bard's tale 4 or a classic rpg,but it is fun. Just had a really battle with a red monster,it was fun beating it in and remaining on one hit life. The game still have a lot of problems but it will be fun play for rpg fans.....after the patches. Still i will continue to explore game,even without the patches. Hope people give it a try in due time,it is decent rpg.

PS:What the fuck is wasteland 2 DC?

PSPS: Is the labyrinth game good or typical jap shit?

mondblut

Arcane
I've been saying WL2 DC is one of the best RPGs ever made since it came out. The way they managed to salvage the buggy, undercooked mess that was the vanilla and turn it into a truly great game is the reason I've never really written inXile off.

How are they different, anyway? I never played DC.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I've been saying WL2 DC is one of the best RPGs ever made since it came out. The way they managed to salvage the buggy, undercooked mess that was the vanilla and turn it into a truly great game is the reason I've never really written inXile off.

:rpgcodex:

First of all it is generally much more polished, I didn't notice any bugs on my DC playthrough.
The whole second part got a pass-through and feels more "coherent" than the initial version.
Also a lot of mechanical changes, like how energy weapons work.
Also added Perks etc which make character building and combat somewhat more interesting.

That's what comes to my mind now

... plus the graphics of course. They are much better in DC

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I am a tad bit sad from the whole drama,it is shame that sunk because of poor programming and bugs. The game is pretty decent,it is not a bard's tale 4 or a classic rpg,but it is fun. Just had a really battle with a red monster,it was fun beating it in and remaining on one hit life. The game still have a lot of problems but it will be fun play for rpg fans.....after the patches. Still i will continue to explore game,even without the patches. Hope people give it a try in due time,it is decent rpg.

Seriously? Wasteland 2 Director's Cut. And no, I haven't played it. Only played about 1/2 of the original edition of WL2.

imweasel

Wait why are people complaining about fucking graphics.
The game looks like it was made ~15 years ago, yet it runs like utter crap even on high-end machines. The gameplay seems to be decent from what I have seen so far, but the game is pure fucking shit from a technical standpoint. I am not sure what they spent 10 million dollars on, but it certainly wasn't on graphicsa engine programming or character models (which are so fugly, it is almost insulting).

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
https://wasteland2.inxile-entertainment.com/backer-information/release-faq check gameplay questions for a full list
It's not worth replaying, but if you've dropped or skipped the original it is worth checking, imho.
No fundamental differences, but a lot of polishing, balancing and even a couple of new systems like perks and targeting body parts in combat.
Plot is still shit though and the world has a Marvel level of believability.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
On a more positive note, I noticed something cool about entering encounters. It appears that depending on the direction you attack from on the exploration screen, the enemies will be arranged differently on the combat grid.

This is mentioned in a loading screen protip.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Seriously? Wasteland 2 Director's Cut. And no, I haven't played it. Only played about 1/2 of the original edition of WL2.
Yeah,seriously :),i played only half of the game on release and never touched it again. Got tired of picklocking boxes to find a bullet.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:
That Mangar's tower bell puzzle. Anyone have the bell combination at the end of the puzzle? I did the sides and pulled the lever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom