Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Resonance of Fate 4K/HD - Out now on PC

L'Montes

Educated
Shout-out to the randomly gainax-ing breasts at 1:48 or so.

It looks like it's just an upscale, more or less. Or at least, I'm pretty sure I spotted same dry/drab rusty dungeons from the original game in that trailer.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I loved this game, the art as well as the setting and story are above average (I thought the three characters were put in an equal rank without a defined hero, I think you can switch from the start during exploration phases, etc..., which is one feature I've always particularly liked), exploration is so-so, gun customization is cool, the combat system is turn-based, unique and fun, sure it does not really get more complex as you progress but that didn't hamper my experience because it's also more challenging than average which kept me involved until the very end.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Did they just spoil the plot in the first few seconds of the trailer?

This is a game that I wish got a sequel. The combat is really cool, maybe even one of the most coolest in RPGs ever, but as CryptRat mentioned, it doesn't really get more complex further in the game.

See 6:23 for some groovy shit.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
The combat is really cool, but as CryptRat mentioned, it doesn't really get more complex further in the game.
This is why it got a lot of unfavorable press when it came out. The entire battle system is thrown at you from the get go, and if you're good, there's a good chance you will beat all random battles (and some bosses!) completely unscathed. In the age of forced, unskippable tutorials, and unpeeling combat layers like a shitty onion, this game was a rather bright spot of letting you deal with the mechanics yourself, and to get better or suffer the consequences.

My main gripes are the color palette could get quite boring, looking at washed out greys all day could get a bit irritating, and unlocking the hex grid world map was extremely time consuming as you progressed, sometimes blocking quest rewards behind them, and you have no way of really knowing until after you unlock them.

That being said, combat was so much fun, and the cutscenes were often hilarious. You can bet Kotaku will be having a field day writing the hit pieces on the game's sexist nature right as we speak.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yeah, my main gripe is that they could really build so so much more with the base mechanics they have.

Jinn

Arcane
Hell yes. I've been waiting many years for this. Didn't expect it so soon though. Kind of crazy. Yet another game to pile on the heap of great games coming out month after month.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I loved this game. The combat was absurdly amazing and i remember my teenage self grind so i can buy the most expensive skirt for the girl that shows her panties. It is the only outfit that shows her panties while jumping, and on the other outfits she wears legging or shorts

L'Montes

Educated
I've had this lying around the PS3 for a while now, only played for a bit but the combat system was fun and seemed quite brutal in punishing poor or careless play. Was planning to get on it soon enough, guess I'll wait for the new version, only question is whether to get it on the PC or the PS4?

The combat system isn't nearly as punishing as it seems, rather it's misleading. You get the impression that, like many other games, you're supposed to execute a bunch of regular attacks in turns, and occasionally use your specials. This is wrong.

You either use Hero Actions 99% of the time, or you're probably playing the game wrong. The game doesn't really telegraph this well, but it feels like most of the arena and later fights are balanced around the idea that all three members will be running/jumping non-stop in battles.

Last edited:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Using Hero Actions all the time is mostly a later game thing though, since you don't have enough hero gauge for it in the early game. It's a great risk-reward mechanic but probably a bit unbalanced. You can usually stunlock any enemy or boss by constantly doing triangle attacks in the later game so I guess the devs compensated that by making all the big optional end game arena and secret dungeon bosses one shot you with almost any attack.

L'Montes

Educated
Most of the difficulty is in knowing where to aim your run and land in a position where you won't get splatted, since you're all so squishy. Even early on, you can usually break/damage enough to recover bezels to keep hero-actioning up, but that presupposes you picked up on the whole scratch vs. direct damage system the game has too.

I guess you could describe the system has a higher-floor/lower-ceiling kind of game. You need to pick up scratch/dd, breaking, and the Hero-action mechanics quickly or the game will seem hard (which is more complicated than say, a Final Fantasy would be at the start). However, once you've picked up the fundamentals, it's scratch-scratch-kill-kill in a pretty straight-forward way.

Aside from the enemy damage output, I feel a lot of the "difficulty" in the challenge-type areas is more to do with the layout constraining your hero actions (poor space/line-of-sight) than anything else. It felt like a conscious design choice in that respect; the more claustrophobic levels would've been "easy" if it was a more cover-based kind of shooting game.

Shinji

Savant
This was one of the few good JRPGs released past gen, it was fun and unique in various ways.

For some reason it always reminds me a little of Valkyrie Profile.

deuxhero

Arcane
More games need acrobatic girls wearing skirts with actual physics. I can't think of any game but this and Bloodlines that did had actual skirt physics instead of linking movement to animations.

Ebonsword

Arcane
How's the amount of random encounters in this? Is it like, say, Digital Devil Saga where you can't move five feet without having to fight a combat, or is it more sane?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Dungeons have no random encounters. They are composed of rooms with hand placed enemies. The overworld has random encounters but there are safe paths that you can use with no encounter chance. The actual overworld isn't geographically huge so getting where you want to go is usually pretty fast and doesn't result in many fights. You can also run away from battles quickly with no penalty.

I've been wanting to play this game ever since I first laid eyes on it, sadly my PS3 died and never managed to get my hands on it. I'm glad it's releasing on PC.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
You also have to realize, that you have to switch weapon types on all 3 characters regularly to level up and can't just specialize each character on only one weapon type.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

Btw this is the first game tri-Ace self-publishes on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom