Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with fun options for magic knights builds?

Santander02

Arcane

I know this is the troll response, but unlike the other TES games I Iiked how you have a dedicated cast button and can use spells without having to unequip your sword or shield, makes playing a battlemage a breeze not having to wait until your character "equips" a spell, cast it, then switch back to your sword/shield. The rest of the game is ass of course, but this is the one thing it did right, wish more real time action RPGs did the same.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Didn't Dragon Age have an Arcane Knight or something?

Final Fantasy Tactics

I need to scrub the thread again and see what your exact criteria were.

EDIT: Souls games ofc
Serpent in the Staglands

Citizen

I know this is the troll response, but unlike the other TES games I Iiked how you have a dedicated cast button and can use spells without having to unequip your sword or shield, makes playing a battlemage a breeze not having to wait until your character "equips" a spell, cast it, then switch back to your sword/shield. The rest of the game is ass of course, but this is the one thing it did right, wish more real time action RPGs did the same.

But you don't have to equip spells in arena and dagg. Only morrowind did this.

Actually, it's pretty cool to be a mage-knight in daggerfall. You have a ton of utility spells and buffs that make the process of meleeing much more pleasant.

Santander02

Arcane

But you don't have to equip spells in arena and dagg. Only morrowind did this.

Skyrim too, should have specified other gamebyro TES.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Divine Divinity. You choose which skills to level up each turn & your warrior class can build up quite a healthy stack of magic if s/he wants.

laclongquan

Arcane
No one mention Witcher series?

You must fight with weapon (swords, axes...) quite often.
You can, should fight magic quite often.

I know, the storyfags in you cringe at Gerald being a knight. But whatever. OP ask for gameplay, not story.

EDIT: apparently Witcher is not to OP's taste. Whaaaaaaatever~

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Both Drakensang games allow you to make a hybrid mage/fighter build as your main character, if I recall corretly.

Same with Divine Divinity and Divinity 2 (not Original Sin 2).

And let us not forget both KoTOR games. You don't get much more magic-knighty than Jedi Knights.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Sword Coast legends you can give your mage the ability to wear armor (even full plate). There is no ASF. Warlocks are also fairly strong in that game.

DraQ

Arcane
Actually, casting hands free is pretty shit, both from flavour and gameplay perspectives.

In this regard Skyrim really did something right as it finally introduced mechanics that not only created a trade-off between physical combat and spellcasting (Morrowind already did that) but also allowed many different sensible combinations of spellcasting hand-held offensive and defensive implements. The only thing more you might possibly want (apart from the infamous clam stance*), is being able to cast 1h with 2h weapon as long as you're not using it.

And better assortment of spells, but mods fix that.

Of course, despite hands free casting being shit, there are quite a few good games allowing it that permit magic knight builds.
From TES series Daggerfall (because fuck Oblivion) allows it while also making it hard to justify not making a magic-knight given how much of an advantage is plate armour given material system.

:troll:

No one mention Witcher series?
lrn2rd.
:decline:

I know, the storyfags in you cringe at Gerald being a knight.
Actually, Geralt was knighted by Queen Meve at one point in the books.

But whatever. OP ask for gameplay, not story.
OP was also specifically excluding games where where playing magic-knight types is non-optional.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Both Ultima Underworlds
Revenant
Inquisitor (magic is mandatory so everyone learn that and spam magic seals in the meantime, before they get better in it)
Jeanne D'arc
Two Worlds 1+2

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Yes, I'm sure you bothered playing 1,000+ modules. Maybe you are the adminstrator of RPGWatch:

I said I played them to death, doesn't mean I've played every one of them. All but like 10 of the modules are shit so they start out dead.

Didn't Dragon Age have an Arcane Knight or something?

Final Fantasy Tactics

I need to scrub the thread again and see what your exact criteria were.

EDIT: Souls games ofc
Serpent in the Staglands

Dragon Age was so shit I couldn't even bother getting to the point I unlocked that option. FFT and Souls also played to death. Been meaning to play Serpent in the Staglands, but I'm waiting for the 90% off sale.

Modron

Arcane
People covered a lot of ground already so I am just going to suggest Siege of Avalon, Prelude to Darkness, and Prince of Qin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom