Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with fun options for magic knights builds?

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm in the mood to play such a character, but I've done every NWN/NWN2 module to death. Any recommendations? Games where the player character is required to do both don't count.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Assuming by "magic knight" you mean a class combining aspects of fighter-types with aspects of mage-types, you can try The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, which has a complex character creation system as long as you choose the option of creating your own class rather than using a preexisting one. You can select skills to create a "magic knight" type character, then join the Mages Guild and a knightly order.

Also, Dragon's Dogma has a class called mystic knight which is exactly this, a fighter with various magic skills using a sword/mace and magical shield (plus you can swap out the weapon and shield for a mage's staff to cast spells).

deuxhero

Arcane
Not really. The only classes that can do both melee and magic are Paladin, Druid and Assassin, and all of those are an either/or due to weapons that buff skills and weapons that are good in melee being mutually exclusive. Trying to be a hybrid just means you're shit at both.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
ToEE + now has Eldritch Knight. DOS 1 and 2 can have characters developed similarly as a magic knight. I'm not sure if the Wizardry type Samurai counts, but is so there is a million blobbers you can try in various settings. LoX has magic knight-ish classes. Arcanum, same deal. I guess the same can be said for Bloodlines if knights don't need to wear armor (so warrior mage).

There really is a million examples, from Underrail to Gothic to Final Fantasy and everything in between.

deuxhero

Arcane
Did ToEE+, Arcanum and D:OS1. Waiting for deep sale on D:OS2. Blobbers don't count because I want to play a character with those abilities, not a party that includes a character, of equal importance to all others, with those abilities.

octavius
Character that uses both magic and weapons.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Titan Quest (though kinda hard to get a great build going)
Grim Dawn (much easier, nearly every combo ends up being some sort of magic warrior)

Roqua

Prospernaut
not a party that includes a character

Unless you stuck to only PWs you played a party that included a character in NWN2. If you are only interested in single character games, you need to be more specific on setting and magic. Any setting? No divine magic (i.e. paladins)? No vampire blood magic like in VtM: Requiem or Bloodlines? As Mastermind stated, both Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, some of the Soldak games, etc, but they are arpgs. Are you looking at general crpgs with only single character creation?

Specifics, please. Interested in action games with rpg elements like Gothic? Adventure-rpg hybrids like QfG, Heroine's Quest, Quest for Infamy, or Hero-U?

deama

Prophet
In arx fatalis you can put points into magic and weaponry.

In fable you can put points into magic, weaponry and thievery (or whatever they called it).

In the first spellforce game you can spec as a warrior/mage hybrid with spells on one hand and weapons on the other. Though this one is an RTS, with army management, not sure if you'd like that?

I guess Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is a decent choice.

In Kingdoms of amalur Reckoning you can weave between magic and sword.

In Heroes of Annihilated Empires you start off as an archer but gradually obtain spells and new weapons, as well as customise his advancement through levels. Again though, this is an RTS, not sure if it's your cup of tea.

PEACH

Arbiter
Tales of Maj'Eyal has quite a lot of options for characters like that & if you don't need a literal knight in shining armour Underrail's psi/melee builds are some of the most enjoyable builds in the game in my experience

Roqua

Prospernaut
Speaking of magic knights - you should read the Wizard Knight books by Gene Wolfe. Absolutely fantastic.

Most of the good ones are already in the thread. But you could try Eschalon I (its free on steam). its a classlesss sysytem and i like taking magic for buffs/utility/survivability and going melee for damage.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm in the mood to play such a character, but I've done every NWN/NWN2 module to death. Any recommendations? Games where the player character is required to do both don't count.

ELEX! Join the Berserkers and learn their magic. You’ll be more of a magic viking than a magic knight, but it’s pretty close to what you’re looking for.

One of my favorite character types. Anyway, Kingmaker comes out in a week, and it has some juicy gish options, if you can wait. No idea on how good it will actually play, but I am somewhat optimistic.

deuxhero

Arcane
Games where the player character is required to do both don't count.
what does it mean?

Something like The Witcher. You can focus on swordsmanship or spells, but Geralt still knows both no matter what. I'm only looking for stuff where it's one build option among many.

not a party that includes a character

Unless you stuck to only PWs you played a party that included a character in NWN2.

There's actually a decent number of solo modules. What I meant was emphases on "equal importance". NWN2 is actually a perfect example of non-equal party importance: Outside of SoZ, there's a clear main character you have full control over but you have much lesser control over all party members, including in build (indeed, unless a module maker explicitly makes a character able to be built in such a way it's impossible to make a character other than your main character into one)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom