Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

DeepOcean

Arcane
Boy, if people thought Might and Magic X was popamole and "bad" blobber, you gotta check this game.

Not even sure what to think about it for now. But if you like "blobbers", it's not that.
Let me guess: "We need to modernize the blobber genre by not making a blobber?"

Deleted Member 22431

If Fargo's numbers are true, then inXile invested ~$8.2 million in the game in addition to Kickstarter. Where did they get that much money? Wasteland 2 has been their only big release, and did it make that much of a profit? They don't even have a publisher this time.
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut owners - 801,114

It was a sucessful title, especially considering how fast they released the game. I think PoE2 costed more than that. Larian wasted twice that amount on DOS1, with a team of 40. DOS2 had a team of 130! These numbers are misleading.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The impression I have by the trailers is that this is some sort of low budget linear walking simulator with light puzzle based combat encounters with very weak RPG elements, man, fixed damage with strength modifier being the damage you do is worse than even some popamole RPG games. I would expect this sort of stuff from as phone game.
Yeah that sounds about right, especially phone game comparison.

Also I got armored dwarf that enemies just can't wound and made 20 fried meats and soon will probably have enough ingredients for 100 more healing items judging by how it goes.

I also just seen enemy move on a tile where other enemy prepared charged attack and die to his own dude.

Last edited:

Electryon

Savant
I refunded the game, not because of any gameplay concerns, but because I didn't pay $1000 for a laptop run something that looks as mediocre as Bard's Tale IV does at 40 fps the moment I set foot into the world. The game feels like trash even walking around the first area. Above all, it didn't feel like a professional project. It felt janky and broken, and it wasn't just the FPS that made it feel that way, though it certainly didn't help. I can't believe they released it in this state.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut owners - 801,114

It was a sucessful title, especially considering how fast they released the game. I think PoE2 costed more than that. Larian wasted twice that amount on DOS1, with a team of 40. DOS2 had a team of 130! These numbers are misleading.

wasteland 2 was in a humble monthly and a regular bundle or two after that, not all of those owners paid full price (and given kickstarter, I would assume most of those owners didn't pay full price)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland 2 revenues as of February 2017: http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...-discussion-thread.99490/page-17#post-5026258

AiJZpvt.png

Renevent

Cipher
Played a couple of hours...not complete feedback but:

1) Game runs smooth for me with everything maxed (typically does, I almost never have performance issues despite the constant whining I hear about game's and their performance).
2) Looks worse than it did in the trailers/previews; markedly so. Maybe I didn't really watch it that closely but the presentation, animations, movement, etc all feel really low rate. Tons of dithering, clipping, flickering...I'm not a graphics whore but it's not a polished presentation.
3) So far it's not a bad game, though. Seems like there's a lot of secrets, hidden stuff, etc. I'm enjoying exploring and looting.
4) Combat...not sure yet. What I'm seeing isn't fantastic, hopefully it get's better with higher levels and other characters in my party.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LOLOLOLOLOL i just played the game for a half an hour and i am going to bed. It is ugly,when it started i looked around and thought it is on medium graphics because my card is old.....turned out it was on ultra with all the extras. It was really choppy so i decided to lower it to medium....here is how it looks:negative:

112.png

The game feels....meh in the first few minutes. All the dialogue was press continue,everyone in the city was singing or talking about muh racism. I just run past a few fanatics burning a elf bitch and i was all "Oh please shut up,i am opening barrels for loot here!". It really feels like waster resources.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Equipment affects the above by being simple 'stat sticks'. in other words, a dagger that gives +2 strength is the exact same as a sword that gives +2 strength in most cases. "armor" also merely applies attributes and the most common way for armor to give survivability to the user is to just have some +constitution on it (which in turn just gives a lfat addition to hit points).

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!?????????

Equipment isn't itemized!?????

WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN MENTIONED BEFORE?

:rage::rage::rage::rage:

" Add that there are no hit chances (everything hits) and no damage variables (you make an attack, you hit for... how much strength did you say you had?) and combat stops feeling like combat, but more like a low level puzzle in a meeple placement boardgame."

WJHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FUCK

WHY WHAT?? ?

:what:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Add that there are no hit chances (everything hits) and no damage variables (you make an attack, you hit for... how much strength did you say you had?)

As far as I am concerned, this game doesn't exist. :obviously:

The No-RNG guy should be happy about this, it's exactly what he's been asking for all along

But yeah, this is the most damning aspect, graphic woes and bugs can be taken care of, but this seems such a fundamental design element that can't be changed, and makes the whole game a mockery

newtmonkey

Arcane
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!?????????
:rage::rage::rage::rage:

WHY WHAT?? ?

:what:

This reaction lolz

Not a single professional review mentioned ANY OF THIS STUFF.

I'm not saying they have to hate on the game for changing everything. Maybe BT4 is the game of games that finally gets gated fixed encounters (i.e. level scaling :smug:) and crafting skill trees just perfect. Just mention it and REVIEW it in terms of if it works or not.

Instead, we get

"I remember BT on the Microsoft DOS PC. It's got graphics. You like combat? It's got combat, dungeons, bards, block puzzles... just like the classics. 7.5/10."

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Can't wait to see Roqua's reaction to this.

Also, after the hissy fit supposed blobber fans had with MMX, ensuring it was trashed and unsuccessful, I don't see any other non-super indy studios attempting to make a blobber if BT4 fails. Its funny that the biggest enemy of crpgs and blobbers are the people that are supposedly like these games. Yet, all their actions do is ensure there are fewer and fewer of them, and we get more and more children-core console games with no depth, complexity, or thinking.

If you want more of something - you have to support those somethings that come out. MMX, regardless of it fit into what you, specifically wanted or thought a M&M sequel should be, gave us another blobber and another real crpg to have. BT4 will do the same. Is it my ideal crpg or blobber? No. But it is far, far, far closer to it than the filthy console games for retarded idiots that modern nuCodexers value and slurp up with love.

What do you think of the game, Infinitron?

I'll just copy/paste what I posted on the release thread a second ago. And say I'm sad the fucking poser low T bitches that make up the vast majority of this site and Rpgwatch are so predictable in your crpg hating ways. Good think they keep making Pokeman and Metal Gear games for you pansy ass fucking morons.
When I got home what I figured would happen was happening with a campaign by hipster posers trying to Troika this game. Nearly 15 years later, same exact shit by the same exact type of retard on the same exact rpg sites still pretending they like crpgs while hating there dare be a non super-indie dev making real crpgs and not the hipster tripe and console shit they love.

Do you guys have meetings when you plan on Troika'ing a company? Or does the hivemind and shit taste and crpg hate just run so deep and strong you just all are naturally on the same page all the time?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The Chad Larian

Makes sequel to game with multiplayer and colorful WoW graphics

On top of random item generation, adds infuriating level scaling and retarded armor mechanic

Nobody cares, 2 million sales

The Virgin Blobber Developer

Brings back oldschool series after decades

Creates new lore and experiments with innovative mechanics because he thinks his audience is sophisticated and this isn't 1985

Gets review-bombed

Must be hard sucking Obsidian and Inxile cock at the same time, don't forget to give them a rim job too, you are doing great work, proud of you.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I feel like my IQ raised hundred points from all the block pushing and matching rune on picture with rune on other picture.

I've also seen the world map I think, and it looked like it's gigantic. Although I am not sure how world matches that huge continent.

Also found my first puzzle weapon.

This might yet have fun in it. But we need a very big shovel to dig it out. And I think combat is wrong place do to it, sadly. It quickly becomes monotonous spam of same abilities and tactics over and over again. Only retarded goblin banter when you drag them around with telekinesis or set on fire spices things up. Dying is almost impossible. Resources and save points are infinite. So even stuff like traps is just for looks.

If whole game would be more block pushing and gear clicking even after that first dungeon I am done though.

Also game doesn't let it go with companions and shoved story companion into my party again. Even if he's sorta funny, I just made my own bard JUST a moment after tutorial ended, and it happened. Was so angry.

Overall begins to feel like more popamolish Grimrock 2 with party banter, front loaded NPCs and some side quests, celtic music and primitive skill trees slapped on top. Minus all resource management.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What I actually struggle to understand is how a developer who is well known for their terrible turn based combat, in Wasteland 2 and especially in Torment, was somehow supposed to make a dungeon crawler (blobber?) and make sure it's not a hot pile of steaming shit.

Like come on everyone should have seen this from miles away.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
When I got home what I figured would happen was happening with a campaign by hipster posers trying to Troika this game. Nearly 15 years later, same exact shit by the same exact type of retard on the same exact rpg sites still pretending they like crpgs while hating there dare be a non super-indie dev making real crpgs and not the hipster tripe and console shit they love.

Do you guys have meetings when you plan on Troika'ing a company? Or does the hivemind and shit taste and crpg hate just run so deep and strong you just all are naturally on the same page all the time?

We have regular meetings, but we usually just make a dice roll about which company we want to destroy next. In inXile's case we made an exception and just run with our shared hate and let the dices be. Can't let a good company like them keep on making great RPGs all the time, need to keep them down

You're invited to the next meeting, just send a PM to Infinitron or DarkUnderlord, they'll tell you when

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just fired up the game to look at performance on my 3 year old rig. Less than a minute load time (HDD), 30-40 FPS at all Ultra settings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom