Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

newtmonkey

Arcane
Impressions from fantadomat almost made me consider giving the game a second chance, but I'll wait for patches to come out. I don't care about the performance/graphics; it looked decent enough and ran okay for me. I'm more concerned about the bugs people have mentioned. I really don't like fixed encounters, but I could get over it if the exploration is fun enough. M&MX was right on the borderline for me; although it had fixed encounters gating you along a pretty linear path, the rest of the mechanics were pretty typical. I just dunno if I can get into fixed encounters + this weird Hearthstone-like combat.

I feel like the game doesn't really have an audience. People who loved BT or even Wiz/M&M series and have been waiting for something similar aren't gonna like this. If you take that (admittedly small) audience away, what's left for a game called "Bard's Tale 4?" That guy that liked Bard's Tale 2004? He's thinking, wtf happened to BT 2 and 3. I guess they were just hoping to attract a wider audience with the combat system? I really don't get to whom they are trying to sell this game.

Revenant

"Games are very educational. Scrabble teaches spelling, Monopoly teaches cash-flow management, and D&D teaches us to loot the bodies" t. based Steve Jackson

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
I guess they were just hoping to attract a wider audience with the combat system? I really don't get to whom they are trying to sell this game.

Untitled1.png

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron
As for "is this flopping?", let me just say that the game is currently being played by less than 1500 people on Steam. T:ToN (which did flop) had over 7000 concurrent players after release.

The genre is the nichest RPG genre in existence.
Didn't stop MMX from having 8k peak concurrent players.
To be fair Might & Magic is a much bigger and more recognized franchise and was when MMX was released - compared to Bard's Tale.
It makes the description on steam so much more ironic:
The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep is the triumphant return of one of the most iconic RPG series of all-time.
Sorry but no, M&M or Wizardry or Ultima were iconic series and even those are probably barely recognized by younger generation. Bard's Tale was just one of many titles/series from that era.

bataille

Arcane
That skyrim ending is a perfect punch line. The gradual increase in how preposterous the comparisons are eclipses with the alpha and omega of games.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It just struck me that those ads are kind of like the ones that used to run on the Codex about how if you like RPGs, you'd be great at online poker.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
They should just market directly to the Hearthstone/CCG crowd. There's a lot of them.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Serus exactly my point. I knew very little about Bard's Tale even though I'm an "RPG nerd". Granted I was never into blobbers but I had friends that were passionate about M&M and Wizardry.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not sure combat is the issue, seems to be a grog complaint. All the streams I watched explicitely said how much they like the combat and those guys are no dummies, one was a literal Codexer. Bad reviews all focus on terrible performance and other technical issues.

However, I doubt it would have sold like hot potatos even with optimal performance. The bad reviews certainly don't help but I'm not sure if there was any hype train to be derailed to begin with.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The game is done for, it's on 36th place on steam 1 day after release and it has negative reviews, this is the worst combo you could have for a niche game. Also, this game cost almost 10 milions and you know what, I just don't see where all the moolah went, the VO is cheap as everyone sounds like some random yokel from the hells of Scotland, the design is simplistic and there's a lot of reused assets, the game was barely advertised so where the hell did those 10 jilions went?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
InXile panders to nostalgia obsessed losers and makes major dough off of them on their scam websites such as Fig and then proceeds to release something trash, before doing it all again 2 years later. It's a cycle of :fallout3:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
InXile panders to nostalgia obsessed losers and makes major dough off of them on their scam websites such as Fig and then proceeds to release something trash, before doing it all again 2 years later. It's a cycle of :fallout3:
Actually it seems it doesn't work that well. This thing (BT4) will flop very badly and last game despite being a much better magnet for nostalgia (P:T being actually popular) wasn't financially successful either AFAIK. It only really worked the first time with Wasteland 2. Which means that we are probably approaching the end of the "cycle".

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Serus It doesn't matter, it paid for itself because it was crowdfunded. Probably cost twenty bucks to make and they just pocketed the rest.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Those ads were probably procedurally generated.

Fargo should have consulted with Cleveland Blakemore. He knows a thing or two about the art of making an epic blobber.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom