Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

pure combatfag RPGs

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Protip: Press Windows Key + R and type mspaint.exe to immediately bring it up, then press Contrl + V to paste the screenshot!

If you’re using Windows 10, press the Windows Key + PrintScreen button and it will take a screenshot and automatically save it in the Pictures folder. No need to monkey around with Paint. You will know it is working if the screen goes temporarily darker than normal. Give it a shot.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
that would work if the KotC window was at full screen resolution, as it is this will just create a screenshot of your desktop on which there will be a smaller KotC window, ie useless

Martyr

Arcane
mondblut and @ everyone else who might be interested: Natuk and Pirates of the Western Sea are playable, even if you have the mouse scrolling issue. if you can't see your characters anymore because the screen is jumping from one edge to the other after moving your mouse, just press C and the camera is focusing on your currently selected char. this means going into most battles blind, because you can not take a closer look at enemy positioning, but at least these games can be played. :incline:

Martyr

Arcane
my god, some parts of this thread will forever be evidence of my stupidity.
Natuk and Pirates of the Western Sea have "Scroll Delay" in their options. no need to center on your characters with C. and somehow I was too dumb to unzip Nahlakh correctly. Nahlakh, Natuk and Pirates run flawlessly now.
thanks again at octavius and mondblut for recommending them, they seem to be just what I'm looking for !

now back to the topic !
one question, that some of you might be able to answer: what about Grimoire ??
I've read all the usual propaganda about Grimoire being the best dungeon crawler since Wiz7, that it takes 600 hours for one playthrough and so on ...
all that aside, is this game actually good? how does it compare to Wiz7? is it story driven or could Grimoire be a quality recommendation in this thread about combat-heavy RPGs ???
and is it worth the money or would I be better off replaying Wiz7 ?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Martyr

It's going to be on sale for 9.99$ soon enough, there's no rush, besides, i wouldn't play it before the V2 arrives, it'll probably happen in your lifetime but you might have to consider talking about it to your children so they'll carry on and play it when it's released after your death in 60 years or so.

Quality wise, i want(ed) to like it but wizardry 7 is 100 times better, at the very least, well, it's new, if you played wiz 7 three times already, you might want to try the bastard retarded son.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
one question, that some of you might be able to answer: what about Grimoire ??
I've read all the usual propaganda about Grimoire being the best dungeon crawler since Wiz7, that it takes 600 hours for one playthrough and so on ...
all that aside, is this game actually good? how does it compare to Wiz7? is it story driven or could Grimoire be a quality recommendation in this thread about combat-heavy RPGs ???
and is it worth the money or would I be better off replaying Wiz7 ?

Yes, it is good and well worth the money. It is not story-driven any more than Wiz6-7 were.

Martyr

Arcane
:hmmm:

two completely opposite opinions ...
nonetheless, thanks to both of you Darth Canoli mondblut
initially I wanted to wait until Grimoire gets released on gog, but it seems like this is never going to happen and I'm really running out of patience right now.
I'm more than ready to buy it in an instant but I'm just not entirely sure if it is a good choice to pay 30€ for a Wiz7-like, when Wiz7 is within the reach of a double-mouseclick ...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Or you could try 7 mages if you didn't play it, not sure about the battle system yet as i just tried it for a couple of fights but the music and ambient is pretty damn good and there is some intelligent features i didn't see anywhere else (like instant travel to already visited places from the dungeon map you're in, you see that Ubisoft morons ? fast T.R.A.V.E.L.I.N.G ... )

Martyr

Arcane
Darth Canoli I've had this game on my wishlist for a long long time. haven't bought it yet because of the mixed reviews. but you seem to like it, otherwise you wouldn't have recommended it. always hard to filter through reviews to see if the criticism is valid or if the reviewer is just a retard. escpecially now, since I don't read steam reviews anymore :? too many "gaem is gud 20/10" - not recommended - or "zomfg bestest game evar!!!!!!!!11" - 0,2 hrs played - reviews there.

ManaJunkie Dreed I might keep on waiting until december/ january before buying Grimoire. to give a possible gog-release a last chance. but I really can't see that happening - it's already been over a year since the release and still no manual. why should he ever release it on gog if he hasn't done it by now?! if Grimoire is still steam-only in late december I'm going to buy it as a christmas present to myself. :smug:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Martyr
About 7 Mages

It's good but it's not exactly combat heavy, i finished the starting crypt and
killed the troll
, it's somewhat 1 or 2 hours of gameplay.

I like it, the city has one of the best ambient i've seen in a non Action graphic whore "RPG", graphics are very good to my standards (which are low, i think, as long as it's not ugly 3D or over-pixelated, i'm ok, usually), sounds are also very good to my "higher" standards on the matter, intro music is amazing.

As for the battle, i'm not quite sure yet, i enjoyed the spoiler battle, the other ones were just unchallenging (but were ok), monsters are animated, you can speed it up (and you probably should speed it to the maximum).

Looks like what BT4 should have been, there is a lot of bardic instruments and songs, spells and weapons skills have 5 level which you train by using them.
The character sheet has only 4 attributes which you can improve on level up.

I'm not sure if i like the possibility to split up the team during battle but it's nice outside to solve puzzles.
Puzzles are not a hassle in the first crypt although i was stopped by a simple one and had to check a walkthrough.

If there is a let's play somewhere showing the battle part, you should check it, everything else is great and the battle is fine but i'm not exactly sure, people say it's too easy with 7 mages (i only have 2 so far), i guess i'll have to switch to the hard mode from now (was playing in normal).

Martyr

Arcane
Go with Grimoire. It´s not "polished" as Wizardry 7 but more wicked and imaginative.
so would you actually say that Grimoire is better than Wizardry 7, despite being less polished? Asking Dreed and mondblut too, because they seem to agree with your statement !

I downloaded the SuperDemo 1.5 of Grimoire, why does it crash when turning on fullscreen mode??

Darth Canoli that actually sounds pretty good ! wishlisted again, will probably buy it in the next sale. and during christmas holiday I should be able to compare 7 Mages to Bard's Tale 4. hopefully BT4 will be patched up by then.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Go with Grimoire. It´s not "polished" as Wizardry 7 but more wicked and imaginative.
so would you actually say that Grimoire is better than Wizardry 7, despite being less polished? Asking Dreed and mondblut too, because they seem to agree with your statement !

I downloaded the SuperDemo 1.5 of Grimoire, why does it crash when turning on fullscreen mode??

I personnally think the game is better than Wizardry 7, or at least very close in quality. You should wait for V2 with a lot of improvements, it will be out next friday, or soon thereafter :ibelieveincleve:

The game had problems with fullscreen for some people when it came out, but I recall those were patched, the superdemo was not updated since 2013.

Martyr

Arcane
I personnally think the game is better than Wizardry 7, or at least very close in quality. You should wait for V2 with a lot of improvements, it will be out next friday, or soon thereafter :ibelieveincleve:

The game had problems with fullscreen for some people when it came out, but I recall those were patched, the superdemo was not updated since 2013.

thanks for the answer ! that's some high praise and it really makes me want to buy Grimoire right now ... if I shouldn't like it in the first 2 hours I could refund it, because I don't think that the rest of the game will be entirely different than those two hours ...
actually the screen size of the windowed game is fine, just found it confusing that the game refuses to start after turning on fullscreen :|

ManaJunkie

Arbiter

Darth Canoli that actually sounds pretty good ! wishlisted again, will probably buy it in the next sale. and during christmas holiday I should be able to compare 7 Mages to Bard's Tale 4. hopefully BT4 will be patched up by then.

It is very close in quality. it is better in quantity. But i grew up with wiz 6 and 7......bla, bla...special place...bla,bla...

Grimoire stimulates my brain the same way as the whole Savant Trilogy....a good game.

mondblut

Arcane

Probably not better, but scratches the same itch fine enough. If you already played Wizardry 7 to death, why not try something new?

Martyr

Arcane
Probably not better, but scratches the same itch fine enough. If you already played Wizardry 7 to death, why not try something new?
I've only played completed Wiz7 once :D but you're right, I already know Wiz7 so why not try something new of equal or higher quality :obviously: I guess Dreed is right that I should wait until V2 is released, but patience is not my strength.

Martyr

Arcane
updated my journal
T7Opagl.jpg

changes: Elex, Icewind Dale 2 and Silent Storm are gone. M&M 7 wants to be played, so does Dark Sun and Ravenloft (my gaming choice for Halloween!). oh and I've decided to replay all the original Gold Boxes in order instead of just replaying Pools of Darkness.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
In the meantime, there's also Low magic age, i like what they made of the rules and the combat is really good.

On the downside the game is still in development and being a roguelike of sort, there's a lot of random encounters.
I'd play it with 50% monsters on the map.

Or maybe it's better to wait for the 1.0 release, i bet it's going to happen before grimoire's V2.

Martyr

Arcane
In the meantime, there's also Low magic age, i like what they made of the rules and the combat is really good.

On the downside the game is still in development and being a roguelike of sort, there's a lot of random encounters.
I'd play it with 50% monsters on the map.

Or maybe it's better to wait for the 1.0 release, i bet it's going to happen before grimoire's V2.
I've got Lowa Magic Age on my wishlist, but early acces makes me want to puke ... never forget Towns ....
in which way is LMA a roguelike? I thought it was similar to Knights of the Chalice?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's nowhere near KotC, i mean, trash encounters is just what i've got, there is "boss" battles but it's probably deep down in dungeons.

Too many random encounters while travelling on the main map (maybe even 0-25% turn it into something closer to KotC, i'm not sure)

And "rogue-like", not really but i think they advertise their permadeth that way with no means to resurrect dead chars (so i guess they removed resurrect spells with that option on )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom