Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are the most :obviously: non-rpg games?

v1rus

Arcane
Well, the title says it all. Which games, and why, does Codex perceive as masterpieces, outside its forte?

There are couple ones that are well-known Codex favorites, like Thief or even Stalker, but lets get them all out in the open.
also, the first bro to post PS:Т/Deus Ex/w/e gets a cookie and an original joke award :happytrollboy:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Master of Orion.
Because not only is it brilliantly designed, like Civ and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, but it's intentionally unbalanced and unpredictable, making it IMO much more replayable than most strategy games. Civ and SMAC quickly becomes formulaic, with little real difference between the factions and between each game you play. With MoO you never know beforehand how the game will turn out (except that the Sakkras will be annoying assholes). There may be no tech available to build good bombs for example, which will require quite different tactics than otherwise.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Well, the title says it all. Which games, and why, does Codex perceive as masterpieces, outside its forte?

There are couple ones that are well-known Codex favorites, like Thief or even Stalker, but lets get them all out in the open.
also, the first bro to post PS:Т/Deus Ex/w/e gets a cookie and an original joke award :happytrollboy:
PS:T
I want my cookie and my award now!

Master of Magic is a masterpiece desptite its flaws and i believe is highly regarded on the Codex
Master of Orion - is a very good choice, Master of Orion 2 is highly regarded as well.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
"Stalker"

I don't think this is an obvious non-RPG game. STALKER games have a main quest (in the case of SoC and CoP there can even be some divergences in how this main plot resolves), side quests, items and gear that effectively take the place of leveling, exploration, faction choices if one considers that an RPG like element, and so on. The side quests in CoP in particular are better designed than quests in most "real" RPGs.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
8dZoDvo.png

Zork (1980, adventure)
Seven Cities of Gold (1984, strategy/tactics)
Sid Meier's Pirates! (1987, action)
Populous (1989, strategy/tactics) / Populous II (1991, strategy/tactics)
Civilization (1989, strategy/tactics) / Civilization II (1996, strategy/tactics)
Sim City (1989, city-building) / Sim City 2000 (1993, city-building)
Golden Axe: Revenge of Death-Adder (1992, beat-'em-up)
Master of Orion (1993, strategy/tactics)
Heroes of Might & Magic II (1996, strategy/tactics)
Thief: The Dark Project (1998, first-person stealth)
Jagged Alliance 2 (1999, strategy/tactics)
Thief 2: The Metal Age (2000, first-person stealth)
Deus Ex (2000, first-person stealth/shooter)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Never understood why STALKERs got RPG label, sure there are some stats to take into account (weight limit, resistanses etc.) but there are no stats like STR, VIT or AGI to improve or you die in the north.
Guns progress? Play few hours to get AN94 and you got something powerful enought to beat the game. Accurate gun with 2-bullets burst, grenade launcher and scope, game over.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
8dZoDvo.png

Zork (1980, adventure)
Seven Cities of Gold (1984, strategy/tactics)
Sid Meier's Pirates! (1987, action)
Populous (1989, strategy/tactics) / Populous II (1991, strategy/tactics)
Civilization (1989, strategy/tactics) / Civilization II (1996, strategy/tactics)
Sim City (1989, city-building) / Sim City 2000 (1993, city-building)
Golden Axe: Revenge of Death-Adder (1992, beat-'em-up)
Master of Orion (1993, strategy/tactics)
Heroes of Might & Magic II (1996, strategy/tactics)
Thief: The Dark Project (1998, first-person stealth)
Thief 2: The Metal Age (2000, first-person stealth)
Deus Ex (2000, first-person stealth/shooter)

First Golden Axe (1989) was imo better.

also
The thead says "non-rpg games" so inclusion of JA2 is
:nocountryforshitposters::hahyou:

Good list otherwise.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never understood why STALKERs got RPG label, sure there are some stats to take into account (weight limit, resistanses etc.) but there are no stats like STR, VIT or AGI to improve or you die in the north.
Guns progress? Play few hours to get AN94 and you got something powerful enought to beat the game. Accurate gun with 2-bullets burst, grenade launcher and scope, game over.

There is pretty heavy gear based progression in all of them. Especially in CS and COP with the upgrade system.

They have "RPG elements" at the minimum.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll try to list some original shit that I doubt people will agree with.

Super Smash Bros 64
Call of Duty: MW2 and Black Ops
Rise of Nations
Minecraft
ATV: Quad Power Racing 2

Edit:

HoMM 2&3

Baron Dupek

Arcane

There is pretty heavy gear based progression in all of them. Especially in CS and COP with the upgrade system.

But all first person shooters have gear progression so?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

But all first person shooters have gear progression so?

Not to the extent of the STALKER series, and besides progression isn't the only RPG element the series has.

Edit: This discussion is getting dangerously close to the age old "What is an RPG?" question.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Every game is an RPG game.

I unfortunately agree. It's true. Every game is an RPG. Even Puzzle and Strategy games. You always slip into the role of a person or "commander" who controls something. And by controlling that you adapt your tactics and skills, which is "character progression". Even if you don't get skill points in the game, you get the skill in *reality*, by the way you continuously andjust and play. You upgrade yourself.

I think we need completely new definitions for various types of games.

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom