Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Can non-German speakers get a summary?
  • 100 hours of old-skool fun
  • random battles on the overland map
  • Kingdom mode, starting in Chapter 2, barony to kingdom
  • he thinks the kingdom mode is optional(ish) because of player freedom as core design principle
  • 7 endings (1 official, 5 other endings, 1 super secret ending for autists)
  • sings praise of the character development
  • skills influence dialogue options
  • DnD alignment system
  • 3D, not pre-rendered
  • RTwP, formations, formation designer
  • Russian developers
  • 1 million words, German version announced, only partial VO
  • in kingdom mode, you can assign your party to minister posts
  • ministers act according to their personality
  • (fictitious example: if you assign the aggressive barbarian to the post of interior security, protesting peasants may get stomped, if you pick a diplomatic character, the problem may have been solved peacefully, but is likely not well suited to fend of enemy attacks)
  • You can assign characters to task like in DA:Inquisition with different outcomes depending on the assigned character, e.g. alignment (you can still put characters in the party if they have a task)
  • repeats that he's a fan of the character system
  • battles are standard fare
  • describes the resting system

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
  • he thinks the kingdom mode is optional(ish) because of player freedom as core design principle
  • DnD alignment system
  • 3D not pre-rendered
  • Russian developers
  • (fictitious example: if you assign the aggressive barbarian to the post of interior security, protesting peasants may get stomped, if you pick a diplomatic character, the problem may have been solved peacefully, but is likely not well suited to fend of enemy attacks)
  • You can assign characters to task like in DA:Inquisition with different outcomes depending on the assigned character, e.g. alignment (you can still put characters in the party if they have a task)
Thanks for the summary, most of that sounds very good.

Yosharian

Arcane
Can non-German speakers get a summary?
  • DnD alignment system
  • 3D not pre-rendered
  • Russian developers
This sounds... this almost sounds like a good game

How could you do this to me

:negative:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last one? https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/1719702292259027639

Pathfinder: Kingmaker – The characters
16 SEPTEMBER - THEZEISONSHA

3224aa5a97a81c2687e61b90c53a27738e277391.jpg

This week we will show you some wonderful character artworks from PATHFINDER: KINGMAKER. It will be released in two weeks - 25th of September means celebration day for RPG fans.
Pre-order your digital copy right here:
On Steam or GOG[www.gog.com]

Last edited by a moderator:

CaesarCzech

Scholar
It looks like Most of SJW rot is coming from Pathfinder Itself with Paizo meddling with developers restraining the worst of it, i wouldnt be surprised if Romances themselves were sacrifaced position, something to beat Paizo over head when they get too uppity.

Dodo1610

Arcane
It looks like Most of SJW rot is coming from Pathfinder Itself with Paizo meddling with developers restraining the worst of it, i wouldnt be surprised if Romances themselves were sacrifaced position, something to beat Paizo over head when they get too uppity.

Nope, the developers wanted romances in their game and believe they are part of the "Baldurs Gate experience" they try to recrate.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

Nope, the developers wanted romances in their game and believe they are part of the "Baldurs Gate experience" they try to recrate.

I dont mean the existence of romance but The exact romances.

Ninjerk

Arcane
  • 3D not pre-rendered

...what does that mean?
In games like Baldur's Gate, the scenery is made exclusively (or nearly so) in 3D and then a "snapshot" is taken and used as a background so your computer is only getting instructions about individual pixels instead of being asked to calculate what some polyhedron looks like view from such-and-such angle. I believe there's a video from the making of PoE where they tilt the background so that you can see that your characters are 3D and animated on top of a 2D background--you know it's 2D because the houses and castles n shiet stretch and skew like a piece of paper instead of being redrawn in perspective or some kind of projection.

Cael

Arcane
It looks like Most of SJW rot is coming from Pathfinder
Obviously. Far-left weirdos like this self-described "Spooky Queer Psychopomp" work on Pathfinder. https://twitter.com/FWesSchneider

Don't be surprised if Paizo double-downs on the far-left SJW garbage in a potential sequel if this game is a success.
I skimmed through that lot of anime and 9-year old kid ravings, and saw the part where some twat describes herself as part black, part Chaldean. Seriously, girl, if you have to reach that far back, you're trying too hard.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

From what I heard, it was actually Paizo who said no to a bunch of the romances.

I guess they didn't want Owlcat screwing with iconic character personalities.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

From what I heard, it was actually Paizo who said no to a bunch of the romances.

I guess they didn't want Owlcat screwing with iconic character personalities.

Well see how moddable game is. Also makes sense No matter how idiotic the romance is in the Russian conception, its propably more focused on Relationship that is important and fullfiling to all parties and where each party is willing to step back a bit and compromise, rather than the SJW style bullshit. So i guess they dont want something that could go for romance as romance instead of romance as preaching and tool for propaganda.

molotov.

Novice
Can someone explain to me the reason of the existence of Ekundayo? It seems like not even the developers remember him.

Barbarian

Arcane

Is the rpg playing community so overcrowded with degenerates and sodomites anyway? Or are they just very vocal and very active in modding(i.e: baldur's gate mods)?

Homossexuals are a small minority even in the progressive west. It astounds me that they need to be so overrepresented. Most mainstream rpgs these days have several queer npcs and romances.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Is the rpg playing community so overcrowded with degenerates and sodomites anyway? Or are they just very vocal and very active in modding(i.e: baldur's gate mods)?

Homossexuals are a small minority even in the progressive west. It astounds me that they need to be so overrepresented. Most mainstream rpgs these days have several queer npcs and romances.

People want to find representation in their media. It's not surprising that demographics that have historically been poorly represented would be the loudest voices asking for it. To your point, a computer game generally has a fairly small cast, so any effort at equitable representation to satisfy all demographics ends up being wildly out of line with the real world, in terms of ratios or proportional demographics... but so what? It's not like computer games are perfectly accurate world sims anyway. I'd be fine either way as long as the representation was consistent with the lore of the particular game world... but it's historically been pretty rare that game worlds are that detailed (unless drawing from books).

If games (other than rpgmaker or visual novels) were easier to make, there might be a better variety of them, so that all games didn't end up having to be all things to all people. As it is, there just aren't that many AAA (or even AA) RPGs, so if you DO go down the round of companions, romances, and whatever else, your game ends up becoming a rallying point for those seeking inclusivity.

But I might just be drunk and typing random babble. I'm not sure what the solution is, regardless. The only constant is that someone will end up unhappy.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane

To your point, a computer game generally has a fairly small cast, so any effort at equitable representation to satisfy all demographics ends up being wildly out of line with the real world, in terms of ratios or proportional demographics... but so what?.
I'll have a crack

So what, you say. Computer games have limited budgets with which to accomplish the creation of content for the purchaser to enjoy. Budget spent on content which appeals primarily to extremely limited demographics, to the detriment of content which appeals to the vast majority of the consumer base, is not budget well-spent, in my opinion.

If developers stopped creating 50% of romances to appeal to 4% of the population, you'd end up with a much more viable product in the eyes of the vast majority of consumers. And it's not like I'm exaggerating when I say 50%, just look at the sexuality breakdown of romances in modern Bioware games for example. And the 4% statistic is well-evidenced.

Taking Bioware as an example, basically every modern series they've produced has gradually (or not so gradually) moved away from what used to be their core audience, to attempting to appeal equally to social justice tumblrites and console peasants. Mass Effect went from being a space and planet exploration RPG to a dumbed down action RPG/shooter whose major priorities were multiplayer and gender equality. Dragon Age abandoned its old-school D&D roots entirely (not that it was entirely doing justice to them in the first game, but an attempt was made) in favour of... a dumbed down wannabe-MMO with a major focus on social justice themes and gender equality. I mean DA:I is literally a single-player MMO with tumblr-written NPCs.

And what's the result of this switch from old school to awesome button and social justice? Bioware is going down the shitter, it'll be closed/dismantled within a year of Anthem's release I reckon.

So yeah... so what, right?

And romances are just one example, this entire argument can be applied to any content, such as sidequests, main storylines, game mechanics, whatever: creating content that appeals to tiny demographics in an attempt to virtue-signal or widen your market appeal, to the complete detriment of content that would appeal to your core audience, is a mistake.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist

Because there are straight players like to see same sex romance as well. Some male players play as female characters and romance female characters, same goes to the female players.

The devs don't just put same sex romances in the game to appeal to the gay people, it's actually quite the other way around. There is a reason why Asari is a bi-sexual all female race, instead of a bi-sexual all male race.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom