Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gwent: The Witcher Card game - standalone Gwent game - now with Rogue Mage standalone expansion

Erikolaz

Educated
  • Fixing the coin mechanic
Currently, going second can give players a significant advantage. We heard you — we will ‘fix the coin flip’ and are already testing possible solutions.

'Already'. :lol:

• Bringing back The Witcher
Homecoming will bring back a darker aesthetic and mood, more in sync with the original Witcher lore.

They just confirmed that they'll be keeping 'Shupe' as-is. The farting cartoon troll.

:decline:

Gerrard

Arcane
Dumbing down already.

Currently, going second can give players a significant advantage
""""CURRENTLY""""

It was the case since fucking Witcher 3 you dumb fucks.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

Don't like the feel of the new board and graphics, specially with those awful leader models awkwardly standing there. Honestly, the presentation was one of the better aspects of the game, don't know why they felt pressured to change it.

Cadmus

Arcane
I disagree. The cards finally look great and the UI is beautiful.
Fuck the 3D board and the leaders though.
Also the lower numbers are obviously bad and gonna lead to a power creep and then rebalancing again.
I also dislike the cards in hand being displayed in a fan, it's totally unnecessary and ghay. Why not just lay them out cleanly like we have now?
From the visual standpoint, I think this is great. Maybe I'm a retard for not wanting my games to look like shit though.

The moment in the challenger when they LOLZ JEBAITED us with the Gerardo statuetes was so fucking bad after having promised and delayed the showcase for months. I couldn't believe they are so retarded and and to my surprise the gay-ass faggot soy-boys on Leddit barely complained about it. What a shit-move.

This video also looks a bit old and I think the gutted the presentatin in the last moment cuz they were afraid it would look bad.

Hevnknekt

Educated
I'm optimistic about all the changes that were presented, except for the 3D leader models. They looked like awkward puppets. I imagine the human models in particular will look quite derpy.

It'll be interesting to see how delayed HC will be. I'll be surprised if it's released before December.

Overall I'm a happy troll boy though.

The moment in the challenger when they LOLZ JEBAITED us with the Gerardo statuetes was so fucking bad after having promised and delayed the showcase for months. I couldn't believe they are so retarded and and to my surprise the gay-ass faggot soy-boys on Leddit barely complained about it. What a shit-move.

Yeah that got a lot of negative blowback. The hosts took responsibility for it though. IIRC it was Ashlizzlle who thought it would be fun, with the Flake guy playing along. They said CDPR weren't involved.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are they doing another redesign? They have absolutely no idea what they are doing anymore, do they? Did they ever release Thronebreaker like they were supposed to like a year ago?

Absinthe

Arcane
Currently low expectations are had about Homecoming. The communication on upcoming changes has not been forthcoming. The last major update they did, Midwinter patch, was infamously bad and they promised not to combine major rebalances with content updates again and that they would keep the community in the loop. Right now Homecoming is precisely another drastic game overhaul without community input. The community by and large has a strongly negative opinion of new changes like how rows will be reduced to 2 (down from 3), bronzes will be reduced to 2-of (down from 3), and decks will be min-capped at 30 cards (up from 25). The aesthetic changes have also received some criticism for detracting from the original cardgame/taverngame atmosphere and the weird curved hand change is not really appreciated either. You still have some CDPR fanboys going HYPE!!! but among higher-level players the impression is lukewarm at best. Gwent has been bleeding a lot of players since Midwinter as well, and judging by how clueless Gwent devs seem, I am expecting Homecoming to be another Midwinter update.

Gwent seems to be getting worse here, not better.

Hevnknekt

Educated
Currently low expectations are had about Homecoming. The communication on upcoming changes has not been forthcoming. The last major update they did, Midwinter patch, was infamously bad and they promised not to combine major rebalances with content updates again and that they would keep the community in the loop. Right now Homecoming is precisely another drastic game overhaul without community input. The community by and large has a strongly negative opinion of new changes like how rows will be reduced to 2 (down from 3), bronzes will be reduced to 2-of (down from 3), and decks will be min-capped at 30 cards (up from 25). The aesthetic changes have also received some criticism for detracting from the original cardgame/taverngame atmosphere and the weird curved hand change is not really appreciated either. You still have some CDPR fanboys going HYPE!!! but among higher-level players the impression is lukewarm at best. Gwent has been bleeding a lot of players since Midwinter as well, and judging by how clueless Gwent devs seem, I am expecting Homecoming to be another Midwinter update.

Gwent seems to be getting worse here, not better.

Based on my experience there's mixed expectations, but leaning more towards the positive side than the negative.

I don't recall the specifics about a promise not to rebalance the game without community feedback. I bet it was made prior to the decision about reinventing Gwent though. They've basically been creating a new game, and I can't blame them for not involving the basic bitch community in the process. They've been running a private test server involving many dedicated veterans and pro players.

Haven't heard much criticism of the 2 rows lately. I think most critics were satisfied when they learned how those rows will have meaning (card deploy abilities based on row placement) as opposed to the bland 3 rows we've got today.

The reactions to the aesthetic changes (darker and grittier) have been overwhelmingly positive, but mixed in regards to the 3D model leaders (which have been improved now and look better in the latest video).

I'm very skeptical about the 2 Bronze copy limit and the increased deck size. I don't know how the new provisioning system will work yet though, so I'll reserve my judgement for now.

It's a bit concerning that they haven't been able to show us more by now, considering that the release is in 1 month.

Absinthe

Arcane
Based on my experience there's mixed expectations, but leaning more towards the positive side than the negative.

I don't recall the specifics about a promise not to rebalance the game without community feedback. I bet it was made prior to the decision about reinventing Gwent though. They've basically been creating a new game, and I can't blame them for not involving the basic bitch community in the process. They've been running a private test server involving many dedicated veterans and pro players.
Trouble is, the community didn't really ask for a new game. Not to mention the update is branded as Homecoming and billed as a return to Gwent's roots, which this update obviously is not.

Haven't heard much criticism of the 2 rows lately. I think most critics were satisfied when they learned how those rows will have meaning (card deploy abilities based on row placement) as opposed to the bland 3 rows we've got today.
It still remains to be seen how the rows will have meaning, honestly. You'll notice that so far what we've seen isn't so much "rows matter" as it is "cards have a choice of two deploy abilities" and it's just that row placement is how you flip the switch on which deploy you want out of your card. As it stands I still haven't seen any intrinsic value out of the rows themselves, and it's still a major question how weather effects as well as row targeting are going to play out. In the current gwent, rows could definitely use improvement, but positioning is still a meaningful and careful tactical decision, and those positioning options are being reduced now.

The reactions to the aesthetic changes (darker and grittier) have been overwhelmingly positive, but mixed in regards to the 3D model leaders (which have been improved now and look better in the latest video).
Aesthetic changes have been more mixed from what I've seen, although there have been some fanboys eating it up, but fanboys gonna fanboy. I've also definitely seen some people very unhappy with trying to make Gwent look like a battlefield instead of a card game spent chilling in the tavern. Personally I lean more to the latter camp but it's not something I honestly care about. My biggest aesthetic complaint so far is that the new hand layout seems less helpful than the current UI where you can actually see your cards. I've definitely heard more complaints about the new leader depictions than about the other stuff, though.

My other complaint about layout/interface is that the game should really consider integrating gwentup functionality already. It also seems like they haven't really taken clear steps to make it more obvious what a person is doing. Sometimes when a person uses Assire/Nenneke you don't exactly know what they shuffled back into their decks, for instance. Or if a player is discarding a doomed card it can be unclear what exactly they discarded, which fucks your ability to anticipate their future plays. There needs to be a clear gamelog at least. The current display is a joke and a lot of high-level players rely on gwentup to inform them of the actual gamestate.

I'm very skeptical about the 2 Bronze copy limit and the increased deck size. I don't know how the new provisioning system will work yet though, so I'll reserve my judgement for now.
I'm worried about the provisioning system myself because there are some cards that are very strong as a combo and yet not that good played separately. Letho + Regis is probably the most famous example of a strong 2-card combo where you probably wouldn't want to run either of them separately. How do you allocate provision costs for them? I suspect they are not going to do provision cost taxes for specific card combos. Instead the cards will be either overcosted or undercosted, depending on how they're used. Point compression also seems like it'll reduce the amount of balance fine-tuning and makes me wonder how well engine cards will work in the new homecoming update. I'm expecting a reduction in engines because there is a major difference between a 1 point engine when people are averaging 12 points per card and a 1 point engine when people are averaging 6 points per card.

It's a bit concerning that they haven't been able to show us more by now, considering that the release is in 1 month.
That's a serious cause for concern, honestly. I'm left with the impression that the gwent team honestly doesn't know what they're doing and they're afraid to show it. It's also cute how Gwent is still in beta but it's very obvious that the playerbase is not afforded the information or the opportunity to provide feedback that real beta testers receive. "Beta" here just refers to a soft launch where they sell an unfinished product and reserve the right to make sweeping changes. So people have been depositing money into a game that keeps getting overhauled, with them cut out of the loop on how it will change. Bit of a bait-and-switch there. I've already seen one guy demand from CDPR a refund if Homecoming is going to overhaul gwent like it currently appears to.

Last edited:

Grubba

Arcane

Surely this guy's big smile and thumbs-up are a sign that things are moving in a good direction....right? Right?

I'm amazed that this game is still hanging on somehow. It's unbelievable how badly they botched the damn thing, they had a golden opportunity to take a slice of Hearthstone's pie and they fucked it into the dirt. I laugh at the youtube/twitch personalities who gleefully quit their jobs to focus on this game, how dumb they must feel.

Latro

Arcane
if I was CDprojekt I'd just release homecoming and then pretend the entire thing never happened, no way it can compete with Valve's card-game or magic:arena. they should have left beta by last year to prepare for the valve game, but they screwed it up

Grubba

Arcane
Gwent in a nutshell:
mistakesdemotivator_1024x1024.jpeg

Gerrard

Arcane
Surely this guy's big smile and thumbs-up are a sign that things are moving in a good direction....right? Right?

I'm amazed that this game is still hanging on somehow. It's unbelievable how badly they botched the damn thing, they had a golden opportunity to take a slice of Hearthstone's pie and they fucked it into the dirt. I laugh at the youtube/twitch personalities who gleefully quit their jobs to focus on this game, how dumb they must feel.
You can tell there's a gun out of the frame pointed at him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jezal_k23

How did they fuck it up? I've not been following it, but I remember about a year ago it was getting very popular and people WERE going from Hearthstone to Gwent when Blizzard was fucking up the expansions. Now it does seem to have died, what happened? How?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
They didn't have a clear direction, they kept trying to casualize it to engage a bigger audience and nothing stuck until they basically said "we're going to start from scratch" and here we are now.

On related news looks like you can already preorder Thronebreaker:

Grubba

Arcane
they kept trying to casualize it to engage a bigger audience and nothing stuck until they basically said "we're going to start from scratch" and here we are now.

Pretty much this. Things started to go sour shortly after they moved to the open beta. Introduced new cards that were unbalanced, added new leaders and changed existing ones, kept tinkering with weather effects, nerfed gold cards...They would make all these sweeping changes that drastically changed the game, all in one patch, then do it all again a month later. People got tired of having to relearn the game every few weeks and stopped playing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got this email:

Dear Gamer,

As you may have heard, GWENT is soon going out of beta — we’ll be launching on October 23rd (PC, GOG.com) and December 4th (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One).

Along with the changes to be brought by GWENT’s upcoming update (A.K.A. Homecoming), we decided to streamline GWENT’s player data flow. Our idea was to simplify registration on PC and to have an easily-accessible, single point of contact for all data requests you may have.

As you know, we have been creating GWENT together with GOG, our sister company that happens to be also our Group expert in servers, user support and IT security. Until now both GOG and CD PROJEKT were responsible in some extent for your data. We decided it will be more reasonable to have all in one hands, that is: GOG’s.

In lawyer talk, GOG will now be your “personal data controller”. What that means is they will be responsible for your PC game-related personal data in GWENT (so if e.g. you want to learn more about how we process your data, you can contact them directly). They will also collect your contact details if you wish to receive any news or information about games & services from CD PROJEKT Group.

CD PROJEKT will manage your personal data in connection with GWENT on PCs only in a very limited number of situations. For example, if you provide us with information about bugs, we might need some information about you (e.g. your username and information about the match in which the bug appeared) in order to fix them. Also, in case you participate in GWENT MASTERS, CD PROJEKT will still process your data to make these tournaments happen, show data on the leaderboards etc.

Nothing changes with the way how the game works — GWENT is still the card game you expect it to be, still free to play, and we (CD PROJEKT and GOG) still work really hard to make it better with each update.

All changes are reflected in the legal documents of GOG and CD PROJEKT which can be found here:

NvE_XIUYUkxaz1pKbki-GXsa5g7ZcPiaLz3xXs1jlGlntymjO4pK3tpLxUDwomaC1nm-7G2_0ZG2X-EuGhNLLcerKldazIrpv2q2uCiie9jY_d7d_1NoIPwA9qwNbVg=s0-d-e1-ft

GWENT User Licence Agreement

NvE_XIUYUkxaz1pKbki-GXsa5g7ZcPiaLz3xXs1jlGlntymjO4pK3tpLxUDwomaC1nm-7G2_0ZG2X-EuGhNLLcerKldazIrpv2q2uCiie9jY_d7d_1NoIPwA9qwNbVg=s0-d-e1-ft

CD PROJEKT S.A. Privacy Policy

GOG Privacy Policy

You will also see these documents when first logging into GWENT after October 23rd. These documents become binding in 30 days.

If you have any questions concerning your data or how it’s processed, please contact GOG directly at privacy@gog.com. If you have any questions about these changes, we are always at your disposal at: legal@cdprojektred.com.

Best regards,
Your friendly legal team at CD PROJEKT

GWENT is still the card game you expect it to be
The hell it is you potato eating sacks of shit, bring it back to closed beta or even, god help us, open beta. :mob:
Played an obscene amount of this shit and getting a full premium collection doesn't mean anything when the game itself goes to pot.

This shit's live now. Will take some play to build a more reasonable impression of it, but first glance is god fucking awful. Game also looking fairly dead for their big fucking launch since I played a single game in ranked, won, and I'm now in the top 1,000 in the North American leaderboards because of it. And don't even get me started on the autistic shrieking that the new card drawing system brings about. Had a round 2 where the correct move was just playing some garbage not to try to bleed my opponent of cards but just to get the cards out of my hand so I could get the full 3 card draw for round 3. God damn it.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Shame they removed faction challenges. I realized that was one part of Gwent I actually enjoyed because it had story snippets. Thronebreaker it is when they put it on sale, I guess.

J1M

Arcane
So far Thronebreaker has good production values, but doesn't understand the deckbuilding genre.

In the first chapter only about 3 battles actually have 3 rounds (most interesting part of Gwent).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom