Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Help choose the The New World's new title

Kosmic Kraftworld Kodexia

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Are We There Yet" is the clear choice for a generation ship game.

Unfortunately even a mockup of the high-impact, hype-fueling, sales-generating cover wasn't enough to garner much support for that one :(

W8oPUsBB_o.png
This title reminds me of "I hope I Shall Arrive Soon" by none other than PKD.

The plot:
In the story, a man (Victor Kemmings) regains consciousness during a failed attempt at cryosleep on board a spaceship. The ship's artificial intelligence cannot repair the malfunction and cannot wake him, so Kemmings is doomed to remain conscious but paralyzed through the ship's entire ten-year-long journey. To maintain his sanity, the A.I. replays Kemmings's memories to him. But when this goes awry, the ship's A.I. asks Kemmings what he wants most -- and the answer is that Kemming wants the trip to be over and to arrive at his new home. The A.I. constructs such a scenario for Kemming and plays it to him over and over for the next ten years. When the ship finally arrives at its destination, Kemming cannot accept reality and believes his arrival to be yet another construction.
[/quote]

Love

Cipher
  • Past Polaris
  • Beyond Polaris
  • The Aeon In Space
  • Aeons Amongst The Stars
  • Another Aeon Home
  • The Aeon Transit
  • In Stellar Transit To Home
  • A Stellar Association To Home
  • Homeward Association
  • Stars in My Pocket
  • En Route: A Modicum Of Home
Unfortunately both Nostos and Ursa Major are already in use. Perhaps somebody else knows some other stars with a special meaning for travel and a catchy name.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"Colony Ship" sounds way too descriptive to me. Not bad, but very dry.

This might be too late to suggest, but how does merging it with the old title sound?
"The New Colony". Works for the ship and the destination, like the old title.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
"Colony Ship" sounds way too descriptive to me. Not bad, but very dry.

This might be too late to suggest, but how does merging it with the old title sound?
"The New Colony". Works for the ship and the destination, like the old title.
Sounds run-of-the-mill generic imo.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
The subtitle is beautiful, it's intriguing, funny, it describes what kind of game this is (a serious SF RPG with some human drama, not a lighthearted adventure nor fantasy shlock), and no Fallout fan (its target audience) would ignore it. The generic and boring title works because it will force people to also mention its subtitle.

daveyd

Savant
It gets the job done. There have been some great suggestions but the most clever / poetic name is not necessarily the best title from a marketing perspective... Colony Ship may be generic but it tells you exactly what the game is about.. Diehard fans of Age of Decadence are going to buy this game no matter what, but ITS is hoping to expand their audience... And the obvious to Fallout with the subtitle should clue in old school CRPG fans who are unfamiliar with AoD.

As hard as it is to imagine someone who can't be bothered to read the fucking game description or reviews and dismiss a game purely on the name even being interested in a game like this... who knows, we have our retard moments where we make snap judgments w/o realizing it. I did like "The New World" better, but who cares? I mean, we're presumably not even getting a physical edition, so it's not like you have to stare at the less exciting name on your shelf.

Norfleet

In the story, a man (Victor Kemmings) regains consciousness during a failed attempt at cryosleep on board a spaceship. The ship's artificial intelligence cannot repair the malfunction and cannot wake him, so Kemmings is doomed to remain conscious but paralyzed through the ship's entire ten-year-long journey. To maintain his sanity, the A.I. replays Kemmings's memories to him. But when this goes awry, the ship's A.I. asks Kemmings what he wants most -- and the answer is that Kemming wants the trip to be over and to arrive at his new home. The A.I. constructs such a scenario for Kemming and plays it to him over and over for the next ten years. When the ship finally arrives at its destination, Kemming cannot accept reality and believes his arrival to be yet another construction.
You can tell this story was written before MMORPGs, or the AI would have just stuck him in World of Warcrap for 10 years.

Latelistener

Arcane
You can tell this story was written before MMORPGs, or the AI would have just stuck him in World of Warcrap for 10 years.
If AI is capable of creating entities that look and act more or less like humans, he could've simulated any game.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If AI is capable of creating entities that look and act more or less like humans, he could've simulated any game.
Mandatory 'Are we living in a simulation?' discussion starts here.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-we-living-in-a-computer-simulation/

I think not, because no sentient being would be cruel and malevolent enough to simulate an an universe where games like DA2 are produced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom