Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

pure combatfag RPGs

mondblut

Arcane
mondblut actually I've had the same problem with Fantasy General. but there was a guide on gog how to edit the DosBox settings. but neither Natuk nor PotWS are Dos-games ... tried the compatibility modes but nothing works, so I guess these games are unplayable to me. what a bummer.

Well, you could run them from inside a Virtual PC Windows XP installation if all else fails. I've replayed the 2005 Grimoire version under Windows 7 that way a few years ago.

vota DC

Augur
vota DC Taka-Haradin puolipeikko so how good are Jagged Alliance 1 and Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games compared to Jagged Alliance 2? and are the expansions of JA2 also worth playing?

JA2 expansions feel obsolete, you can already have different experience with many modes included in JA2 1.13, there is even zombie mode.
JA1 is about freeing an island, the mechanics are a little different than JA2 (for example mercs can improve only at the end of the day).
JA Deadly Games is a lot difference because time is a factor, you can't hide too much and wait for the enemy to do some wrong move because the turns are limited and once the time is finished the mission is failed: not only it counts as a failure and some mercenary could quite but also you don't get paid at all. There isn't any mine to get income. Some missions can have unlimited turns and in that case is more similar to JA2. While there is no epic campaign the replay value is huge, not only the mission editor which I already mentioned, but also there is a random mission generator and you can even play with an infinite campaign...training can be a huge factor since you pay only 2/3 salary a Merc to train and usually learn quite fast, wasting a slot for people like Turtle (95$ level 2) can be a good idea.

Martyr

Arcane
octavius I've renamed the .exe into .zip and unzipped the files. then drag and drop the unzipped .exe onto DosBox. there is only the .exe and no .bat ........
:? just had an idea, maybe abandonia or MyAbandonware have Nahlakh. never had any problems with games from those two sites.
edit: same files on MyAbandonware as on Tom Proudfoots website, same "Overlay error" ...

mondblut nice ! I didn't know about that so thanks for mentioning this possible solution !

vota DC whew, this sounds freaking amazing ! insta-download ! bought Deadly Games 3 years ago but never played it; now's the time to change that.

mondblut

Arcane
octavius I've renamed the .exe into .zip and unzipped the files. then drag and drop the unzipped .exe onto DosBox. there is only the .exe and no .bat ........

There is "n.bat", although it does nothing but launch nahlakh.exe

I can only suggest to put more effort into it than dragging something onto something :roll: I've downloaded nahlakh130.exe, unzipped it (it couldn't launch to self-extract on its own for some reason) and moved the folder to my "dosbox hdd folder". Make sure to keep the folder name 8.3 compliant, ofc (no more than 8 symbols). Then I run my basic dos shortcut from d-fend (which launches norton commander from dos on that hdd folder), browsed to nahlakh folder and run n.bat without issues.

I am sure it can be done without NC, the standart dosbox/d-fend way with creating a profile for a game executable.

Martyr

Arcane
mondblut yeah, but you've obviously a lot more experience than me with these kinds of problems ...
my only experience with DosBox is through gog games (which launch automatically) and abandonware games (which have all launched through drag & drop). but thanks for the details of how you got the game to work, I'll do my best in following these instructions.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Sjukob

Arcane
MV5BNDM2ZWZkOTQtYzE3Mi00NTA0LTlmNjgtNWZmM2E2YTk5YWUxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjg0OTA3Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Yeah it's an RTS/RPG hybrid but it's still good.

Martyr

Arcane
what a shame that I can't take screenshots of Knights of the Chalice (KotC is one of two games which I can't take screenshots of, the other one being KingComrade Kingdom Come) :( but KotC really is fantastic, this game can't be praised enough !!

Sjukob yes, Spellforce was one of my favorite games back when it was released. I really should revisit that game!

vota DC thanks again for recommending Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games ! JADG indeed is even more focused on combat - the whole strategy part is gone. short mission briefing, hiring mercs through A.I.M. and the mission starts. and turn-limit to add challenge. pure heaven ! I guess I even prefer Deadly Games to Jagged Alliance 2 !

so all in all KotC should take a pretty high position in my combatfag top 10. maybe somewhere around places 6-10. and JA2 is replaced by JADG.

these games
JgNwZgc.png
should keep me busy until ~ January - February. also looking forward to finally playing Elex. and time has come for my annual playthrough of Bully. because, you know, school has started again ;)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
combatfag
Why are you trying to make this a thing? It makes no sense. How can fighting stuff make you faggy? It is the exact opposite. Story fags are fags because they are choosing to spend their time reading second rate shit about fairies and pixies when they could just fuck off and watch Harry Potter or something. There is nothing faggy about combat. Your post makes you sound retarded. Also there are only a few games that are combat focused and most games are shit at it.

Martyr

Arcane
Why are you trying to make this a thing? It makes no sense. How can fighting stuff make you faggy? It is the exact opposite. Story fags are fags because they are choosing to spend their time reading second rate shit about fairies and pixies when they could just fuck off and watch Harry Potter or something. There is nothing faggy about combat. Your post makes you sound retarded. Also there are only a few games that are combat focused and most games are shit at it.
welcome back :D
it's a term that is commonly used on this forum. so far I've seen storyfag, combatfag, gameplayfag, explorationfag and I think I saw an atmospherefag, too. so it's not a new invention by me. ;)

Serus

Arcane
Patron
welcome back :D
it's a term that is commonly used on this forum. so far I've seen storyfag, combatfag, gameplayfag, explorationfag and I think I saw an atmospherefag, too. so it's not a new invention by me. ;)
I might have used some of those myself but he does have a point. And in fact only the "storyfag" is really well established, all the others are just made after it to my knowledge. We also have or had other forum-only terms with similar (though not exactly same) meaning. For example a "mondbluttian" - after a certain old and well known and vocal ruskie nihilist member of the community who even posted on this very page. Still, those "-fag" terms are somewhat useful so I wouldn't be too anal about it.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Has no one mentioned the original Bard’s Tale trilogy, which has recently been remastered? The game is like 95% combat and 5% going back to town to heal, level and buy or sell stuff.

I beat the first game yesterday in about 34 hours, and the combats were amazingly fun. I forgot how much fun these games could be.

yfbq.jpg

Martyr

Arcane
Has no one mentioned the original Bard’s Tale trilogy, which has recently been remastered? The game is like 95% combat and 5% going back to town to heal, level and buy or sell stuff.
yes, surprisingly the BTs get almost no love on this forum. wonder why, haven't played them yet so I can't comment on their quality. but thanks for recommending, always wanted to give them a try !

I mean, essentially any turn-based blobber immediately qualifies.
that's true! care to mention your favorite blobbers?
my favorites are Wizardry 1, 6, 7, 8 - Elminage Gothic - Might & Magic 1-5 & 7. as far as I can remember I didn't play much more than these. tried Grimrock, Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master but didn't like them, real-time blobbing just feels off :?
oh and Dragon Wars was immensely enjoyable.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
We share very similar tastes my dude. I'm quite behind on the Might and Magics, tho, only played MMX and... it was "underwhelming" to say the least.

Martyr

Arcane
We share very similar tastes my dude. I'm quite behind on the Might and Magics, tho, only played MMX and... it was "underwhelming" to say the least.
I'd recommend starting with M&M 3 and then playing them in order. somehow I don't like M&M 6 that much, which is funny because it got most votes in a poll here. but I like M&M 7 ( I guess that's because of the epic soundtrack of that game) although it is identical to M&M 6. haven't played M&M 8, 9 and 10.
and I managed to finish Wizardry 1 but couldn't make it through M&M 1 & 2, so I guess they could be more hardcore than Wiz1 ?! or it was just because I played M&M 1&2 before playing Wiz1, so I was less experienced. I guess it's time to retry the first two M&Ms :|

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
what a shame that I can't take screenshots of Knights of the Chalice (KotC is one of two games which I can't take screenshots of, the other one being KingComrade Kingdom Come) :( but KotC really is fantastic, this game can't be praised enough !!
Another insurmountable problem! First of all you might benefit from reading this:
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/HowToPlay.htm
Second, there's an ingame help which also pretty much explains everything. To produce a screenshot you press alt+print screen which copies a screenshot into the clipboard so you can paste it into some paint program. It does not actually produce a file. You have to paste it into MS paint and then save it yourself.

Martyr

Arcane
Another insurmountable problem! First of all you might benefit from reading this:
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/HowToPlay.htm
Second, there's an ingame help which also pretty much explains everything. To produce a screenshot you press alt+print screen which copies a screenshot into the clipboard so you can paste it into some paint program. It does not actually produce a file. You have to paste it into MS paint and then save it yourself.
ah yes, I haven't tried copying a screenshot into Paint because I've gotten so used to games automatically creating a file by themselves. but let's see if this works with KotC ... if I try the same procedure which you've described with Kingdom Come, I just get a black picture.
and just tried it, it works. thanks !

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I'd recommend starting with M&M 3 and then playing them in order. somehow I don't like M&M 6 that much, which is funny because it got most votes in a poll here. but I like M&M 7 ( I guess that's because of the epic soundtrack of that game) although it is identical to M&M 6. haven't played M&M 8, 9 and 10.
and I managed to finish Wizardry 1 but couldn't make it through M&M 1 & 2, so I guess they could be more hardcore than Wiz1 ?! or it was just because I played M&M 1&2 before playing Wiz1, so I was less experienced. I guess it's time to retry the first two M&Ms :|

Might & Magic II is a classic and one of the best in the series. Skip the first one if you have to, as the second is an improvement in almost every aspect.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Protip: Press Windows Key + R and type mspaint.exe to immediately bring it up, then press Contrl + V to paste the screenshot!

Martyr

Arcane
Might & Magic II is a classic and one of the best in the series. Skip the first one if you have to, as the second is an improvement in almost every aspect.
I guess I'll start with M&M 1 and just see how that goes, since I'm a lot more experienced with blobbers now than I was years ago. but if I fail again, I'll skip 1 and play 2 instead. but I might have to play M&M 7 first, somehow I'm craving that game right now. :?

Protip: Press Windows Key + R and type mspaint.exe to immediately bring it up, then press Contrl + V to paste the screenshot!

mah gurls are saying "hello" :salute:
JYfMppc.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
KOTC is a classic for the ages. Only the warped mind of a true autist could've conceived it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom