Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Update #30: New Title, Monsters

curry

Arcane
As I see it calling game that takes place on colony ship - Colony Ship is akin to movie Titanic instead being named Ship. That's all. Ship.
Ever heard of Das Boot? You don't need a fancy name if the product is good.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
At least they could and should come up with some cool name for colony ship itself and then can call the game after it. That would make sense and be logical. In the end Colony Ship is least bad but most meh solution, at least imo

Yip, that's what I advised too. Just wait until it comes to you in a shower or something. Can't brute force a good title.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd call it The Flight. Lots of Flights in entertainment, but The Flight is different. I'm not messing around here. Vault Dweller

It's simple and urgent

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
As I see it calling game that takes place on colony ship - Colony Ship is akin to movie Titanic instead being named Ship. That's all. Ship.
Ever heard of Das Boot? You don't need a fancy name if the product is good.
Never heared of. Which I hope won't be reply to question I'll ask my friends in 2020: 'Have you heared about that Colony Ship RPG?' . :M

Also I agree that good and quality product charges the name and is foundation for every brand, carries it basically. Still good, catchy name that also captures what product is all about gives brand bonus to recognition which coupled with good product is simply OP. Again probably in the end when it's released you'll easily find RPGs with worse names but hardly any with better gameplay and story then this one. I can always rename game's shortcut anyway...

Norfleet

At least they could and should come up with some cool name for colony ship itself and then can call the game after it. That would make sense and be logical. In the end Colony Ship is least bad but most meh solution, at least imo
I'm telling you, the perfect name for a generation ship game is "Are We There Yet".

Mustawd

Seriously though, Generation Ship sounds better. IMO Generation > Colony in terms of description. So there’s a lot of room for cool names with that word.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steel Eden and Proxima Bound were both better than Colony Ship. Regardless, congrats and good luck.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
“Fallout” is a simple name, but it was attached to a game that is a landmark in the history of cRPGs. Now it seems like a great title because it is the title of a great game.
"Fallout" is what happens after the nuclear bombs fall. In the game, it's not just a reference to debris / particles, but also what happens to the world, how it is transformed and how it changes people's lives. The real fallout is societal. It's also what happens to your main character at the beginning of the game, you "fall out" of the Vault; a fall from a paradise to a harsh unsafe world, a fall from grace disguised as an honor. It is a great title. It captures everything in one word, and no one mistakes it for something else than a game related to a nuclear event. It doesn't get any better than this.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

It is a great title. It captures everything in one word, and no one mistakes it for something else than a game related to a nuclear event. It doesn't get any better than this.
You are missing the point entirely. It doesn’t matter whether the title captures the essence of the game as long as it doesn't mislead people in thinking that it belongs to a different genre. You guys seem like Indians with the misguided belief that the name should somehow represent the salient, or memorable, properties of the thing that was designated by it, e.g., Geronimo (Goyaałé "the one who yawns”). It doesn’t. In the best scenario you manage to convey some information about the game and people can make additional unintended inferences that are also in agreement with the theme. Do you think Diablo is a bad title? How about Baldur’s Gate? Who cares!!! It's the game that makes the title memorable. Not the other way around. If you are not conveying missed expectations about the genre of the game, any simple name is good as it gets. It has one function, and one function only: to designate that thing after the baptism. These poetic declarations of love for Fallout are somewhat embarrassing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm just stating the reasons why "Fallout" is a great title, and is so independently of the quality of the game unlike what you claimed.

You trying to misrepresent the argument as a "poetic declaration of love" is what's embarrassing. You wear your name well, Politician.

Deleted Member 22431

I'm just stating the reasons why "Fallout" is a great title, and is so independently of the quality of the game unlike what you claimed. You trying to misrepresent the argument as a "poetic declaration of love" is what's embarrassing.
There are a lot of assumptions that you take for granted. What makes a good title though? Does it need to be concise? Or maybe it needs to describe the concept and theme with ease? Does a title increases (or, in case it is bad, it decreases) the chances of success of a given game? Or there is no correlation between the reception among players and the choice of title? Don’t you think that there is a non-negligible possibility that we tend to perceive the “merits” of a given title if it is attached to a classic? I bet that most people would praise an alternative title for “Fallout” even if it were a completely abstruse name, e.g., “The survival of apocalypse”. Players would lavishly praise “The survival of apocalypse” because it would be part of the canon. You may like to think you are perfectly objective in your “analysis”. I wouldn’t discard the power of rationalisation because human beings are prone to irrationality.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I'm just stating the reasons why "Fallout" is a great title, and is so independently of the quality of the game unlike what you claimed. You trying to misrepresent the argument as a "poetic declaration of love" is what's embarrassing.
There are a lot of assumptions that you take for granted. What makes a good title though? Does it need to be concise? Or maybe it needs to describe the concept and theme with ease? Does a title increases (or, in case it is bad, it decreases) the chances of success of a given game? Or there is no correlation between the reception among players and the choice of title? Don’t you think that there is a non-negligible possibility that we tend to perceive the “merits” of a title if it is attached to a classic? I bet that most people would praise “Fallout” title even if had a completely abstruse name, e.g., “The survival of apocalypse”. Players would lavishly praise “The survival of apocalypse” because it would part of the canon. You may like to think you are perfectly objective in your “analysis”. I wouldn’t discard the power of rationalisation because human beings are prone to irrationality.
Well, one thing is certain in this thread, you knew how to choose title and avatar for your Codex account that would perfectly fit your Codex posts...+M

Deleted Member 22431

Well, one thing is certain in this thread, you knew how to choose title and avatar for your Codex account that would perfectly fit your Codex posts...
The rationalisation assumed in your ad hominem attack goes like this: “If this person defends that human nature is flawed is because he is a bastard projecting his own personal flaws on mankind. Me, I’m different. I’m perfectively objective”.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Well, one thing is certain in this thread, you knew how to choose title and avatar for your Codex account that would perfectly fit your Codex posts...
The rationalisation assumed in your ad hominem attack goes like this: “If this person defends that human nature is flawed is because he is a bastard projecting his own personal flaws on mankind. Me, I’m different. I’m perfectively objective”.

There are a lot of assumptions that you take for granted. What makes a good ad hominem jest though? Does it need to be concise? Or maybe it needs to rustle poster's jimmies with ease? Does ad hominem increases (or, in case it is bad, it decreases) the chances of being rated as edgy? Or there is no correlation between the reception among posters and the choice of ad hominem? Don’t you think that there is a non-negligible possibility that we tend to perceive the “ad homineminity” of a jest post if our Codex account is attached to our Codex ego? I bet that most posters would brofist posts from an account with an alternative name for “Politician” even if it were a completely abstruse name, e.g., “The Survivor of Shoutbox”. Bros would lavishly fist “The Survivor of Shoutbox” because he would be part of Codex. You may like to think you are perfectly objective in your “post ratings”. I wouldn’t discard the power of irrational butthurt because Codex beings are prone to rational shitposting. Well, most of the time...

SlCkgtx.jpg

himmy

Arcane
The name is cool. It could be better, but (as the thread on this very forum proved) could also be much, much, MUCH worse.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Two pages on the name and nothing about the game? Nice one codex.

It mentions 3 of the game's 6 monster types in the update; is this just for the last update, or its 6 in total for the game? If its the latter, it sounds a little anemic...

screeg

Arcane
Developer

Yip, that's what I advised too. Just wait until it comes to you in a shower or something. Can't brute force a good title.
Nobody needs to take a shower to think up a name for the ship. It's called Starfarer.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Nobody needs to take a shower to think up a name for the ship. It's called Starfarer.

Still you need to take the shower for the game's name sake! And yours too, of course...

As long as you don't run out of hot water you can't run out of fresh, hot, innovative names for Vault Dweller to discard. Water that creativity and it will blossom!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom