Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep, bunch of complaints about performance + Kickstarter backers pissed off about stuff.

What they really need is more reviews.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yep, bunch of complaints about performance + Kickstarter backers pissed off about stuff.

What they really need is more reviews.
Yeah like actual people playing the game would help

*All negative reviews have MAX 1 hour played, most are around 20 minutes. lol

Renevent

Cipher
In fairness, if the game flat out doesn't launch or crashes, a negative review would be warranted. I see the following general reviews:

1) Crashes/hangs on start-up (yeah, that's shitty)
2) Minor stuttering/drops below 60FPS (don't care, why people are so obsessive over 60FPS seems crazy to me)
3) Old players of the series/KS's upset at changes (don't care that much, but some complaints seems warranted)
4) No 21:9 support (couldn't care less)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess outsourcing the backer portal to crowdox did not turn out so well. I got my key without any problems, but many people seem to have issues.

Hopefully inXile gets on fixing that asap, since that negative rating on Steam will not do the game any favours.

EDIT: typo

Last edited:

Bohr

Arcane
I remember the noisy 21:9 crowd from the Battletech launch, pretty persistent these days about getting devs to cater to them.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game won't launch (GoG version).

I'm mesmerized. I have the most bog standard rig in the world (i5, RX480, 16GB RAM), running in a standard mode, with a standard W10, on a standard monitor, with the freshest vidya drivers. Apparently inXile haven't tested the game on standard rigs, if at all.

EDIT: What I do NOT have tho is non-standard characters in my W10 user name, god fucking dammit.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
None of the professional reviews out there (in-progress or otherwise) give any idea whatsoever what this game is like. It's like they are all taking the list of features on the Steam store page, and explaining them in their own words.

I'll be honest, I bought the game the second it was released, played it for 15 mins and, yes, the performance is horrible—but bearable. I got worried right away for some reason, possibly due to my disappointment with the "fixed encounters gating a linear path" design used in M&MX and D:OS, so I went to read reviews to at least confirm whether there are random encounters, yet not a single review even mentions it. I assume not, because otherwise reviewers would likely be complaining about it.

So I just refunded it, because I realized there would be no way for me to figure out if I like the game within 2 hours, and would rather wait to read a review that actually describes the game in detail and gives an informed opinion instead of GOOD IF YOU LIKE THESE OLD RPGS ESPECIALLY BLOCK PUZZLES LIKE THE CLASSIC RPGS OF YORE

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Strange because UE4 should be usable on many rigs without too much testing. Also the official system requirements have been set quite low actually: gtx 760 and i5

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
I'll be honest, I bought the game the second it was released, played it for 15 mins and, yes, the performance is horrible—but bearable. I got worried right away though after my experience with M&MX and D:OS that this would be a bunch of fixed encounters gating you along a linear path, and went to read reviews to at least confirm whether there are random encounters, yet not a single review even mentions it. I assume not, because otherwise reviewers would likely be complaining about it, since no one likes random encounters anymore. So I just refunded it, because I realized there would be no way for me to figure out if I like the game within 2 hours, and would rather wait to read a review that actually describes the game in detail and gives an informed opinion instead of GOOD IF YOU LIKE THESE OLD RPGS ESPECIALLY BLOCK PUZZLES LIKE THE CLASSIC RPGS OF YORE

No random encounters, only setpiece. But the loot is randomized Original Sin style.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I was surprised by ACG's review. He sounded really passionate about the game,he even played it for 55 hours. Most of his reviews sound like generic shilling.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But the loot is randomized Original Sin style.

What does that mean, "Original Sin style"? Item attributes that are procedurally generated, like Diablo?

Is it not "Wasteland 2 style"? That is, static hand-designed items that are just distributed randomly?

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Optimization is definitely shit. I can run The Witcher 3 on high just fine but this here is all kinds of terrible. Either CDPR is really good in that regard or inExile really bad.

On the other hand, the few minutes I've already seen including the intro and music were really charming.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
This game plays like complete doodoo on my gtx 1080 and the only way to get a stable 60 fps is to play on low and stomach the vomit on your screen which is unacceptable. And here I was expecting to play this at over 100 fps, what a complete joke:negative:

newtmonkey

Arcane
No random encounters, only setpiece. But the loot is randomized Original Sin style.

:negative:

Well, there goes my interest in this one. I'll keep an eye on this thread tho and see what others say. I was also concerned about that one review that made the game sound like The 7th Guest with occasional combat, but no other review described the game as being so puzzle heavy, so who knows lol.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL the game is getting fucked on steam. Mainly because it is unoptimized pile of shit and they can't play it. What was fargo thinking is beyond the mind of mere humans.

Screenshot_2018_9_18_The_Bard_s_Tale_IV_Barrows_Deep_on_Steam.png

Screenshot_2018_9_18_The_Bard_s_Tale_IV_Barrows_Deep_on_Steam_1.png

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
So according to ACG it is actually a good game. Or at least a game i will probably like.

That is if my 5 year old pc can run it. Time for a new one maybe.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So according to ACG it is actually a good game. Or at least a game i will probably like.

The game looks good except the save system or lack of. But the poor optimization will kill it where it stands. Maybe in a few months the game will be playable.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Citation for Infinitron

https://www.gameinformer.com/review/the-bards-tale-iv/a-dissonant-tune

"You absolutely need a high tolerance for puzzles to enjoy The Bard’s Tale IV, which throws an absurd number of brain-twisters at the player, ranging from easy-to-solve dwarven gear doors to esoteric runic combinations. Some mandatory puzzles stymie progression and feel incredibly overbearing, especially in areas that present puzzle after puzzle after puzzle. I yearned for even a minor goblin to massacre after rooms of blocks, spikes, runes, and traps. These sections are frustrating and take much of the energy out of the excellent combat system by replacing it with tedious fiddling. Purists may love solving riddles spewed forth from disembodied wall-mouths, but the frequency in some areas is simply befuddling and detracting. Even though the game comes with a guide featuring all major solutions, looking up answers doesn’t make the puzzle gauntlet satisfying or fun."

Like I said, no other review claims there to be so many puzzles, so who knows. It's a symptom of not sending out copies earlier for review, and all these sites rushing to post whatever they can immediately.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

and it was revealed that ACG is an inxile/brian fargo fanboy, it's almost like he is shilling... I bet you trust infinitron with obsidian reviews, too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom