Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

zool

Arcane
Experimentac can cure you of some crippling shit in situations when you have nothing to lose.
People always think that they have nothing to loose....until they loose something.

Yeah I remember the first time I used it, the guy just chopped of my character's dick. I sent him to be burnt alive but that didn't prevent my count from dying a few days later in agony and a eunuch.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would say that game worked fastest was most stable and fun when patched to 2.71/3 (Grim Reaper). The Devil worshipery and Kithay (don't have nothing against them as China was and is great and interesting civilization but not in muh Crusaders Kings Game.) bring a dick to the game and make it bloated again.

Essential DLCs for me:

Legacy of Rome, Way of life, Old gods, Grim Ripper and Charlemagne.

Avoid like plague: Sunset Invasion the Juice who dindu nuffin' and muh womyn rights DLCs.

Mech: Sword of Pisslam and Shit-on-street-land.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The experimental treatment is pretty funny with diseases that don't go away, like cancer. The physician will then lop off the infested body part and "cure" you of cancer.

I'm fairly certain I once had my physician prescribe me some weed and my dude became a poet because of it. It's fun but don't do it under Gavelkind.

oscar

Arcane
The Elder Scrolls mod is really, really fucking good (Gardner dynasty in Wayrest and the age immortal Abnur Tharn in Nibenay are fun starts I've found so far though there seems to be a lot of fun challenges and cultures are nicely differentiated). Probably my favourite and the most thoroughly well-designed total conversion I've played so far and I've played about all of them. Genocide system means cultures expand and contract quite quickly by vanilla standards (though attempting to genocide means a huge revolt risk so rulers often bite off more than they can chew in doing so and lose the province/duchy entirely to uprisings). Seen lots of different things happen too (sometimes Skyrim becomes a superpower, other times it splits into a few fairly powerful realms).

Give it a go if you have even a passing interest in TES (lore is well researched too thankfully as old school TES had some cool and very detailed history).

Norfleet

The experimental treatment is pretty funny with diseases that don't go away, like cancer. The physician will then lop off the infested body part and "cure" you of cancer.
Assuming it hasn't metasized, that actually does work. In fact, people in real life lop off parts when they think they MIGHT get cancer in it. You can't develop cancer in a part you don't have anymore, after all. It was the only way to be sure!

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
CKII have one of the most satisfying experiences for me, when my long term plans, sometimes carried by children and grandchildren, succeed. And most infuriating when my prodigious ruler gets a mace to the face and start drooling and my empire and efforts of generations go down the trash.
Such a life.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stupid fan service. There was 0% chance for a Hellenic revival before the era of nationalism.
How good then that games such as these are about changing history, not reenacting it.
As long as very unlikely stunts are appropriately hard to pull off, that is.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
They are about changing history but within the limits of believability.

Seriously, a Christian (or Muslim for that matter) monarch suddenly declaring himself a Pagan would not even last long enough to face a rebellion. He would be offed by his own court. His own soldiers would kill him, if only for the spoils or reward because Pagans were fair game.

Before anyone points out to Viking age Scandinavian or Slavic Pagan reactions - I mean established Christian kingdoms, like Byzantium. Not those barely exposed to the new faith.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Perhaps an option for a Greek or Italian lunatic monarch (also pursuing religious focus so it doesn't get too egregious) but otherwise very silly. Even at the earliest start date it would have been exceedingly unlikely that a single practising Hellenic pagan was walking the planet.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
For the past two expansions I've played just about entirely Gnacht (which seemed to update whenever I thought about starting a regular campaign; I usually wait around the first patch or hotfix before trying to newest expansion for CK2) so I'm not entirely sure about this, but can you even become a Hellenic pagan outside of the Ruler Designer?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
For the past two expansions I've played just about entirely Gnacht (which seemed to update whenever I thought about starting a regular campaign; I usually wait around the first patch or hotfix before trying to newest expansion for CK2) so I'm not entirely sure about this, but can you even become a Hellenic pagan outside of the Ruler Designer?

I believe there is one province that's Hellenic but conversion is completely disabled.

I've had, for some unfathomable reason, some Bön guy arrive at my court in NORWAY in the Charlie start once though. :lol:

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Even at the earliest start date it would have been exceedingly unlikely that a single practising Hellenic pagan was walking the planet.

There were a few communities of Hellenic worshipers as far as the 11th century.

I think there's at least one province worth of them in Greece.

A barony at most. The Maniotes at the southernmost tip of Peloponnesus. They were Christianized during the reign of Basil I, ie. in 860s-880s. Still, those were peasants in a very remote mountainous region, definitely not a material for a CK2 character.

There was one neo-Pagan in late Byzantine era. Georgius Gemistus, better known by his pen-name Pletho. But he was a bookworm and philosopher, not a ruler.

Vaarna_Aarne

Did a check, I dunno about Holy Fury (and whether or not Hellenic counts as pre-reformed there too), but right now the only way to become Hellenic is to become an immortal, encounter an immortal horse, convince the horse that there can be more than one, and then have that horse educate children to become Hellenic.

Vaarna_Aarne

Haven't played either in a looong time. I *think* I liked HIP better, can't say for sure.

Personally I'd recommend Geheimnisnacht (the Warhammer mod).

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Holy Fury might very well be the last expansion. Some time age the Swedes told us that they want to retire the game with the largest ever update.

Nice as that sentiment is, it's not the way business works. DLC ends when it's unprofitable. My guess is that Paradox is taking a gamble to see if a really big DLC can revitalize their sales numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom