Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
... I'll try to ignore all the bugs and glitches you guys have encountered. It's all peanuts. I'll now start to read the manual and fantasize about my future party...

... opens up manual

xc5e8j.jpg

:abyssgazer:

Jinn

Arcane
Couple things I've noticed about combat that make it a little more fun than I initially thought.

-There are actually % chances of landing and receiving critical hits.
-Enemies (and presumably players?) can deal friendly fire if their allies are in the way of a 2 or 3 grid-line attack.
-There are instances where there will be several consecutive waves of encounters - so you finish a battle, and are immediately thrown into the next one if there are more enemies in the direct vicinity.
-By forcing enemies to move, you are essentially causing them to lose an action.
-Powerful abilities require a period of focus to pull off, which can be interrupted from either side by a mental damage attack as opposed to a physical damage attack.

I can see how some of these factors could make larger scale battles much more interesting.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
P̷̼̻̳̩̫ͦ͑ͨͧ͆̄l̊͛̎̿҉ạ̸̟̣̏͗̈́̒͂͆y̬̰͇͎̳ͨ̏͝ ͐̊ͯ̈́͆҉͇͖̗t̟̺̪͎̝͎̓h͚̰̔̿ę͚͕̙͂ͯ ̹͙̱͍̺͊̊͂ͫ͊g̲͚̣̩̬̅ͬå͇̮̹̠͈͉ͩ̾ͤm̵̪͋̋̓e̯ͤͧ̃ ͔̟̜̳̤̭@̫̦͔̏͒ͥͩ̾͊t̍̉͌͞h̡͈̼͈͈͇ḛͫ͌̊̈́̐͆S̆͠a͇̤͔͇͓̒͆̋̆̊͋̿v̈́̕a̴̗̥̳͎͍̣̅n̷͈͐̿́ͭͬt̴͈̒̽

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I don't know about the game itself, I haven't played it. Though the oversimplified mechanics sound terrible. I don't care about the performance much, it will be patched to a reasonable state sooner or later and I'm not in a hurry, i'll play it when it's ready. However, this thread in the last 20 or so pages, delivers! We got the usual suspects who are shilling, being retards, criticizing for all the wrong reasons ("game doesn't run 120+fps, hurr, durr"), etc... Fun thread, would play again.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can someone explain why grid movement would be better? For the nostalgia factor or what?
I'm honestly asking, I'm not a blobber fan in general
I thought it was sheer nostalgia for a long time, but it can inform level design and interaction as well. In grid it's much easier for the "negative space" to become visible to the player, as in "Well I took 8 steps that way but only 3 steps this way, is there a hidden room between there?"

No idea why it couldn't just start with the adventurer's guild getting raided and you escaping with the hobo in a cutscene. The town walk is completely unnecessary.
It's there to establish the first act villains and the context of the opening story arc. I get that some folks just want tits and explosions but they were going for actual storytelling here.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
It's there to establish the first act villains and the context of the opening story arc. I get that some folks just want tits and explosions but they were going for actual storytelling here.
In a way that, from the description, sounds totally unsuitable for interactive media.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Admittedly it is a bit "random" as an intro.. It doesn't fully fit with the introductory video and most importantly I didn't get what the connection of our character is with the whole situation.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

dungeon siege 1 beginning with actual storytelling where random farmer approaches you and dies saying "THE KRUG ARE ATTACKING" is better at actual storytelling than the garbage beginning of bard's tale 4

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Though the oversimplified mechanics sound terrible. However, this thread in the last 20 or so pages, delivers! We got the usual suspects

The oversimplification is overblown. Chardev is bad, sadly, everything else is fine.

As for the thread, I see people falling in two camps - those who can't stand the game and those who have played it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Some people who actually played the game also brought that point, you just chose to ignore that fact, no surprise here. Confirmation bias is a bitch.
Having said that, I plan to wait a few patches before not removing it from inventory and seeing for myself. Or at the very least to wait for detailed reviews made by prestigious members of the Codex. :obviously:

For the time being this thread brings enough entertainment as it is.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
However, this thread in the last 20 or so pages, delivers! We got the usual suspects who are shilling, being retards, criticizing for all the wrong reasons ("game doesn't run 120+fps, hurr, durr"), etc... Fun thread, would play again.

Yes, I am reading this thread with pure enjoyment, even though BT4 is propably not a game for me (not a fan of blobbers).

But all these people complaining about frames per second and graphical settings...

I thought being a graphics whore was despised on the Codex? I guess not when it comes to InXile :)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Admittedly it is a bit "random" as an intro.. It doesn't fully fit with the introductory video and most importantly I didn't get what the connection of our character is with the whole situation.
I thought it was weird at first too when I played the beta. Then a few hours in it began to gel with other events in the game. It's not as arbitrary as it first appears.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
... I'll try to ignore all the bugs and glitches you guys have encountered. It's all peanuts. I'll now start to read the manual and fantasize about my future party...

... opens up manual

xc5e8j.jpg

:abyssgazer:

Where did the intern whom was in charge of the manual disappear ?

Oh, wait, was the intern in charge of the whole game ?

hobo guy left the party and stole my fucking boots :argh:

You can't trust anyone these days ... :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom