Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are the most :obviously: non-rpg games?

Astral Rag

Arcane

bb2.png

Falksi

Arcane
Super Mario World
Smash TV
Thunderforce 3
Your fave version of Street Fighter
Streets of Rage 2/3/5
The Legend of The Mystical Ninja
Devil Crash
Golden Axe
The Revenge of Shinobi
John Maddens 92
The Saboteur
GTA Vice City
God of War (original)
Soul Blade
The Warriors
Arkham Asylum
Dead Space
Saints Row 4
Far Cry 2
Tomb Raider 2013

DraQ

Arcane
This is a balance issue, not a lack of RPG elements, though :M
:decline:
Weapons being actually effective is definitely fucking not a balance issue.

Gear based progression and inventory feature in many non-rpgs.
An RPG must have stats (as opposed to state) differentiating characters - in particular different possible PCs.

Things like HP pool varying due to damage and healing or even attributes that autoincrease in pre-determined fashion as character gains XP and levels are state, not stats.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is a balance issue, not a lack of RPG elements, though :M
:decline:
Weapons being actually effective is definitely fucking not a balance issue.

Gear based progression and inventory feature in many non-rpgs.
An RPG must have stats (as opposed to state) differentiating characters - in particular different possible PCs.

Things like HP pool varying due to damage and healing or even attributes that autoincrease in pre-determined fashion as character gains XP and levels are state, not stats.
I said nothing about gear based progression, I just said that the issue I quoted is purely about balance. Do you think that because you can get Pyrotechnic Axe early in Arcanum, it's a decline?

DraQ

Arcane

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Not an exhaustive list, but some that came almost immediately to mind:

Marathon Trilogy
Bungie's Myth games
Dark Forces
Civilization IV
Red Alert 2
Freelancer
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Age of Wonders
Subnautica
Dwarf Fortress

sullynathan

Arcane
Not sure what the op is asking, it seems he has a different title for the content in the op. Are you asking for games called rpgs but aren't rpgs or just non rpgs that codex users like?

Generic-Giant-Spider

In the world of puzzle games, there are the normie peasants that played Tetris and Bejeweled.

Then there is the true aristocracy that played Intelligent Qube and Devil Dice.

Anyways here are some games I highly enjoyed and this isn't some list that's all some hypebeast "YOU GOTTA PLAY THIS" faggotry you've read twenty times over by now. I'm choosing games purely by nostalgic love.

Double Dragon 2: The Revenge - This was the first game I ever beat with another human being. It was an old neighbourhood friend. To this day we maintain an extremely strong psychic connection to one another. When he is in pain, so am I.

Streets of Rage 2 - It's the best beat 'em up of all time and I love it more than my family.

Shadow over Mystara - The best arcade beat 'em up with gorgeous graphics, explosive sound, and smooth as butter gameplay. You could play this son of a bitch with three other randoms at your arcade and you never knew who you'd get. Sometimes you'd be jamming with your pal, banging some shadow elves with your Dwarf/Cleric combos and a kid would come in, probably choose the Fighter and proceed to fuck you over by making the time expire and costing you your life. You couldn't intimidate them or tell them to go slash their throat (this was the 90s, so suicide was still viewed as a joke that only queers did) or their dad would beat you up. Great times. I would fuck this cabinet if I could. Full on pansexual style.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - This is still the best Mario game to date. I like that Nintendo eventually gave up on trying to succeed this game and put Mario in space and squirt stuff with waterguns and other stupid shit that somehow sells. This game was the best of its kind and still is. Now you'll get some little retard that marches along and says "Super Mario World was better." It wasn't and even if it was, SMB3 is better because it's on my list.

Contra: Hard Corps - I was deciding between Super C and Hard Corps but I think in the end I had to go with Hard Corps. This was a shoot-em-up for the ages. It was on the Genesis, so right away with the BLAST PROCESSING you knew it wasn't going to be some slow as shit jerk-off attempt like Contra 3 was. The bosses are amazing and screen filling, the gameplay is hectic, everything makes you go on this adrenaline rush.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - A lot of people say RE2 but RE3 is better. First off, RE2's big selling point was how you were out of the claustrophobic confines of the mansion and in a city gone to Hell. Just kidding, you spend ten minutes in the city and the rest of the game is in a police station that was built by Castlevania's Dracula on his day off. Nemesis, however, it gives you what you want. You go all around Raccoon City, you see the effects of what happened and the Nemesis himself was amazing as this relentless monster that would never stop hunting you. Up until this point, you weren't used to enemies that would run at you, use a rocket launcher, and seemed to never die. He was the Terminator of this series and you needed no goofy looking 'mutation' to keep things fresh. You heard "STARS" and you knew it was time to run with those bullshit tank controls battling you every frame of the way.

Manhunt - There have been a lot of good horror games, but Manhunt is one that pulls no punches to your balls and headbutts your mother while your dad watches. You don't need to "Pyramid Head" or "spooky Asian ghost girls" to make you feel the tension and dread. You got all these crazy fucks that want to film you dying. Great game, real violent, banned in 84 countries, retroactively created 20 serial killers, has an amazing soundtrack that you don't appreciate because you're a pussy.

Last edited by a moderator:

HansDampf

Arcane
Super Mario Bros. 3 - This is still the best Mario game to date. I like that Nintendo eventually gave up on trying to succeed this game and put Mario in space and squirt stuff with waterguns and other stupid shit that somehow sells. This game was the best of its kind and still is. Now you'll get some little retard that marches along and says "Super Mario World was better."
Because they can't beat SMB3.

Oracsbox

Cyberpunk for the Philips CD-i as a kid I loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Binky

Cipher
I'll list a few.

Sid Meier's Colonization - Kiss pinky ring or dump horses into the ocean? Sing Goodbye Horses.
Dungeon Keeper - A backhand every minute 10 seconds keeps the dungeon running smoothly.
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - "Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!" Sparkle the fuck off, Twilight.
Dreamweb - One simply must wear shades when killing people at night.
Sword of the Samurai - Tell him he's a coward whose ancestors hauled dung.
Master of Magic - Great Wyrm sure looks goofy, but will fuck your pansy ass army up.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
From what I've played:

Super Smash Bros. Mêlée
Devil May Cry 1/3
MGR
RE Remake
RE4
Metal Gear Solid 3: Substance
Thief 1/2
The Dark Mod
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory/Double Agent
Hitman: Blood Money
nuHITMAN
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Super Metroid
Metroid PRIME
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario 64
DOOM 1/2
Severance: Blade of Darkness
Demon Souls
Dark Souls 1/2
Nioh
Sonic Mania
Worms WMD
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Master Quest/Majora's Mask/Breath of the Wild
PORTAL 2
Rainbow Six 1/2/3/Siege
Alien Isolation
Amnesia

Metal Gear Solid 2

:whatho:

Deflowerer

Arcane
In the world of puzzle games, there are the normie peasants that played Tetris and Bejeweled.

Then there is the true aristocracy that played Intelligent Qube and Devil Dice.

The demo of Intelligent Qube used to freak the shit out of me when I was a child. What a game!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom